Job and General Employment Thread

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 am

i'm back in the office today and the mother effer next to me is still fiddling with a **** binder clip 8 hours a day and it makes me want to scream

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 am

My sisters employment got cut down to 10 hours a week, so under the qualifying amount for benefits. I would've thought accounting might've been a little insulated from this but I guess not.
My cousin is in accounting and got straight up let go. She said, "if there aren't enough beans to count, you don't need as many bean counters."

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 am

Source of the post In any event both of our jobs are as secure as can be during something like this and for that I am thankful.
That's good. I'm still a little nervous because of all the talk of possible changes, and apparently unemployment affects our financial stability (medicaid, I think?). Pre-covid, our census was over 100% for a very, very long time, so we had been doing quite well.
Yes. Medicaid pays usually somewhere around 20% less on average. So with the Medicaid population going up, revenue is going down.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 am

Brutal but honest reasoning.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:09 am

Source of the post In any event both of our jobs are as secure as can be during something like this and for that I am thankful.
That's good. I'm still a little nervous because of all the talk of possible changes, and apparently unemployment affects our financial stability (medicaid, I think?). Pre-covid, our census was over 100% for a very, very long time, so we had been doing quite well.
Yes. Medicaid pays usually somewhere around 20% less on average. So with the Medicaid population going up, revenue is going down.
This is one of the questions I plan on submitting for the next town hall - asking what revenue is like right now compared to a few months ago. I'm grateful that they do update us every two weeks, and appear to be pretty transparent, but it's still a little scary. Though, healthcare tends to be a little more stable than other industries.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:56 am

My company just let 30 people go, including my manager. So yeah, today's off to a great start.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am

I am fortunate my wife and I both work for industries that are essential, but not necessarily are essential ourselves (so we can WFH).
Same - both of us work for health systems. By all accounts, we're going full time WFH. It's mentioned constantly, even by our CIO. My wife's company? Their CIO has made comments at their town halls about people "asking him when we can return because we miss it". Lying. Through. His. Teeth. The irony is that this guy owns a consulting company that is 100% remote worker, but hates it when these guys work from home. My wife has to fill out an Excel spreadsheet of the stuff she works on when working from home, daily.
Yep, dude is a big liar. He just personally hates remote working then and said the "because we miss it" line to soften the blow of having to come back to the office.."You asked for it!"

I've never met someone who wants (even if forced) to return the office after working remote. I'm sure there are exceptions but they are rare.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am

How nice with everything going on people are still self-righteous tool bags on LinkedIn. Thanks for posting the story of you supposedly saving some service worker's job because you stepped in while their manager was yelling at the worker. Yeah, because that r/thathappened you a**. Then all the fawning comments. LinkedIn has pretty much turned into Facebook.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:44 am

My company just let 30 people go, including my manager. So yeah, today's off to a great start.
Oof. Good luck to you, nocera.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:45 am

Unlike my sister, my brother is doing well at the moment. He has been hired on as a sub-contractor at a NASA facility in West Virginia. Full remote, but not a permanent assignment (what gov contracting is?). But he'll make great connections, get better experience, and may come out of it with a security clearance.

He'll be supporting this facility: https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ivv/about/index.html

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Awesome! They just renamed that facility for Katherine Johnson.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:17 am

July is a 3 paycheck month for me, and I just received my PPL cash out check. So I guess that's one good thing about the current times.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:09 am

Looking for a job right now is torture.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:59 am

I'm being offered a new role elsewhere in the company which isn't exactly what I want but could be a good lateral stepping stone. Kinda scary to take it and have to onboard during this time, but also if I stay where I am its kind of wasted time at this point. I'm about 75/25 to do it as long as there's a pay bump.

Could be a good time to do it and have a year of growth vs a year of diminishing returns, especially considering there probably won't be much movement on the job front for the next year or so

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:27 am

The girl whose office is next to mine just got back from Myrtle Beach and doesn't feel the need to do the 14 day quarantine. Cool

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:47 am

The girl whose office is next to mine just got back from Myrtle Beach and doesn't feel the need to do the 14 day quarantine. Cool
And your office doesn't have any policies set in place to prohibit this? **** that ****.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:00 am

The partners have been itching to get everyone back here, they aren't sending her home. I'd bet she's here more because she feels like she had to be moreso than she doesn't care about the guidelines

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:59 am

Does anyone have any ideas for an optional outdoor team building activity?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:06 am

I don't know the cost involved, but my company has done the Rise Against Hunger meal packaging event a few times. It's a lot of fun and a good cause. Our last meal packaging took place entirely outdoors.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:11 am

Tear down a statue of Ronald McDonald...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:05 pm

I'm thinking more fun and less service and not company sanctioned...

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:10 pm

Four words: slip and slide kickball.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:40 pm

My wife came home an hour early today. Said her boss put her on an action plan because she feels that my wife doesn't respect her and hurts her feelings. I couldn't imagine how incompetent of a manager you have to be to take your own employee to both of your managing director over hurt feelings and that your employee "doesn't stick up for you". Working from home for the past 3 months has shown me that she's an ineffective boss, communicator, leader.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:43 pm

My wife came home an hour early today. Said her boss put her on an action plan because she feels that my wife doesn't respect her and hurts her feelings. I couldn't imagine how incompetent of a manager you have to be to take your own employee to both of your managing director over hurt feelings and that your employee "doesn't stick up for you". Working from home for the past 3 months has shown me that she's an ineffective boss, communicator, leader.
Any examples?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:49 pm

I know the feeling.

My wife was just written up officially for a verbal warning (how do you write up a verbal warning) over being too emotional. Stems from coworkers implementing a change in her department without consulting her and ahead of the boss's schedule (this created a situation where my wife was given a 50% increase in work).
There's also a poisonous nurse who creates drama who had handed my wife insurance reviews to be done six times after the structure change, after an official meeting with her about the structure change and how it wasn't one of my wife's responsibilities anymore, so on the sixth time instead of my wife saying "Ok, I'll take that to Jane, since she does those now," she simply said "Yeah, that's for Jane." and it hurt the nurse's feelings.

Needless to say resumes have gone out this last week.

Meanwhile, my employer is about to file for bankruptcy. So, good times.