Everything golf

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 pm

none of the bigger names are playing too well at the moment
And the one guy that most were fading (Spieth) put together a nice opening round. But yeah, DJ, Matsuyama, JT, Schauffele etc. off to bad starts.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:48 pm

Good round from Tiger today.

Finau with nine (!) birdies on the day, but Palmer's bogey free round was impressive too.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 pm

Funny how things today were so much different to last week on the same track:

--Ryan Palmer goes bogey-free after shooting 77-81 last week and taking a 9 on the par 3 16th
--Justin Thomas & Collin Morikawa light up the place for -19 apiece last week but combine for 4 birdies today
--Kevin Streelman got himself a top-6 finish, though he was stagnant on the weekend. He shot +3 today

And then there's DJ and Fowler who put 80 and 81 on the board respectively. I wondered how Jack might spice up the course after it got obliterated last week but all he needed was a nice stiff breeze and no mowers in the rough.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 pm

The analysis I read was that with Jack replacing the greens after this and growing the rough out, we may see a mini US Open break out. Not far from the truth so far.. he also really liked DJ on this style so that was a nice DK pick. I have JT in my one and done. Not out of it but needs a good Friday. Someone in my pool has picked three straight winners which is just insanity

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:12 am

The analysis I read was that with Jack replacing the greens after this and growing the rough out, we may see a mini US Open break out. Not far from the truth so far.. he also really liked DJ on this style so that was a nice DK pick. I have JT in my one and done. Not out of it but needs a good Friday. Someone in my pool has picked three straight winners which is just insanity
The way this pool works is that of your five picks, four must make the cut. Rahm, Cantlay and Rahm looking pretty solid, Matsuyama not looking good, which leaves JT. All hinges on him. Making the weekend is huge in this pool because the herd thins considerably from the original 59 entries.

If all five of your picks make the cut, you get the four best scores after Sunday which obviously helps if someone turns to sht on the weekend.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 am

Oh that sounds fun. I think I was in one like that for the masters one year, only you had to pick guys from certain tiers

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:07 pm

The cut line has been fascinating to watch this afternoon. Might come down to the last group

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Rahm, Cantlay and Rahm huh @shafnutz05 ? :lol:

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Rahm, Cantlay and Rahm huh shafnutz05 ? :lol:
Haha oops.

Man am I happy to see JT wake up.

I've got him, Rahm, Cantlay, and Rory for the weekend. Can't complain there with all four of my players under par. I'm betting there will be a lot of people that didn't make the weekend with all the big names that played poorly.

Oh, and FU Bryson.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Ahh Rory. Was wondering who the last one was because otherwise you were in good shape. Bryson taking a ten was beautiful

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:06 pm

Ahh Rory. Was wondering who the last one was because otherwise you were in good shape. Bryson taking a ten was beautiful
Yeah that 10 was a thing of beauty. Two shots inside the cut line to 3 out.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Took the day off and played 18 up at Rolling Acres.

Shot a 3 over 38 on the front then played bogey golf on the back.

Breaking 80 still eludes me.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:23 pm

Tied for first in the pool at 17 under. Guy I'm tied with has the same exact lineup. His tiebreaker is a winning score of -13, mine is -15. First time I've entered this pool, $100 buy in and a $2600 first place prize. That would be nice....

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:22 pm

And then he whined to the rules official about the ruling and wanted a 2nd opinion only to get the same ruling. I'm sitting there in our taperoom yelling at the screen 'IT'S A BOUNDARY FENCE YOU FOOL'. Apparently, hot mics picked up him saying that he was gonna get 'f'd on another ruling'. Then his caddy stepped in front of the camera at 16 tee after his tee shot so we couldn't watch Bryson walk off. Gotta protect that brand, ya know.

