Video Games

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:47 pm

There are places now that you can buy decent, prebuilt systems and when the time comes I can upgrade as I please. I've been playing a decent bit of Warzone and other shooters, with the need for cross platform play being limited to 60 fps is rough?

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:49 pm

That's kind of what I did. Bought an Alienware and then made some modest upgrades over time. But my PC has a lot of input and output devices so it might be harder to manage than a machine built for a shooter. My machine has 3 sound cards, two external amplifiers, several different control peripreals, three monitors, and a VR headset to manage. And specialized software that runs that stuff. It's rare that I sit down and everything just works when it boots.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm thinking this is the year to make the jump to PC
The main advantage PC had over consoles was the ability to run higher resolutions and frame rates. Now that there are consoles that can do 4k/60 fps/HDR, that's much less of an advantage imo.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:54 pm

The biggest advantage of PC is the ability to upgrade and replace parts, IMO. Consoles will never match that.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:59 pm

That could be its biggest disadvantage too, in a way. Right now, I can go buy any Xbox game and know I can play it without any issues on my 7 year old Xbox One. That wouldn't be the same on a 7 year old PC.

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:04 pm

My big issue with PC is the space it takes up and the proximity required. I like that I can tuck my console in a TV stand and sit way away from it because all I need is a wireless controller.

Most PC games require the mouse and keyboard and unless you want to shell out for wireless versions, and then you're still stuck with a small (in comparison) monitor.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:09 pm

The biggest advantage of PC is the ability to upgrade and replace parts, IMO. Consoles will never match that.
To me, this is a question of form factor more than hardware. The last time I updated my PC (about ten years ago now), I got a new proc, mobo, and gfx card.............. which is effectively a whole new machine that just went into the existing case.

If you don't update components on a fairly regular basis (which maybe you do, I don't know) then modularity is not a particularly useful trait imo.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:10 pm

If you go with a gaming board, CPU, RAM up front, which most gamers do, I'd argue that you can simply upgrade your GPU and be set.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:27 pm

I'm thinking this is the year to make the jump to PC
The main advantage PC had over consoles was the ability to run higher resolutions and frame rates. Now that there are consoles that can do 4k/60 fps/HDR, that's much less of an advantage imo.
I have the 4k 60 fps console set up now and while it's great I'd rather run at a lower resolution and higher frame rate. Plus with PC you have more settings available. One example is POV in Warzone, I think console is locked to 60 while PC can go to 120. Having a wider field of view has the potential to make the difference between getting steam rolled and getting the jump on opponents

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:28 pm

But again, unless you're doing that on a regular basis, you're not gaining much. You still end up spending $500 every few years, like you do upgrading to the new console gen.

Granted, another thing to consider is the proprietary nature of consoles. I can't play Gears Of War on my PlayStation, and an MSFT gamer can't play The Last Of Us on their XBone.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:36 pm

I've always enjoyed working on electronics and have turned it into a career so I think I'd enjoy tinkering around. Plus I'd like to start editing my clips and get back into editing photos so it'd be nice to have a machine I can do all that on

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:53 pm

It is nice having a gaming PC for video and photo editing. I am always reminded of that when I try to use my business spec laptop to work video data at the track.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:46 pm

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:12 pm

I can run Crysis on my PC, though.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Jokes on you crisis has been running my life for 31 years

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:04 pm

I see the Steam Summer Sale has started up. I would have gone with this tagline for this year: "The Steam Summer Sale: What the eff else are you going to do all summer?"

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:32 pm

Some people are a real piece of work. Was playing Apex when our 3rd teammate quit before launch leaving us a t a disadvantage. Whatever, gotta make due. We were doing well as a team nothing out of the ordinary, when late game, my teammate jumps on the mic. We get cornered by 2 full teams and he starts berating me over every move I made because I guess I can’t read his mind.

With 4 teams left we managed to wipe the other 3 squads singlehandedly. He died leaving me in a 1v1 scenario, and ending closing the match ftw. His words of “celebration” was “About time you did something right.”

I finished the match with over 1k damage and he sniped a bunch of my kills leaving me with only 3. It was also my third win of the day. Our match went really well for a random match while down 1 man.

**** off dude.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:27 pm

Some people are a real piece of work. Was playing Apex when our 3rd teammate quit before launch leaving us a t a disadvantage. Whatever, gotta make due. We were doing well as a team nothing out of the ordinary, when late game, my teammate jumps on the mic. We get cornered by 2 full teams and he starts berating me over every move I made because I guess I can’t read his mind.

With 4 teams left we managed to wipe the other 3 squads singlehandedly. He died leaving me in a 1v1 scenario, and ending closing the match ftw. His words of “celebration” was “About time you did something right.”

I finished the match with over 1k damage and he sniped a bunch of my kills leaving me with only 3. It was also my third win of the day. Our match went really well for a random match while down 1 man.

**** off dude.
:lol: Playing with randos is the worst.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:47 am

So there is a new sniper rifle in Modern Warfare, the Barrett .50 cal.

The challenge to unlock it is 3 quick scope kills in 15 matches, using a sniper or marksman rifle.

My son gets on and completes the challenge in under an hour. Me? I go 2-29, 4-14, 1-8 and don’t get a single quick scope kill. :lol:

I simply do not have the reflexes to quick scope, nor the patience with getting my ass handed to me in order to learn the skill.

Hence, he will be unlocking it for me later today. :lol:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:23 am

:lol: you need to get those incendiary rounds unlocked. 4 shots and it'll destroy the little side by side. I played a couple quick matches of hardcore shipment and was absolutely crushing the quick scopes. Kar98 is so fast to ads now

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:05 pm

Yeah, that’s what my kid told me. None of mine were registering, with the Kar or carbine. Boo.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:22 pm

I was running it with the combat holo sight, no work tomorrow for means I'm getting gfueled out of my mind tonight. I might just run kar or HDR in warzone anyway. Solid buffs to the kar and HDR body shot with no armor is a down now.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:57 pm

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:54 pm

:lol: That roundhouse kick was beautiful.

On another note, finally getting around to playing Uncharted 4. The Uncharted series never fails to exceed my expectations. The beginning has been great.
I lost it at the part where you play the first level of Crash Bandicoot. Too good.

A nice touch they included, I initially tried using the thumbstick, which didn't do anything, then I realized they are using an original PS. Thumbsticks didn't exist on a PS controller when Crash came out. I then gladly switched to the d-pad.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:05 pm

The epilogue to UC4 is the most satisfying resolution to a video game..... maybe any story..... I've ever enjoyed. It is sheer perfection, and it's one of those things I wish I could experience for the first time again.

On a related note, the Retro Replay YT channel is doing a special series of TLOU 'speedruns' with a gamer called Anthony Caliber. They are live right now (as of 1 pm PDT) and just switched over to TLOU2, so I shut 'er down. But earlier, I watched him beat the David coop fight in 90 seconds, and he straight up just ran past all the Infected in the SLC tunnel level. On Grounded difficulty. I'm actually thinking of restarting my TLOU playthrough and trying his moves.