Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:42 pm

It gets attention though, gotta give it that.

But yeah the confusion and fear it causes doesn't help matters.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:48 pm

One could argue you're just as narrow in your scope.

You're focused on black killing each other without taking into consideration why it's happening, which is what the whole discussion was revolving around. You're not even attempting to entertain a notion that there's been generational cause and effect to get to this point.
I never said that's the only thing in scope. I said both should be discussed: posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=800692#pr800679

I'm sure economic inequality is absolutely one factor as to the reasons. I would bet that's not the only reason
I think the issue is you may be putting symptoms on the level of disease for discussion. We can discuss symptoms until blue in the face, but unless there's an effort to get at the disease, the best we can do is get palliative relief.
That discussion point goes both ways.

We can replace their crutches with ladders. We can build them hundreds of ladders...thousands. We can build short ladders and tall ladders...skinny ladders and wide ladders. We can stand at the top of every single ladder with our hands reached down to help pull them up.......
...but they need to be willing to climb.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:49 pm

White House press secretary insists that Trump 'does read' and 'is the most informed person on planet earth when it comes to the threats that we face'
Well thank god.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:53 pm

"but they need to be willing to climb"

What exactly are you positing here?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:03 pm

TBH, I'm not so sure some of these organizations are as concerned with equal opportunity as they are equal results.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:03 pm

The purge continues:
Facebook on Tuesday removed hundreds of accounts and groups associated with a violent network of the far-right “boogaloo” movement whose followers have been linked to violence that disrupted mostly peaceful protests around the United States.

Facebook said it was designating the part of the boogaloo movement that advocates violence as a “dangerous organization” and had taken down 220 accounts, 28 pages, 106 groups and 95 Instagram accounts associated with it.

The social media platform said it also had removed 400 more Facebook accounts and more than 100 additional groups that supported or praised the violent network.

Facebook’s move against the boogaloo movement came after federal prosecutors charged several adherents of the movement with crimes across the U.S., including the murder of a security officer at a federal courthouse in Oakland, Calif., and a plot to use explosives at a demonstration in Las Vegas, Nev., protesting the police killing of George Floyd.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... -accounts/

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-chop ... rs-removed

CHOP officially being dismantled.
Bringing an end to our weeks-long national nightmare.
Yeah, I mean people were murdered as a direct result of CHOP being tolerated by Seattle's leftist mayor and city council, including two children. It sounds like you are trivializing how bad it was there.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:13 pm

This is what mask enforcement looks like.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:21 pm

Seen of Facebook (posted by a POC who lives in Seattle if it matters)
Oh i give absolutely no **** that they are tearing down CHOP. We were protesting non stop, day in day out. My friends have been working with the NAACP, registering people to vote, and helping when they can. Once I saw what it was becoming though, i refused to go back. Seattle did what it does best and gentrified the movement. You convoluted the message and the point of the CHOP. You can hang all the BLM art but that doesnt change the fact that the CHOP is a **** white hipster hippie commune.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:24 pm

"but they need to be willing to climb"

What exactly are you positing here?
It's the other side of Krafsters symptom/disease discussion. Systemic issues exist, but not in a vacuum. Along with systemic speedbumps and roadblocks and white privilege exist similar 'symptoms' with the Black community itself. Introspection within the Black community and culture could be a far more effective vaccine than anything that could be 'created' for them or on their behalf. For example, more emphasis and value placed on education. Less acceptance and glorification of 'bad' behavior and decisions. More positive role models within the communities themselves.

I'm not suggesting by any stretch of the imagination that it will be easy, or happen overnight. It's really difficult to fundamentally shift and change what's been ingrained...especially when what's been ingrained was in part formed from distrust, fear, and very real oppression. But that's what the ladders are for...as well as the hands reaching down.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Oh i give absolutely no **** that they are tearing down CHOP. We were protesting non stop, day in day out. My friends have been working with the NAACP, registering people to vote, and helping when they can. Once I saw what it was becoming though, i refused to go back. Seattle did what it does best and gentrified the movement. You convoluted the message and the point of the CHOP. You can hang all the BLM art but that doesnt change the fact that the CHOP is a **** white hipster hippie commune.
How can you register non-citizens to vote? :pop:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:45 pm

What a clown-show.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:48 pm

This is what mask enforcement looks like.

