home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:31 pm

Is anyone here using a NAS to stream movies? I'm thinking about buying one and slowing ripping my blu ray/dvd collection. Should I be aware of any issues with uncompressed video and audio? I'd like be playing media via my Apple TV 4K.
I haven't seen him here in forever, but @Miami Vice was very much into that route via Plex, IIRC.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 pm

Nice. The Comcast channels have been brought into YoutubeTV: BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land, and VH1. It comes with a price increase, base price up to $64.99 now. But with these additions I can cancel my Sling account as that was the only reason I had it, to catch those Comcast offerings.

Cool stuff.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:47 pm

YTTV still doesn’t have 4K channels, correct?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm

Nope.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm

That's approaching the monthly price of what Spectrum offers here for 125 channels.

Still no history channel, Lifetime, or Hallmark iirc either.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:46 pm

Right. At that cost, I don’t really see a giant advantage over cable.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm

No contract and the ability to watch everything everywhere is nice.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Part of me is glad that streaming has gone the way it has, because it makes my decision to stay put that much easier.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pm

The only channels that YTTV is lacking in terms of channels that I actually watch remain NHL and NFL Network, and BeIN Sports. I'm glad they added the Viacom nets, but I had grown used to not having them when I realized I only ever watched Comedy Central, and at that it was just the roasts.

Looking at the channel listing for the grand poobah package on Spectrum (my ISP), it's over 400 channels...... but in my ZIP code nearly half of them are Spanish or some other foreign language, so they're completely useless to me. There are also dozens of kids channels, which offer me a similar level of DGAF, never mind the audio-only music channels which somehow are allowed to be included in your 'TV' channel lineup.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:36 pm

The first service to offer 4K versions of CBS, NBC, etc. will likely get my business. I can’t see myself upgrading my TiVos ever again because I hate the new OS.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Not needing a TiVo is probably YTTVs best feature. Just mark a show and it records every showing and catalogs them automatically. Good for 9 months, but it notes each new airing which renews that window.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Not needing a TiVo is probably YTTVs best feature. Just mark a show and it records every showing and catalogs them automatically. Good for 9 months, but it notes each new airing which renews that window.
I already have that capability, with no restrictions on time kept. And yes, I’ve got shows that are older than that on them, along with transferred movies.

I’d be interested in YTTV if they addressed my concerns. Or any service. The problem is that streaming services have gone too far to the other end of the spectrum. I have to invest in multiple services for the same content, still have no true centralized landing point to access all content, and all together winds up costing me about the same as what I pay for FiOS.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

For me, the hassle is billing and managing three or four accounts for what amounts to the same (type) of content. They do require discrete apps for each service, but they're all accessible via the same platform (PlayStation in my case), so it's not a huge encumbrance.

Biggest pet peeve currently is that in fixing the main YouTube app on PS4 that was borked for like a week, I now have interstitial advertising in videos. I was never once served an interstitial ad prior to this update. I'll reiterate that YouTube Premium should be included with YTTV, or at least deeply discounted.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:32 pm

Cool. Had no idea you could access your TiVo content from a cell phone while traveling across the country. Much better than the clunky way DirecTV tried to do it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm

Cool. Had no idea you could access your TiVo content from a cell phone while traveling across the country. Much better than the clunky way DirecTV tried to do it.
I don’t know if this is snark or not, but I can. :) I’m not picking on YTTV, mind you. My comments apply across the board.

Last year, Verizon created a la carte packages. I thought, awesome, I’ll pick what I want and save a few bucks. Nope. I literally had to choose every grouping because of how those NTP66s went about the packages.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 pm

Not snark, had no idea.

All I know is YTTV is 1/3rd the cost of DTV and runs circles around it in nearly every way. And on hardware I already have.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 pm

I’ve never heard anything good about DTV from anyone. FiOS has been good to me, and I have few complaints, really. I could learn to live with having to go into each individual service’s app so long as that app were supported on my TVs. 4K content is where the line will be drawn. I have no idea who’s responsible for the lack of 4K channels, but it’s 2020 and there are like 3 channels.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:48 pm

DTV was great when I first got it about 10 years ago. Now it’s an abusive relationship that has somehow convinced me that I can’t do any better.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 pm

YTTV > DTV > OTA > TWC

In my experience anyway.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 pm

4K content is where the line will be drawn. I have no idea who’s responsible for the lack of 4K channels, but it’s 2020 and there are like 3 channels.
Creators insist the demand isn't there to justify the increased cost of delivery/transmission. An huge chunk of content is already shot at..... if not full 4K, then at resolutions above 1080p (some analog formats are up at like 12k, and the highest res digital camera I know of that's used for film is something like 6k or 8k). So content is there and ready to go. Network executives just say the cost doesn't justify the expected return, and play down the improvement of 4k over 1080 formats.... which is plainly stupid, it's a bigger jump from 1080 to 4k than it was from DVD to 1080, and it's clear to anyone with eyes.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 pm

Live streamed content on Youtube TV looks hideous on a 4K set. On demand is better, but sitting through those commercials is soul crushing. I'm really struggling to convince myself why I should stick with yt and pay xfinity for internet and phone versus bundling everything with xfinity. Right now the contract is the only thing holding me back.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:08 am

Source of the post Network executives just say the cost doesn't justify the expected return, and play down the improvement of 4k over 1080 formats.... which is plainly stupid, it's a bigger jump from 1080 to 4k than it was from DVD to 1080, and it's clear to anyone with eyes.
Yeah, that makes no sense. I assumed it came down to dollars, unfortunately. I guess we should all think of these poor, struggling networks.
Live streamed content on Youtube TV looks hideous on a 4K set. On demand is better
My only experience with live streamed YT was the Super Bowl pre-game, and it was atrocious. The 4k content I can find on the TY app looks good, though. Netflix is still the gold standard, and I believe the only one that actually supports newer audio technologies, as well.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:10 pm

I chatted with Verizon again yesterday to see if I could get a deal on my FiOS renewal, but it was a no go. I may end up having to call and threaten to switch to Comcast, which I haven't had to do ever with Verizon. I just compared the channels I watch with the lower tiers in Verizon, and of course only made it 1/4 of the way down the list and already saw 3-4 channels that I'd lose by just dropping one tier. So then I used the site that dodint and others mentioned in the past to compare streaming sites. Not a single service would give me all of the channels I'd want. Hulu was close, but the lack of BBC America and Comedy Central is a deal breaker for me.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:46 pm

I never did get everything. I think one or two of the cooking channels were lost, but the wife found Tastemade and really likes it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Peacock launched today. I've been browsing around the app with a free account and it looks like there's a good amount of stuff to watch. I'd like to see a breakdown of free vs paid content.

The Carol Burnett Show is on here so that's a plus. ****, I just saw Law & Order is only available on the premium version.