Pet Thread

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 pm

Glad you caught it. Give your self a gold star, regardless of the demerit for bad oral hygiene.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Glad you caught it. Give your self a gold star, regardless of the demerit for bad oral hygiene.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:47 pm

Nice. I see the boesemani now. I'm rolling with this:

25 neon tetras
14 silvertip tetras
5 boesemani rainbows
7 emerald green corys
1 bad ass apistogramma macmasteri
1 mystery snail
then some bladder snails that hitchhiked in on some of the amazon swords
Your tank's a 75, right? What kind of lighting are you using? I assume it's a standard Marineland with the old school flip lids. That's what our 55 is, and I really hate it. You can tell in my photo that it is far too directional.
Yup - 75. The light is a Fluval Plant 3.0 LED 48 in. It's a million times better than the Marineland that came with the kit. I think it would be amazing on a 55 because you don't have the width I do. It might be overkill for you since I don't see any live plants in there

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:53 pm

25 neon tetras
14 silvertip tetras
5 boesemani rainbows
7 emerald green corys
1 mystery snail
Your tank's a 75, right? What kind of lighting are you using? I assume it's a standard Marineland with the old school flip lids. That's what our 55 is, and I really hate it. You can tell in my photo that it is far too directional.
Yup - 75. The light is a Fluval Plant 3.0 LED 48 in. It's a million times better than the Marineland that came with the kit. I think it would be amazing on a 55 because you don't have the width I do. It might be overkill for you since I don't see any live plants in there
Your 75 and my 55 are the same width (48"), unless you bought some oddball off brand. I still have my old 48" LED from my saltwater tank, so I may see how it looks on the tank. I'd need to get some acrylic cut for the top of the tank, though.

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:56 pm

Not width then. Length? Front to back. Because we should be the same width and depth

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Not width then. Length? Front to back. Because we should be the same width and depth
No, it's width. Yours is 18" wide, mine's 13". Both are 48" long and 21" high.

Edit: I'm the dummy who said width first. My bad.

Shyster

Pet Thread

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Here are my "new" cats, Hershey on the left and Honey on the right. There's a little bit of a forced perspective in the photo, but if it looks like Hershey is way larger than Honey, that's because he is.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Hershey looks like my old black cat, Salem. Speaking of, we may be adopting another black kitten. Went through the adoption interview today, and should know tomorrow or so if the foster parent is still good with adopting her out (she kinda wanted to keep her).

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:59 pm

NTP is an old cat lady

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:16 pm

My wife is, but I won’t complain. I love cats.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:28 pm

I heart Hershey, and I also heart Honey.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:41 pm

25 neon tetras
14 silvertip tetras
5 boesemani rainbows
7 emerald green corys
1 mystery snail
Finally splurging a little on my wife's 55:

Bought a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami from LiveAqauaria, along with a handful of red cherry shrimp. The latter's a risk, but we'll see. I have plenty of hiding places, and did buy some plants on LA and eBay.

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Nice. Let me know how the LiveAquaria fish turns out. I’ve bought plants from there, but not fish. My LFS is really nice, so I haven’t felt the need to buy fish online yet. Plus I feel like my tank is set for the long haul. Any changes I make are purely me being fidgety with it. Like adding some otocinclus. No real need for them, but man I want three of them.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:19 pm

I’ve ordered from LA half a dozen times over the last 7 years. With exception to the last two orders - had some praecox rainbows die in each shipment (I assume they don’t ship well) - I’ve never had an issue. They at least have a live arrival guarantee, so I’ve been able to get credits for the ones I lost.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:22 am

Welp, the kittens are definitely teething. Chewed straight through the baby monitor cord, as well as one of my computer speakers. Gonna have to spend one day this weekend putting everything into looms to help prevent this in the future.

Shyster

Pet Thread

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:03 pm

Hershey has noticed that I feed the birds (and thereby indirectly feed squirrels, chipmunks, and even the occasional rabbit). He's been glued to the sliding back door all day. It's probably the cat equivalent of television.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Shyster, wait til the cats start doing the clicky-hiss thing.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:20 pm

@meow: What plants do you have in your tank? I started adding some crypto and java moss for our new red cherry shrimp.

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:05 am

If you look back at my tank you will be able to see. Left to right

Amazon swords
Dwarf sagittaria
Bacopa caroliniana (personal favorite)
Java fern (hate them)
more Bacopa caroliniana

Tried some red cryptocoryne, but it melted back really hard and never came back.

I have sand substrate, so the Bacopa took forever to root well enough to stay. I felt like I was stuffing 20 stems back down everyday.

I'd also recommend Aquarium Co-ops Easy Green fertilizer. I saw some huge growth after starting to use it. It is super simple. One pump per 10 gallons after water changes.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 am

Source of the post If you look back at my tank you will be able to see. Left to right
I swear I missed you actually posting that photo. Yeah, I read with crypto you have to prune them heavily to avoid any burning (some sites say prune all of the leaves before adding), I bought mine on eBay from YourFishStuff.com, and the plants were impeccable. Beautiful leaves, pre-trimmed roots.

I love the swords, and my wife would love the Bacopa caroliniana (we have the fake stuff in our tank now). I may slowly replace some of the fake stuff with real stuff depending on how this goes. I haven't had live plants in a tank since I was a kid. I spent some time earlier this week super gluing java moss to the rock decor so that the shrimp have another place to hide. Checked on them this morning, and they're already back to their red color, so they're settling in nicely.

Your rainbows looks great, BTW. Still waiting for the dominant Boesemani to show up, as they're all basically the same right now, but our dominant Turquoise is bright ass blue now. Same for one of our tiger barbs - he has the reddest head I have ever seen on one.

I already bought some Seachem Flourish, but if that doesn't work well, I'll give the Co-Op a shot.
Last edited by NTP66 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 am

I was concerned about my rainbows because I bought 4 females and 2 males to help them get their color up. I lost a male the first night, so I was concerned he wouldn't color up since he didn't have any competition, but he is getting super dark and rich color. I'll have to try and get a picture of the apisto. He is a boss

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:20 am

Grabbed these while doing the water change this morning

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:59 am

Very nice. Got the new LEDs setup on ours, and this may be the best value light I’ve ever come across at $60. White and blue LEDs, individually controllable, and dimmable.

In related news, haven’t seen the shrimp since day 2. :lol:

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:18 am

Potato quality, but here’s a shot of our dominant turquoise rainbow, who I’ve noticed is a total dick. Beautiful coloring, though, especially the bright yellow head.

And our new neon blue dwarf gourami.

mamaemeritus

Pet Thread

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:31 am

We had to let our oldest boy, Bruce, go last Monday. Even though he was almost 17, and in end stage kidney failure, it was one of the single hardest days of my life. I don't think I've felt normal since. Just really freakin' sad. The house is somehow quieter and bigger now.
We have his little sister, our tripod baby, still at home. She loved him so much. My heart breaks for her, now by herself, wondering where he is.