5AF Parenting Thread

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:13 pm

Or she could hit a growth spurt around 10 years old too.

The fun side of parenting.
Lol yep but I was more referring to the being a year younger part.

I read an article one time about kids birth months and how it can impact school and sports. Generally the older kids for their grade may be set up better for successm Was interesting

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 pm

It's a tough spot for sure. The daycare lil mac is at has told us he seems to be somewhat advanced for his age but it's still early and things could change. He is a Sept 1 birthday. So he's likely going to be the oldest kid in his class.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:37 pm

If she's testing well, move her up. The worst thing you can do for a child is put them in a situation that will bore them. (Obviously, this is just my opinion...)
I agree with this. Also, girls tend to mature much quicker, so her slightly younger age shouldn’t be a social problem.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:09 am

Does the school offer the chance to move your daughter into an advanced reading/math class? My son was reading at nearly a 2nd grade level in kindergarten so they moved him into a special reading group.

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:17 am

Or she could hit a growth spurt around 10 years old too.

The fun side of parenting.
Lol yep but I was more referring to the being a year younger part.

I read an article one time about kids birth months and how it can impact school and sports. Generally the older kids for their grade may be set up better for successm Was interesting
Yeah, that one Malcolm Gladwell book dives into that pretty heavily. I don't see this one being serious about athletics, though.

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:20 am

If she's testing well, move her up. The worst thing you can do for a child is put them in a situation that will bore them. (Obviously, this is just my opinion...)
I agree with this. Also, girls tend to mature much quicker, so her slightly younger age shouldn’t be a social problem.
Thanks, was curious as to your thoughts. That is something most of the educators we've spoken to have pointed out. She's very communicative but a little shy. The size and shyness could be an initial hurdle being with kids that have already had a year in public school, but the faster overall maturity for girls makes me feel OK in the long run.

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:21 am

Does the school offer the chance to move your daughter into an advanced reading/math class? My son was reading at nearly a 2nd grade level in kindergarten so they moved him into a special reading group.
They do, but they seem reluctant to offer it in kindergarten. Officially, they start it in first grade, but unofficially, they've said that they do offer in kindergarten for special cases.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:32 am

Thanks, was curious as to your thoughts. That is something most of the educators we've spoken to have pointed out. She's very communicative but a little shy. The size and shyness could be an initial hurdle being with kids that have already had a year in public school, but the faster overall maturity for girls makes me feel OK in the long run.
Size isn’t much of an issue with girls either... and she’ll probably hit a growth spurt and then tower over the boys in elementary school, lol. The shyness is a little tougher. Both my girls are pretty shy. However, they established a small group of good friends which lasted. You could try to have some play dates after you start with a couple kids that she seems to get along with. Once she has a couple friends, that shyness isn’t as big a deal. Just needs to be comfortable with a couple kids at school.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Our daycare is having a fundraising event (bingo tournament or something).
Is this something most for-profit child care centers do... ?

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Not to my knowledge.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Our daycare does a yearly fundraiser to raise funds for some of their specialty programs.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:52 pm

I was just curious. It's our first year at this place. I thought the tuition was their fundraiser.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:10 pm

Well, it's pretty easy to opt out of doing the fundraiser: just don't do it.

I think at our place it's for more of the special things, like the soccer camps, tumble bus, etc that they bring in. It allows them to do those things at lower cost and not put the cost onto tuition.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:45 pm

I was just curious. It's our first year at this place. I thought the tuition was their fundraiser.
What do they think they are, a university?

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Well, it's pretty easy to opt out of doing the fundraiser: just don't do it.

I think at our place it's for more of the special things, like the soccer camps, tumble bus, etc that they bring in. It allows them to do those things at lower cost and not put the cost onto tuition.
I'm not complaining about it. They want a case of pop and a donation to the basket for each age group. My kids age is gardening so I'll buy a few seed packets and call it a day. I was just curious if other day cares did that. I don't plan on attending the event.

Also new at daycare they are pushing a diaper subscription. No word on the prices but we were sent home with samples today.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:30 am

Alright... who the hell started these damn sticker and book clubs? We got a letter asking us to send stickers to a friend of a friend's kid... okay. Cool, we can do that. And then we're to send the letter to six others who will send stickers to the person who sent it to us. What, whaaaa? Can't I just send some stickers and be done with it? Then a few days later we got the same invite for a book thing. Send a book to so and so, and then send to six people so they can send books to the person who sent it to us. I don't want to disappoint a kid, but I also don't want to rack my brain for 12 different people to send these letters to that have kids because we got them from two separate people, sending the sticker AND book letter to the same people seems weirder than this situation already is.

Maybe I'll just get 6 things of stickers, 6 books (lord knows my daughter already has more than she needs) and send them from fake people's names and break the chain off at us. My kid doesn't need more stickers and books than she already has. :lol:

I fully acknowledge this is an old man "get off my lawn" moment.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:42 am

I rewired a hand-me-down power wheels Cadillac Escalade for lil mac and let him drive it last night.

Should not have rewired it to go so fast :lol:
he loves it though.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:38 pm

Alright... who the hell started these damn sticker and book clubs? We got a letter asking us to send stickers to a friend of a friend's kid... okay. Cool, we can do that. And then we're to send the letter to six others who will send stickers to the person who sent it to us. What, whaaaa? Can't I just send some stickers and be done with it? Then a few days later we got the same invite for a book thing. Send a book to so and so, and then send to six people so they can send books to the person who sent it to us. I don't want to disappoint a kid, but I also don't want to rack my brain for 12 different people to send these letters to that have kids because we got them from two separate people, sending the sticker AND book letter to the same people seems weirder than this situation already is.

Maybe I'll just get 6 things of stickers, 6 books (lord knows my daughter already has more than she needs) and send them from fake people's names and break the chain off at us. My kid doesn't need more stickers and books than she already has. :lol:

I fully acknowledge this is an old man "get off my lawn" moment.
Oh lord, you too? Thank God my wife is handling all of that nonsense.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:10 pm

Hmmm... maybe I'll just leave it to my wife since both letters came from her friends. None of my friends have kids...

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:41 am

We got one of those years ago, and I dutifully sent stickers out to six people, no one else sent stickers to us. Typical. lol

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Lil mac woke up at 430 today and didn't go back to sleep. So he went down for a nap around 915. 130 and he's still asleep :lol:

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:07 am

My mom (our normal monday child care) had her knee operated on today so lil mac is running solo with dad. So far he's smeared peanut butter on his hair and was found standing on the island countertop eating cinnamon toast crunch. I'd say I'm winning today. It's hard to believe I did this for 2 months back in march/april

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:19 pm

I rewired a hand-me-down power wheels Cadillac Escalade for lil mac and let him drive it last night.

he loves it though.
Blown up a gearbox on my little guy's Avengers coupe by putting two 6v in series when it didn't have the power to make it up our driveway. Oops.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:43 pm

he loves it though.
Blown up a gearbox on my little guy's Avengers coupe by putting two 6v in series when it didn't have the power to make it up our driveway. Oops.
Yeah, that's what I was warned of too. His escalade actually has a high/low speed with a lockout screw, so I just threw the lockout screw back in it to prolong the life.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 pm

Any suggestions on a fun day/1 night trip for a toddler that involves things that are open?

Thinking like a state park or something like that outdoors. Cautious of water parks and museums.

Wife now has a 3 day weekend next week so I figured we'd do something fun Friday.