Bryson can crush the ball 800 miles for all I care but until he gets better with those wedges and irons and take advantage of those monster drives, he's just gonna be another Daly or Bubba. Even when he won at Detroit, he had a number of missed opportunities after crushing 370+ yard drives.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 pm

He’s such a Canaan.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:27 pm

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:39 am

And then he whined to the rules official about the ruling and wanted a 2nd opinion only to get the same ruling. I'm sitting there in our taperoom yelling at the screen 'IT'S A BOUNDARY FENCE YOU FOOL'. Apparently, hot mics picked up him saying that he was gonna get 'f'd on another ruling'. Then his caddy stepped in front of the camera at 16 tee after his tee shot so we couldn't watch Bryson walk off. Gotta protect that brand, ya know.

Bryson can crush the ball 800 miles for all I care but until he gets better with those wedges and irons and take advantage of those monster drives, he's just gonna be another Daly or Bubba. Even when he won at Detroit, he had a number of missed opportunities after crushing 370+ yard drives.
Yup. I keep seeing all these articles about how he has broken the game of golf. Not yet.

I'm curious as to yinz thoughts on Jack's distance comments

https://golf.com/news/jack-nicklaus-usg ... -distance/
“The USGA has got to wake up sooner or later, the R&A,” Nicklaus said Thursday on the Golf Channel’s broadcast of the first round of the Memorial. “They can’t keep burying their heads to this. They see it, they watch television, they see where these guys hit the golf ball. It isn’t about how far they hit it. You just can’t keep making golf courses longer. You just don’t have enough land. You don’t have enough money to do it.

“And the golf ball is a very, very simple thing to fix. And I’ve been preaching about it, good gracious, I’ve been preaching about it now – 43 years I first went to the USGA. I mean, that’s a long time to be saying, “Well, we’re studying it.’ Guys, stop studying. Do something, will you please?”
I'm honestly torn on this. He has a good point that you can't just keep lengthening golf courses.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:16 am

I'm all for a tournament ball

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:50 am

I think a tournament ball makes sense because less than 1% of the golfing population is a professional golfer and has the capability of hitting it 350+ yards. If you scaled down the ball across the board, us normal people would die away from the game because we're not hitting it all that far. I think a lot of people play because they have allusions of grandeur that someday, they'll hit a 200-yard 7 iron (I hit mine 235 last year at Portrush but I had the wind behind me lol) or a 320-yard driver (not at Denver altitude either). The USGA and R&A has resisted bifurcation for so many years as it pertains to the rules of the game and I think they're correct about that. But in the case of the ball, if they want to be serious about the distance situation, they have to bifurcate for it. Golf courses like Merion, for example, can never host another men's major because it can't be expanded. Augusta National had to buy up a $7 million chunk of Augusta CC next door so it could potentially extend the tee box on 13.

At the same time, Jack is also right in that you can still grow the rough up and hem in the fairways for tournament weeks and make the greens faster. The Memorial scores also got boosted higher because the wind came up on Thursday and knocked everything down. But that 6-inch rough is no joke too and if you don't hold the fairway, you're gonna be in trouble.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Tough day for JT and Cantlay, who was looking great until the last 3 holes. Rahm woke up on the back nine.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:11 pm

The last 7 holes today was Exhibit A of why Tony Finau has just one PGA Tour win (an opposite field event to boot). Like Bryson, you can hit the ball 8000 miles but if you don't have the precision, touch, and smarts to get it from tee to hole, you're just going to be someone who racks up top 10s and FedExCup points.

Rahm's going to win tomorrow and if he does, he'll go to #1 in the world unless Rory makes a serious run to 2nd place.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:16 pm

I like Finau but his game definitely lacks refinement.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:47 pm

The last 7 holes today was Exhibit A of why Tony Finau has just one PGA Tour win (an opposite field event to boot). Like Bryson, you can hit the ball 8000 miles but if you don't have the precision, touch, and smarts to get it from tee to hole, you're just going to be someone who racks up top 10s and FedExCup points.

Rahm's going to win tomorrow and if he does, he'll go to #1 in the world unless Rory makes a serious run to 2nd place.
The approach shot into the Par 5 that he left short of the shortside bunker was a real headscratcher. Left it in the one spot where a birdie was nigh impossible.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:02 am

Not gonna see many low scores today