Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 am

My mom called today and her '15 Kia Sorento had a blinking Check engine light. Which is never ever good. Anyway, read the code and it's a P1326 knock sensor. Apparently several TSBs about it. And likely needs an entire motor replacement... 61k miles...
Don't they have a 10 year warranty on that?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:50 pm

My mom called today and her '15 Kia Sorento had a blinking Check engine light. Which is never ever good. Anyway, read the code and it's a P1326 knock sensor. Apparently several TSBs about it. And likely needs an entire motor replacement... 61k miles...
Don't they have a 10 year warranty on that?
Yeah, 10 year powertrain. Sometimes they come with maintenance caveats (like having it done at the dealer) but she should still be covered.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:06 pm

Shitty modified background photos aside, very excited to have skipped work today to go buy this BMW M6.

507hp, V10, 6-speed, 68k miles, factory carbon fibre roof, Clean Carfax and AutoCheck, etc.

Not my first E63, or my first M6, but it is my first E63 M6. I have been actively looking all of this year. 1 of 323 M6 coupes produced with a manual transmission. It is also the only V10 BMW ever made, it's rooted in F1 technology (which has its consequences).
Got a great deal on it, they didn't know what they had and I caught the listing before it got fully advertised. Turned up at a Subaru dealer in northwest Indiana. Prior owner had a heart attack and decided to sell everything and move to Florida, it wasn't a trade. Car is fully detailed inside and out, looks brand new. Bone stock.

This is replacing the Z4 (traded) and SRT-4 (for sale, make offer).
Of the 13 BMWs I have owned most have been Bangle era (2000s) and this car is the top of that mountain. Very happy with myself right now. RRRRRRrrrrrrreeeeeeee.

This will get DD and track duty. It's HANS device time because this car is well beyond my capabilities. I may never progress enough to catch up to it, if I am honest.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Shitty modified background photos aside, very excited to have skipped work today to go buy this BMW M6.

507hp, V10, 6-speed, 68k miles, factory carbon fibre roof, Clean Carfax and AutoCheck, etc.

Not my first E63, or my first M6, but it is my first E63 M6. I have been actively looking all of this year. 1 of 323 M6 coupes produced with a manual transmission. It is also the only V10 BMW ever made, it's rooted in F1 technology (which has its consequences).
Got a great deal on it, they didn't know what they had and I caught the listing before it got fully advertised. Turned up at a Subaru dealer in northwest Indiana. Prior owner had a heart attack and decided to sell everything and move to Florida, it wasn't a trade. Car is fully detailed inside and out, looks brand new. Bone stock.

Of the 13 BMWs I have owned most have been Bangle era (2000s) and this car is the top of that mountain. Very happy with myself right now. RRRRRRrrrrrrreeeeeeee.

This will get DD and track duty. It's HANS device time because this car is well beyond my capabilities. I may never progress enough to catch up to it, if I am honest.

:thumb: Cool.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Would it be something covered by this recall and issue:

https://jalopnik.com/hyundai-kia-recall ... 1831839497

Sounds like there might be lifetime warranty coverage for this issue as well. And Kia offers a base 10/100,000 powertrain warranty, so a 2015 with 61k should be within the standard warranty coverage anyway. I think she's getting a free engine replacement.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Sounds like there might be lifetime warranty coverage for this issue as well. And Kia offers a base 10/100,000 powertrain warranty, so a 2015 with 61k should be within the standard warranty coverage anyway. I think she's getting a free engine replacement.
Certainly sounds like it. I checked the VIN on NHTSA website and there are no open recalls; she did say she had it in for a recall within the past year. So I am guessing she got a software flash of some sort, and now has the actual problem.

If the motor is truly knocking that's a hell of a sensor. I can't hear a knock whatsoever.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:16 am

Any shots of the interior, dodint? Looks clean as hell.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:47 am

Nice! But do the A/C fans turn down when you use Siri? :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:55 am

Any shots of the interior, dodint? Looks clean as hell.
They took the page down surprisingly fast and I haven't taken any of my own. Interior is black w/carbon fiber trim. I'm not overstating it when I say this car is nearly collector grade. A little bit of wear on the seat bolstering where the driver gets in and out, which is pretty much a BMW trait at this point. The PO had the entire car detailed, including the engine bay, two weeks before selling it. Just crazy.

The only thing that's kind of dated about these cars is their infotainment system. Luckily there is a company that makes a retrofit Android head unit for it. You just swap the old screen in the dash for a new one, plug in their cable harness which piggybacks on the factory one, and you're instantly in modern times: https://avinusa.com/8-8-multimedia-navi ... 3-e64.html

It's cool because it just layers the Android on top of your factory system; you get full functionality for both. And a much higher resolution screen than what the factory screen came with.

They make them for all kinds of factory screens, my buddy wants one for his F-150.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:53 am

Not gonna lie, I expected a much larger price tag for that infotainment system.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 am

Yeah. Considering what I've paid over the years to put navigation and/or bluetooth into stuff that is pretty reasonable, imo. I'm just grateful their still making current stuff for a 10-15 year old platform.

I have an Android Auto double-din head unit in my old van. It's easily the nicest thing in the van but I think I paid under $500 for it, installed. And that included the cost of running the back-up camera. Maybe that's just the market price for this kind of stuff these days.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 am

Awesome find, and good luck with tracking that. Even my M3 would scare the crap out of me some days.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 pm

That's awesome @dodint....I guess I didn't even think about HANS devices for weekend warriors but it obviously makes sense if you are slinging that thing around a track. I assume when you say racing, are you referring to time trial events? Just curious, because your world could not be further from mine :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Yeah, Time Trials. If I tried to take it wheel to wheel racing I would have to cut it up to put a cage in. In Time Trials we're on track at the same time, but competing against a stopwatch, so the passing isn't as contentious.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:24 pm

Yeah, Time Trials. If I tried to take it wheel to wheel racing I would have to cut it up to put a cage in. In Time Trials we're on track at the same time, but competing against a stopwatch, so the passing isn't as contentious.
That's awesome. I can only imagine the adrenaline rush.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:26 pm

Yeah, it's fun. You should come out and run the Pocono road course with us some time. They do Track Nights out there, same as above but without the stop watches.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Service manager said it was a software update. Flashed it and the problem didn't come back on the drive home, which I guess is good. It reappeared within 30 seconds of me clearing the code yesterday morning.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:03 pm

He pulled the fuse for the CEL...

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:27 pm

had to replace the battery in the Miata this morning and then put the new Outback in the shop this afternoon.

I knew about the battery issue since I bought the car last year. I was trying to see how far I could go before I had to tap out and buy a new one. Turns out that after letting the Miata sit for three weeks, there wasn't enough juice from my Halo or from a direct jump to get it running.

I'm surprised about having to take the Outback to the dealer so soon. For a car that is just barely passed 10k miles, I shouldn't have brakes/rotors that are shaking. As long as they replace them and consider them defective, then I don't care. I'm just hoping they're not gonna make me pay for them.

offsides

Postby offsides » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:34 pm

My Miata battery is into double digits of years in age. Probably should change it before it strands me somewhere. Little bit of a pain in the butt to change because of location in trunk. Not a lot of room where thy put it.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:10 pm

Yeah, decided to stop playing games with it and swap it. Turns out the battery was from 2012, so it was probably time.

The previous person didn't have as much patience with that flooring. It was like they snapped it off at the point where the battery is. Between the bracket and the lack of length of the battery cables, they really don't give you much margin or error for where the battery needs to be positioned.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:06 pm

I'm tempted by this '71 Sport Fury GT.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Only a couple hundred made that year right? 440?

offsides

Postby offsides » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:21 pm

Auto or manual?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:31 pm

I'd say more than a couple hundred but a lot of the sales figures on C bodies were thrown out at some point so the records are sketchy.

This is an automatic. You could get 3 on the tree with the 318/383 until 1970 I think.

They sell for 1/10 of what Chargers/Challengers/GTX etc go for.