What does this have to do with masks?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 pm

How can you register non-citizens to vote? :pop:
I believe he was making the point that he's doing real work for the cause outside of the hippie commune

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Make no mistake, durkan is a pawn. She was appointed after pedo Ed got booted. The city council is the definition of corrupt, and they are the ruling guild for the county, not just Seattle.

Durkan was the weak rat sent to test the poison.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:06 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-chop ... rs-removed

CHOP officially being dismantled.
Bringing an end to our weeks-long national nightmare.
Yeah, I mean people were murdered as a direct result of CHOP being tolerated by Seattle's leftist mayor and city council, including two children. It sounds like you are trivializing how bad it was there.
Typical. If it goes against his side, then it doesn't matter and people are making a big deal out of nothing.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 pm

One could argue you're just as narrow in your scope.

You're focused on black killing each other without taking into consideration why it's happening, which is what the whole discussion was revolving around. You're not even attempting to entertain a notion that there's been generational cause and effect to get to this point.
I never said that's the only thing in scope. I said both should be discussed: posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=800692#pr800679

I'm sure economic inequality is absolutely one factor as to the reasons. I would bet that's not the only reason
I think the issue is you may be putting symptoms on the level of disease for discussion. We can discuss symptoms until blue in the face, but unless there's an effort to get at the disease, the best we can do is get palliative relief.
That discussion point goes both ways.

We can replace their crutches with ladders. We can build them hundreds of ladders...thousands. We can build short ladders and tall ladders...skinny ladders and wide ladders. We can stand at the top of every single ladder with our hands reached down to help pull them up.......
...but they need to be willing to climb.
TBH, I'm not so sure some of these organizations are as concerned with equal opportunity as they are equal results.
These feel related to me, i.e., enough ladders theoretically gets us to true "equal opportunity," at which point, any unequal result cannot be attributed to the system.

But that seems a poor basis for making decisions at the moment. I have no doubt that, at a certain point, it becomes hard to point to unequal results as evidence of unequal opportunity. That said, I happen to believe we are so far from reaching that point that it doesn't do a whole lot of good to worry about this concern yet. In addition, I think it becomes a harmful thing to worry about when you consider that we probably need to over correct to address these inequities and get to a point of true "equal opportunity" (if we could ever measure it).

This is especially true if we credit the arguments that there is some sort of cultural (or other) predisposition to not climb the ladders, so to speak. If such a thing is present and at play here, rather than this being a basis to lay blame at the feet of the oppressed (whether now or at some future theoretical moment where "enough has been done), it should be a data point that is considered in figuring out how to fix this. If anything warrants something like over correction, the possible reality that individuals have to swim up stream against heavy cultural currents to climb out would seem to be one such thing. Considered that way, it is just part of the bad luck that contributes to the inequity we see, part of the bad luck that we need to cancel.

Put differently, if you build the best and most flawless ladders possible but they can only be reached by those are that are 8' tall and everyone that needs the ladders is 4' tall--that's not gonna cut it.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:36 pm

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:47 pm

The horror?

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 pm

My god. The electric slide? Those bastards.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 pm

My god. The electric slide? Those bastards.
After photographing more weddings than I care to remember, I can say with complete confidence that anyone who dances to the electric slide should be drawn and quartered.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Lmao. Nothing matters.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 pm

They have insurance masks!

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 pm

Lmao. Nothing matters.
Why does that matter?

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 pm

You really got us with that one. We should’ve been outraged but lol those liberals don’t even care about dancing in the street.

Real Joan Gotcha situation we got here.
Last edited by nocera on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.