Movie Thread

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:26 pm

There’s a reddit thread on it, and everyone is split.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:29 pm

81% and Certified Fresh on RT. I had hopes that it didn't suck and you ruined them.
I finished it this afternoon. You owe me that last hour or so of my life, because it was indeed ****.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:20 pm

Watched Pride and prejudice (2005) which just came to Netflix. Terrific movie. Never get tired of watching different versions of this.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Ah, so I wasn’t the only one who wasted time watching bad movies on Netflix today...

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Ah, so I wasn’t the only one who wasted time watching bad movies on Netflix today...
:lol: I'm a sucker for Jane Austen. It's a very funny movie.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:21 am

Ever since watching Hamilton, I've had Moana stuck in my brain. Watched it last night for the first time since it came out to rent and that is quite the Disney movie. Everything about it is simply perfect. Love it.
First time we saw Moana was on the plane back from Hawai'i following Mrs Tif's 50th. We watched it 2x back-to-back, when we got home I ordered the art book (which we have on display in our living room) and bought the OST, and I think that's the night I also bought the Hamilton OBC OST. There's just something about that movie that hits me square in the feels. Honestly, the only Disney movie that I might hold in higher regard is Mary Poppins.

I've seen a couple interviews these last 2 weeks with the creative team on the Hamilfilm, and they point of that by the end of its first weekend on D+ more people will have seen Hamilton than in all of its stage runs combined. That's just how few people they have played to, in comparison.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:13 am

Moana is still one of my favorites, and I hope there's a sequel.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:22 am

Old movie weekend roundup:

Three Days of the Condor was excellent, and it still holds up today. Very few weird, dated cinema cliches. Faye Dunaway...yowza.

Gorky Park didn’t hold up as well, and had some cheese in it. But William Hurt was solid, and any film with Lee Marvin in it has my attention. Emperor Palpatine was also in it, playing a creepy Russian doctor who recreates faces from skeletons. Very creepy.

The family watched Rain Man, which I hadn’t seen since it was in theaters. Dustin Hoffman earned every bit of that Oscar imo. Kids liked it as well. My older son is doing a horrendous summer reading project for high school, where he is reading Of Mine and Men and has to do a bunch of smaller projects like taking the characters from the book and putting them into a film or TV series to interact with characters from that film/show or vice versa. We figured Lenny and George were reasonably close to Charlie and Raymond, fwiw.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:42 pm

One of my favorite film scenes/scores.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Our daughter had a friend sleep over last night that had never watched Toy Story 4, so we watched that. Even though I was fully prepared for the ending, I was still letting out miserable choked sobs while also trying to console our daughter. I don't think I can watch that one anymore.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Our daughter had a friend sleep over last night that had never watched Toy Story 4, so we watched that. Even though I was fully prepared for the ending, I was still letting out miserable choked sobs while also trying to console our daughter. I don't think I can watch that one anymore.
:lol: The first movie I ever watched with my fiancé was Toy Story 3. This was obviously early on in the relationship and we're both ugly crying during a kids movie. But come on, that incinerator scene is unreal. I'm lucky she stuck with me after that.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:46 pm

One of my favorite film scenes/scores.

Ennio Morricone - composer of the score to The Untouchables, which goes "duh-da-da......duh-da"

;)

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm

:lol: The first movie I ever watched with my fiancé was Toy Story 3. This was obviously early on in the relationship and we're both ugly crying during a kids movie. But come on, that incinerator scene is unreal. I'm lucky she stuck with me after that.
We were already married by this point, but we went to the theater to see Up on opening weekend. Nothing humbles you more than aforesaid ugly crying in a room full of children watching a cartoon.

As the joke goes, Pixar told a better love story in 7 minutes with no dialog than Stephanie Meyer did in four entire novels and their associated movie adaptations.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:51 pm

the start of Up is brutal

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Movie Thread

Postby meow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:53 pm

The star of Up and the end of Coco. Niagara Falls, meow angel

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Oh **** yeah. We tried to watch that one together too and she made me turn it off before the end of the montage.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:59 pm

I think it was like 25 or 26 when I saw it and I still cried. it takes on hell of a montage to do that to a mid 20s male

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:10 pm

3 pieces of film I'll never watch again:

A Serbian Film
Salo
The first 5 minutes of Up

Sam's Drunk Dog

Movie Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:08 pm

The entirety of Requiem of a Dream and the Toilet scence from Trainspotting immediately come to mind.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:40 pm

The beginning of Up is brutal....and is also the best part of the movie.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:46 pm

I need to add the baseball boy scene from the directors cut of Doctor Sleep. That kid looks and sounds a lot like my son...

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:28 am

Requiem For A Dream....... and s Brazilian movie called Central Station........ most depressing movies I've ever seen. Like, days of recovery.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:26 pm

Things I've watched the past couple of days:

Twister - Just great. A movie that I always end up watching when flipping through the channels. Dumb fun with great characters and some memorable lines thanks to Michael Crichton's script. PSH steals every scene. Was surprised to learn that Preacher played Arnold in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Disappointed to learn that the Universal ride was replaced with some awful Jimmy Fallon ride. Sounds like a punishment.

The Patriot - Been a long time since I've seen this movie and it remains good but not great. Excellent performances from Gibson, Ledger, Jason Isaacs, Chris Cooper, Tom Wilkinson, Donal Logue, René Auberjonois, etc etc can't save the movie from just being too long with too much **** going on and too much focus on revenge. Sets and production are beautiful. Surprised to see 8 year old Logan Lerman as Mel's youngest son.

The Usual Suspects - One of my favorites. Great direction from Singer with a fantastic script by McQuarrie and great performances all around, which isn't something you usually associate Stephen Baldwin with. Love the way the entire tale unfolds.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Requiem For A Dream....... and s Brazilian movie called Central Station........ most depressing movies I've ever seen. Like, days of recovery.
Yeah Requiem is tough. Needed a shower after that one.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:07 pm

A couple more films, two based on books:

Eye of the Needle was based on a Ken Follett novel about a German spy trying to get D-Day plans from England to Germany. Donald Sutherland was the spy, and was creepy. This movie hasn’t aged well, with lots of closeups on his weapon of choice - a switchblade. Weird acting, but I was shocked to see nudity in a British film in the early 80s. A couple of odd love scenes between Sutherland and Kate Nelligan. Meh.

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold was excellent, based on John Le Carre’s debut novel. Richard Burton is the main character, and was 39 when it was filmed...but easily looks close to 60. He always looked old, and died at 58 (I thought he’d been much older). Very enjoyable imo. Evidently, Aidan Gillen is signed on for a remake (BBC?) - playing the same character. That might be interesting, but the original is very well done.

The family movie night film was Jerry Maguire, which holds up pretty well. RIP Kelly Preston, who looked stunning in that one scene my wife and I forgot about. Terrible, terrible parents. :face: Anyhoo, the kids liked the rest of it and now know where “Show me the money” memes come from. :lol: