COVID-19

mac5155

COVID-19

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:16 pm

Was told by a neighbor with multiple well placed sources that the Pittsburgh area might be headed back to yellow.
You guys see that meme?

In wiz Khalifa tone,

"yeah, uh huh, you know what it is. Back to yellow, back to yellow"

:lol:

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:23 pm

BOOOOOO

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:16 am

My federal agency is back peddling to full telework and away from their recent mandate of three days in the office per pay period. It doesn't affect me because I don't technically work for Pittsburgh, but it's worth noting as another restriction is put back in place.
Its almost as if we don't need to be in the office like... Ever again...
I still say the coloring system is awful. Green means go. We should have been in yellow after orange.

Green should mean everything back the way it was as close as possible.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:45 am

Really beautiful infographic about the different types of testings and what they mean, for anyone that's interested:

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chemistr ... -19/98/i25

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am

Allegheny County Update 6/30 - 2,760 Total Cases (+109 Cases, +7 Hospitalizations, +0 Deaths)

In the newest cases, ages range from 10 to 86 with the median age being 26.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:21 am

That increase in hospitalizations is bad right?

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 am

Uhh, hopefully?
Hopefully? It would put us right back where we are.

We stayed inside. We went red. We closed businesses. We quarantined. And when it showed to be working....we stopped. This **** ridiculous to me and I think it would happen again with bars.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 am

Uhh, hopefully?

We stayed inside. We went red. We closed businesses. We quarantined. And when it showed to be working....we stopped. This **** ridiculous to me and I think it would happen again with bars.
so bars should be closed forever?

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

hard to say. my hockey league's first positive player is hospitalized in the ICU and being given remdesvir. he sent an email to his team saying he feels "good on the whole, relatively speaking". he's clearly not on a ventilator but is hospitalized. FWIW he says he tested positive for COVID and pneumonia.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

Like when society closed forever with the 1918 Flu!

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am

hard to say. my hockey league's first positive player is hospitalized in the ICU and being given remdesvir. he sent an email to his team saying he feels "good on the whole, relatively speaking". he's clearly not on a ventilator but is hospitalized. FWIW he says he tested positive for COVID and pneumonia.
From what I understand, ventilators aren't being used as much as before. Maybe LITT or someone else can confirm that, though.

+7 hospitalizations isn't great but considering the case counts the past few days, it should be expected. They are still low and local hospitals shouldn't be anywhere near capacity. Definitely something to keep an eye on, though.

One quick thing to note about hospitalizations, the 20-29 demo makes up 20% of all time cases (and the majority of the new cases) but only accounts for 4% of the hospitalizations. So, 532 total cases in that demo and only 16 hospitalizations. 30-39 has 373 total cases and only 24 hospitalizations. 40-49 305 cases, 34 hospitalizations.

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:50 am

Saw some speculation elsewhere that as people are getting tested for covid before an elective hospital procedure if they test positive, then it counts as a hospitalization even if no symptoms. Does that make sense or just someone making a conspiracy theory?

Also, say you take three tests a week and test positive each time does that count as one new case or three? Also wonder what percentage of the tests are false positives. Will we ever know?

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm

My federal agency is back peddling to full telework and away from their recent mandate of three days in the office per pay period. It doesn't affect me because I don't technically work for Pittsburgh, but it's worth noting as another restriction is put back in place.
Its almost as if we don't need to be in the office like... Ever again...
Mrs Tif's company just spent a 7-figure sum of money converting the dozen or so buildings on their campus to open floor plans about 18 months prior to all this COVID mess. They've had multiple virtual town halls with senior management where the conversation was quickly turned to people saying they would flat out refuse to come back to the office if the open floor plan was still in place.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Uhh, hopefully?

so bars should be closed forever?
Not sure how grunty got your login credentials but here we are....

No, don't close them forever. Obviously. But when a Quarantine is working but NOT DONE WORKING it's a bad idea to end it.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 pm

From what I understand, ventilators aren't being used as much as before. Maybe LITT or someone else can confirm that, though.

+7 hospitalizations isn't great but considering the case counts the past few days, it should be expected. They are still low and local hospitals shouldn't be anywhere near capacity. Definitely something to keep an eye on, though.

