Home Improvement Thread

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:04 pm

Just need a quick advice: for the last several days, I sense that our HVAC system is - surprisingly - cooling "way too much" (it's 90+F outside, but the air coming to our house is really cold). We haven't had our annual summer maintenance done yet (coronavirus concerns) - so we just scheduled that for Tuesday. But, in the meantime - any ideas why this may be happening (other than me getting sick and feeling imaginary chills)?

Importantly - there are two pipes at the base of our unit - one (thicker) is tightly wrapped in insulation, and I *think* that one is cold. But - the other one (more narrow, copper-colored) is always warm - is that the correct way? (I know nothing about HVAC, obviously...)

Thanks!!
I was going to say that low refrigerant in your system can lead to the unit blowing very cold air, but when that happens, your evaporator coil eventually freezes up and then no cold air will blow in your house. If you want to check your coil to see if that's what's happening, check out this video:

Ironically enough, the video - which I found while looking for a shot of the A coil to show you - goes on to say that an oversized condenser is the guy's issue.

Tomas

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Tomas » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:54 pm

Just need a quick advice: for the last several days, I sense that our HVAC system is - surprisingly - cooling "way too much" (it's 90+F outside, but the air coming to our house is really cold). We haven't had our annual summer maintenance done yet (coronavirus concerns) - so we just scheduled that for Tuesday. But, in the meantime - any ideas why this may be happening (other than me getting sick and feeling imaginary chills)?

Importantly - there are two pipes at the base of our unit - one (thicker) is tightly wrapped in insulation, and I *think* that one is cold. But - the other one (more narrow, copper-colored) is always warm - is that the correct way? (I know nothing about HVAC, obviously...)

Thanks!!
I was going to say that low refrigerant in your system can lead to the unit blowing very cold air, but when that happens, your evaporator coil eventually freezes up and then no cold air will blow in your house. If you want to check your coil to see if that's what's happening, check out this video:

Ironically enough, the video - which I found while looking for a shot of the A coil to show you - goes on to say that an oversized condenser is the guy's issue.
Awesome - thanks!! Definitely not an oversized condenser in our case - so I hope for the low refrigerant (which they always check during the semi-annual maintenance visit). Let's hope everything will be resolved on Tuesday...

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:23 am

anyone ever use closet factory at costco?

King Colby

Home Improvement Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:30 am

@NTP66 those lights are life changing.

Trip McNeely

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 am

@NTP66 those lights are life changing.
I was just gonna post that. Put them in the unfinished portion of my basement and they are great! I was planning on switching my keyless lights to long, led shop lights but I don’t need that now. Thanks @NTP66

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 am

My parents bought my kids a permanent basketball pole and backboard set for Christmas, against my wishes. I didn't want one for a variety of reasons, as we aren't sure how long we'll be in this house (although that isn't an issue right now, as we aren't going anywhere) and we're probably going to widen the driveway this year to make room for another car (as my son will get his permit/license next year. Good grief). Plus, I really didn't want to install it. :lol:

My kids went away to my parents for the week, so I decided to install it as a surprise when they got home. My wife asked me if I needed to call and ask a friend for help, and I almost declined. How hard could it be? Then I thought better of it, and called a friend who happens to be a machine tool operator.

This thing nearly killed the both of us. First of all, Dick's Sporting Goods sold my parents a pole system that wasn't quite compatible with the backboard system. My friend had to drill multiple holes in the mounting bracket, just to get the U bolt to work. Of course, that made the U bolt too short to work with the springs for the rim, so he had to take the springs to work and trim them.

The directions themselves were awful, especially the final steps mounting the elevator system to the backboard. We had to switch elevator arms around multiple times - the diagrams were inaccurate with one showing three holes and the other four holes on the various arms, but the actual arms had four and five holes respectively.

Then came the cement. The instructions called for 540 lbs of cement. Yeah right. I used 160 lbs at the base of the pole, and another bag DOWN THE POLE ITSELF. That was supposed to be done by leaning the pole on a sawhorse and taping the bottom, filling it up with cement, letting it cure overnight, then insert into the ground sleeve. There was no way the two of us could maneuver the pole with cement in it - we could barely lift the pole empty and get it into the sleeve. I just shuttled cement up a ladder and down the pole. 80lbs. Up and down a friggin' ladder.

What an enormous pain in the ass. About 6 hours of work over three days. But, the kids love it and will probably need it for PE class at home this fall.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 am

oh god that sounds terrible.

here is what PE at the meow household will be this school year:

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:05 am

I forgot to mention it was 90F plus the entire time. I lost about five pounds of water each day.

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 am

I didn't know they still sold permanent hoops. I only ever see the ones on wheels. Why not go that route? I've helped a few friends put those together and they're super easy.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:21 am

Just don't stare into those LED lights, unless you want to see what heaven supposedly looks like.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:44 am

I didn't know they still sold permanent hoops. I only ever see the ones on wheels. Why not go that route? I've helped a few friends put those together and they're super easy.
We've had two of them. One sudden wind gust - even with sandbags on it - and it falls over and pushes the rim bolts through the backboard. I had massive washers on the last one to keep it semi-functional, but it was still loose and prone to weird rebounds.

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:46 am

We've had two of them. One sudden wind gust - even with sandbags on it - and it falls over and pushes the rim bolts through the backboard. I had massive washers on the last one to keep it semi-functional, but it was still loose and prone to weird rebounds.
Damn never had that issue. Filled the bases with the recommended amount of sand and were good to go.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:47 am

We've filled them with water, and put 3-5 sand bags on top of it, and they still blow over in non-tropical pop up storms. Of course, I lay them down for the five or so tropical storms we've had over the last 3 years. The last one had quarter sized filling hole, and the sand I got was moist and wasn't easy to fill with sand. So we used water, which of course leaks/evaporates. Good times.

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:51 am

I'm guessing Pittsburgh doesn't get the same storms/wind that you're dealing with in your neck of the woods. We had a permanent hoop when I was a kid and I loved it. I felt like we had a "real" hoop while the kids with those portable hoops just had toys. Of course, I was jealous of their ability to lower the hoop and dunk.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am

Yeah, this one is fully adjustable from 6-10FT. Of course my kids dropped it to 6 ft, and immediately started (attempting) to dunk on it. If they break it a week into the install... :lol:

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:07 pm

I have a tree service in cutting down 10 pine trees today. Pretty cool to see how quick they work.
What did they do with the trees/wood? Take it? Leave it? Cord it?

King Colby

Home Improvement Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:43 pm

oh god that sounds terrible.

here is what PE at the meow household will be this school year:
Plot twist... the bottle points at you every time.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:51 pm

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:10 am

NTP66 those lights are life changing.
I was just gonna post that. Put them in the unfinished portion of my basement and they are great! I was planning on switching my keyless lights to long, led shop lights but I don’t need that now. Thanks NTP66
Mine came yesterday. Can't wait to try them out. I'm thinking two in the utility room of my basement and two in the garage. I have four light bulbs in the garage but thinking I don't need all four of them out there. :lol:

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:04 am

I'll be putting them to the test this weekend when I replace the o2 sensor near the firewall on my car. Hoping to not have to use a work light for it.

nocera

Home Improvement Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:40 am

The ant saga continues. Just found a big old black ant in the house. I killed it before I thought that of checking to see if it was a carpenter ant. Now every single website I see is alarmist and saying one ant means an infestation. Though, to be fair, those are all exterminator sites looking for business.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:33 am

I was just gonna post that. Put them in the unfinished portion of my basement and they are great! I was planning on switching my keyless lights to long, led shop lights but I don’t need that now. Thanks NTP66
Mine came yesterday. Can't wait to try them out. I'm thinking two in the utility room of my basement and two in the garage. I have four light bulbs in the garage but thinking I don't need all four of them out there. :lol:
For sake of ease and my laziness, would you mind posting a link? My garage is always dim so I think this may help

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:37 am

For sake of ease and my laziness, would you mind posting a link? My garage is always dim so I think this may help
2-pack:

4-pack:

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:03 am

Just ordered the two pack...one going in the garage the other in the laundry room.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:05 am

I should have setup an affiliate link for those to get a few pennies from all of these sales.