COVID-19

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Bar owners plan downtown protest over alcohol consumption ban as a result of COVID-19
https://www.wtae.com/article/bar-owners ... 9/33003687#

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm

The guy who posts these stats is level-headed, but the COVID19PGH reddit site comments are unreadable. People in that sub want everything closed down forever and severe punitive measures. The county 100% made the right decision to close the bars down, but if in a month our numbers are back to less than 20 or 30 cases or less with no concerns about hospital occupancy they should open again imo. This is the dance we have to do and we have to get comfortable with it. People seem to want finality around these decisions, and that's just fantasyland.

Am I wrong that 100 cases/day in a county with a population of 1.25mm people with readily available testing to whomever wants it is nothing? The bars had to be closed to avoid that number rising to what I would perceive as concerning case levels, but the idea that the goal here is no
cases or close to it is cuckoo.
its cuckoo that you offer takes in this thread but do not find the time to offer good vibes on the solstice

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm

@MR Yes, I understand that people catch COVID from people with COVID.
:lol:

There's also systemic racism out there, believe it or not too...crazy times.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Was that really necessary?

Like what's even the point of bringing that into the COVID thread?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:58 pm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm

"this whole thing is a scam" is one of the replies... :lol:

Glad the whole world decided to join in on the scam.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:08 pm

I heard from a family member recently that this is all being done to oust Trump.

AuthorTony

COVID-19

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 pm

I heard from a family member recently that this is all being done to oust Trump.
That's the prevailing opinion around here. I've been told we'll never hear about COVID again after Nov 3.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:13 pm

I've also heard rom some who think that there's a conspiracy to wait to release a vaccine until right after the election because "they" want the mail in vote.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:14 pm

In Ohio:

Yes – antibody tests are counted among the probable cases reported by the ODH but not the confirmed cases, according to ODH Press Secretary Melanie Amato.

“Probable can be antibody testing, or cases that have yet to be confirmed,” she said. “For example, they meet the case definition but are waiting on their tests. Antibody tests will always remain probable.”

This is in accordance with CDC guidelines for reporting COVID-19.
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/con ... yes-and-no

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 pm

I've also heard rom some who think that there's a conspiracy to wait to release a vaccine until right after the election because "they" want the mail in vote.
I mailed in my vote for the primary late last month, and will never do it in person if I'm allowed to continue. It was a terrific experience.

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:20 pm

I'll never understand why mail in voting is a partisan issue

Like I get why people would have different opinions on it. But the fact that it is such a partisan issue is exhausting.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:20 pm

I mailed in my vote for the primary late last month, and will never do it in person if I'm allowed to continue. It was a terrific experience.
It was a delight. But I didn't get the "I voted" sticker. How am I supposed to brag on social media and make others feel bad?

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 pm

It was a delight. But I didn't get the "I voted" sticker. How am I supposed to brag on social media and make others feel bad?
I forgot about that, and now I feel cheated.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:26 pm

That increase in hospitalizations is bad right?
hard to say. my hockey league's first positive player is hospitalized in the ICU and being given remdesvir. he sent an email to his team saying he feels "good on the whole, relatively speaking". he's clearly not on a ventilator but is hospitalized. FWIW he says he tested positive for COVID and pneumonia.
From what I understand, ventilators aren't being used as much as before. Maybe LITT or someone else can confirm that, though.

+7 hospitalizations isn't great but considering the case counts the past few days, it should be expected. They are still low and local hospitals shouldn't be anywhere near capacity. Definitely something to keep an eye on, though.

One quick thing to note about hospitalizations, the 20-29 demo makes up 20% of all time cases (and the majority of the new cases) but only accounts for 4% of the hospitalizations. So, 532 total cases in that demo and only 16 hospitalizations. 30-39 has 373 total cases and only 24 hospitalizations. 40-49 305 cases, 34 hospitalizations.
related to vent usage, early numbers in our region were 40-50% of total patients admitted requiring mechanical ventilation. now looking around 20%

related to hospitalization demos - proportionately, more of the younger are being diagnosed now so would expect their hospitalization to be lower at the moment. we wouldnt be seeing this pick up for 2 weeks or so (if they are admitted)

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 pm

In Ohio:

Yes – antibody tests are counted among the probable cases reported by the ODH but not the confirmed cases, according to ODH Press Secretary Melanie Amato.

“Probable can be antibody testing, or cases that have yet to be confirmed,” she said. “For example, they meet the case definition but are waiting on their tests. Antibody tests will always remain probable.”

and some antibody tests have a false positivity rate approaching 50%

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:29 pm

In Ohio:

and some antibody tests have a false positivity rate approaching 50%
They'll never get an exact count, hence the "probable" count.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:30 pm

Source of the post related to vent usage, early numbers in our region were 40-50% of total patients admitted requiring mechanical ventilation. now looking around 20%
20% still seems pretty damn high.

LITT

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Saw some speculation elsewhere that as people are getting tested for covid before an elective hospital procedure if they test positive, then it counts as a hospitalization even if no symptoms. Does that make sense or just someone making a conspiracy theory?

Also, say you take three tests a week and test positive each time does that count as one new case or three? Also wonder what percentage of the tests are false positives. Will we ever know?
the data released by upmc last week stated that 1 in 400 asymptomatic people are testing positive - 0.25%. if an asymtompatic person is having surgery and admitted, it would count since it is a positive COVID patient in a hospital. the data is not reporting symptomatic COVID patients in hospitals. not a conspiracy, just accurately reporting data.

to your second point, it depends if you are looking at POSITIVE TESTS or NEW PATIENTS TESTING POSITIVE since it seems both of these numbers are being reported. false negatives - depending on the assay and methodology, i have seen literature that covers 5% - 50%

LITT

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm

Source of the post related to vent usage, early numbers in our region were 40-50% of total patients admitted requiring mechanical ventilation. now looking around 20%
better than 50

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:41 pm

better than 50

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

COVID-19

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:51 pm

That's the prevailing opinion around here. I've been told we'll never hear about COVID again after Nov 3.
As far fetched as that sounds we just got out of a solid 3 week period where the virus was virtually a non story. I dont care what took over the news, it was like a switched flipped and it was gone. There were all the "uhh I guess its over" jokes because you had to work to find information about it. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that these people end up dialing it back again to shift focus on the fall of Hitler. (or Hitler going back2back)

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 pm

skullman80

COVID-19

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:56 pm

I dunno any news I watched the Protests/Corona coverage was basically 1A and 1B or presented together. I don't watch news day and night though, just a bit in the morning, and sometimes before bed.

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:46 pm

Meanwhile down south, another record number of positive tests, currently hospitalized (over 1000, around 900 a couple of days ago), and number of tests administered. 19.1% positive on 9100 tests.

Big municipalities are enacting mask regulations, but our little city called a special city council meeting to issue an encouragement to wear masks. Of course, the freedom types got worked up even though it's a cowardly encouragement to mask up. Good times.