One quick thing to note about hospitalizations, the 20-29 demo makes up 20% of all time cases (and the majority of the new cases) but only accounts for 4% of the hospitalizations. So, 532 total cases in that demo and only 16 hospitalizations. 30-39 has 373 total cases and only 24 hospitalizations. 40-49 305 cases, 34 hospitalizations.
I guess it depends on the r for these new positives, if we're starting to see hospitalizations increases now, then it would be doubly bad if this current increase in cases starts rising to like 400-500 per day.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Mrs Tif's company just spent a 7-figure sum of money converting the dozen or so buildings on their campus to open floor plans about 18 months prior to all this COVID mess. They've had multiple virtual town halls with senior management where the conversation was quickly turned to people saying they would flat out refuse to come back to the office if the open floor plan was still in place.
Same at my company, they have no idea what they are going to do with all that newly renovated space, lol.

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Company sent out an email that despite the fact Chester County moved to green, they are NOT asking people to come back and there is no timetable for a return. Relieved to work for a relatively progressive organization in that regard.

slappybrown

COVID-19

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:14 pm

The guy who posts these stats is level-headed, but the COVID19PGH reddit site comments are unreadable. People in that sub want everything closed down forever and severe punitive measures. The county 100% made the right decision to close the bars down, but if in a month our numbers are back to less than 20 or 30 cases or less with no concerns about hospital occupancy they should open again imo. This is the dance we have to do and we have to get comfortable with it. People seem to want finality around these decisions, and that's just fantasyland.

Am I wrong that 100 cases/day in a county with a population of 1.25mm people with readily available testing to whomever wants it is nothing? The bars had to be closed to avoid that number rising to what I would perceive as concerning case levels, but the idea that the goal here is no
cases or close to it is cuckoo.

skullman80

COVID-19

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Same at my company, they have no idea what they are going to do with all that newly renovated space, lol.
Ditto for my company. They are still in the process of building a brand spanking new building in Bakery Square next to google that is supposed to be configured as entirely open spaces.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 pm

The guy who posts these stats is level-headed, but the COVID19PGH reddit site comments are unreadable. People in that sub want everything closed down forever and severe punitive measures. The county 100% made the right decision to close the bars down, but if in a month our numbers are back to less than 20 or 30 cases or less with no concerns about hospital occupancy they should open again imo. This is the dance we have to do and we have to get comfortable with it. People seem to want finality around these decisions, and that's just fantasyland.

Am I wrong that 100 cases/day in a county with a population of 1.25mm people with readily available testing to whomever wants it is nothing? The bars had to be closed to avoid that number rising to what I would perceive as concerning case levels, but the idea that the goal here is no

I think to your last point, the issue causing worry isn't the 100 confirmed cases now showing up - it's all of the potential cases that could stem from those 100. That could easily become at least another 100 positive if those people aren't/weren't careful.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 pm

I feel like the issue is that it went from like 7 cases per day to 100 per day in a week. If, which it seems like it is, these increases are due to people crowding into bars, that 100 could continue increasing for another week or two at that pace.

I don't think the shut down should extend beyond bars and indoor dining capacity issues. I feel like if we want to limit the spread of the disease, keep the bars closed and figure out how to open other things, like schools.

slappybrown

COVID-19

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 pm

@MR Yes, I understand that people catch COVID from people with COVID.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:27 pm

Big if true

slappybrown

COVID-19

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:27 pm

I feel like the issue is that it went from like 7 cases per day to 100 per day in a week. If, which it seems like it is, these increases are due to people crowding into bars, that 100 could continue increasing for another week or two at that pace.

I don't think the shut down should extend beyond bars and indoor dining capacity issues. I feel like if we want to limit the spread of the disease, keep the bars closed and figure out how to open other things, like schools.
It took nearly month for the numbers to inch up there. Bars opened on June 5.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Agreed. Stormfreak on Reddit does a great job curating all of this information and trying to make sense of it without going to either extreme.

I completely support closing bars and imposing a stronger requirement on masks in restaurants. I do not support a move back to the red. Allowing group gatherings of 250 is pretty nutso and could be a disaster waiting to happen. I expect that to be lessened to at least 50, ideally 25 if cases don't decrease. Enforcing mask policies in every business is necessary but I don't have an answer on how to enforce it. I expect our case count to decrease with the bars closed, but I don't expect to see that for two weeks or so.