Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:38 pm

I agree that parenting would help, but I think your point is ignoring that the parents (and their parents, and their parents and...) were all part of this system of lack of opportunities and education, and the cycle has just been on repeat because it's obvious nothing is being done to change it (you can point to more money in schools, but it's the utilization of those funds that truly matters, not how much).

All these issues stem from the systemic lack of opportunity.
I think it falls on both. I do think there is an attempt for more opportunities (and I agree there needs to be more), but those opportunities have to be accepted as well. And I agree a lot of it because the parents don't try because they grew up in a culture where they didn't have those opportunities, so they just blow it off.

But in order to have some true change, you need to built a better foundations in the community, school, etc, but the parents and community have to be willing to accept it as well.

I know the city school my sister in law works in, when the COVID outbreak came, they provided all 25 of her students with the laptops, instructions, etc that my kids school provided at Pine Richland.

Over the next 3 months, she only heard from 5 students on a regular basis, 2 more on a semi regular basis, and the other 18 never heard from once. She reached out to the parents through different channels, offered one on one sessions, etc, and was turned town. And then at the end of the day, had to pass them all.

All the tools were provided, the effort was there, but it just was not accepted. These are second graders as well, so the parents still play a large influence. And it was not just her that was pushing above and beyond.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:47 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/us/p ... gence.html

Dang, whoever is feeding this story to the times had the receipts.

Deep state actors.
Fox / GOP doing their hardest to blame the leaker over the president again.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:57 pm

I know the city school my sister in law works in, when the COVID outbreak came, they provided all 25 of her students with the laptops, instructions, etc that my kids school provided at Pine Richland.

Over the next 3 months, she only heard from 5 students on a regular basis, 2 more on a semi regular basis, and the other 18 never heard from once. She reached out to the parents through different channels, offered one on one sessions, etc, and was turned town. And then at the end of the day, had to pass them all.

All the tools were provided, the effort was there, but it just was not accepted. These are second graders as well, so the parents still play a large influence. And it was not just her that was pushing above and beyond.
From what I gather, that's been pretty common throughout the country, regardless of the school's demographics. I saw one graph thing recently that surveyed like 90 or 100 school districts across the country that showed the average daily participation rate with the online learning across all grades in early April was only around 40%, and by May that had dropped to a single-digit %. I think the only age group that had any semblance of regular participation were HS seniors, because they had graduation reqs to meet, but I might be making that up.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:06 pm

BREAKING: Joe Biden says he was not the second gunman on the grassy knoll

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:10 pm

From what I gather, that's been pretty common throughout the country, regardless of the school's demographics. I saw one graph thing recently that surveyed like 90 or 100 school districts across the country that showed the average daily participation rate with the online learning across all grades in early April was only around 40%, and by May that had dropped to a single-digit %. I think the only age group that had any semblance of regular participation were HS seniors, because they had graduation reqs to meet, but I might be making that up.
I didn't get that feeling at all with the suburbian school districts in the Pittsburgh area. All the teachers I talked to in Hampton, PR, Plum, Norwin, NA, Seneca Valley, etc said that the home schooling was going pretty well, especially with younger children. I know all of my kids classes were close to 100% participation the majority of the time.

Would there be a drop off, sure. But I find it hard that suburban schools would be as low as the 20% participation my sister in laws school was dealing with. My neighbor is another city school teacher at a different school and the participation was the same.

And I view the above as more of a socio economic issue to be honest.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:13 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:13 pm

Word got out really quickly in PPS that students were not being graded and could not get a lower grade than they did the previous grading period. I wouldn't have done **** either.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Word got out really quickly in PPS that students were not being graded and could not get a lower grade than they did the previous grading period. I wouldn't have done **** either.
My parents wouldn't have let me do that.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm

By 7th/8th grade, my folks stopped checking my homework. By high school it was full on sink or swim.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:21 pm

By 7th/8th grade, my folks stopped checking my homework. By high school it was full on sink or swim.
They didn't check mine either but asked me about it. My mother was a school teacher.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 pm

They didn't check mine either but asked me about it. My mother was a school teacher.
"Checked" as in "made sure I did it" not review it. My dad and mom were both teachers. I was also the baby so maybe by the time I came along they stopped giving a ****.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 pm

My parents wouldn't have let me do that.
:fist:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:49 pm

I was beyond my dad's level of checking my answers to questions in everything except maybe history by 6th grade. :lol:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-chop ... rs-removed

CHOP officially being dismantled.
Bringing an end to our weeks-long national nightmare.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:10 pm

People died but it wasn't right wingers so the concern should be mocked. The business owners loved it too.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm

All is well.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Defund means defund.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:57 pm

I'm confused, I agree with her. I don't support the full defunding of police but I get cutting the actual budget which it seems like they're doing "budget tricks" to get around it

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:57 pm

You understand what she’s saying though, right? She’s still not saying remove police. She’s saying they are reallocating funds but hiding them so they still go to police.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 pm

they should've gone with "trim the police"; clears up any ambiguities in stance

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:08 pm

The people responsible for the phrase "defund the police" should be sacked.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Senate strips provision from intelligence bill requiring campaigns to report foreign election help
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/politics ... index.html

His balls are out, and right in front of you. Make your choices.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 pm

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 pm

With violent and property crime declining substantially over the past 25 years, and victimless crimes like marijuana possession being increasingly decriminalized, why shouldn’t police budgets be cut?

I feel like the absolutist term “defund”, which to me means “remove all funding from,” hinders a valid argument.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:30 pm

With violent and property crime declining substantially over the past 25 years, and victimless crimes like marijuana possession being increasingly decriminalized, why shouldn’t police budgets be cut?

I feel like the absolutist term “defund”, which to me means “remove all funding from,” hinders a valid argument.
It’s also been said that “defund the police” isn’t taking away the ability for them to do their job. It’s asking that they just get to be police instead of social worker, marriage counselor, animal control, and any other number of social services. The defunded portion should then be used for those social services.

As was said, sack whomever came up with the slogan.