Movie Thread

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:52 am

How hard was it to not discuss Spaceballs with him?
:lol: The first time I met him was at a family party and I knew he'd be there. I had to mentally prepare myself so I didn't fanboy out. Once I met him, though, he was so sweet and so obviously not in celebrity mode that I just looked at him as my friend's father-in-law. Plus he really didn't have much time for anybody but his grandkid. It was adorable.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 am

How hard was it to not discuss Spaceballs with him?
I wouldn't have been able to resist. It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:50 pm

I met Mel Brooks a few times after I became friends with his daughter-in-law in grad school. My favorite part was every time I was around him, he was never Mel Brooks. He was just a grandpa hanging out with his grandson and following his orders. Always incredibly sweet to everybody and he took the time for a quick chat, but only until his grandson's next command.
Damn that is so cool. I love that he is not only still around but still doing well health-wise and sharp as a tack. It's crazy, that he and Carl Reiner (at 98) are still so hale and hearty. Even though Brooks has lived a long life, man it will suck when he goes.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Watched the neverending story. It is still great.
I rewatched it last year and had completely forgotten Major Dad was in it.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:55 pm

I met Mel Brooks a few times after I became friends with his daughter-in-law in grad school. My favorite part was every time I was around him, he was never Mel Brooks. He was just a grandpa hanging out with his grandson and following his orders. Always incredibly sweet to everybody and he took the time for a quick chat, but only until his grandson's next command.
Damn that is so cool. I love that he is not only still around but still doing well health-wise and sharp as a tack. It's crazy, that he and Carl Reiner (at 98) are still so hale and hearty. Even though Brooks has lived a long life, man it will suck when he goes.
This was 10 years ago now so I'm not quite sure how he's doing these days but judging by interviews and appearances, he looks as sharp as ever. Also, his son Max is a great dude. I felt a bit more comfortable around him since he's my friend's husband and obviously not as intimidating as Mel. I allowed myself to fanboy to him about his own work. Plus, I think he just loved talking about zombies.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:04 pm

I had no idea that the Max Brooks who wrote World War Z was Mel’s son.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:15 pm

If it's still around in five years, they should put Mel Brooks on Mount Rushmore just on principal.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:18 pm

If it's still around in five years, they should put Mel Brooks on Mount Rushmore just on principal.
On it? They should replace Mount Rushmore WITH him.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:19 pm

anyone watch king of staten isaldn

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:21 pm

I want to watch it, but I just can't stand Pete Davidson. So I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:24 pm

On it? They should replace Mount Rushmore WITH him.
He's a dude who literally fought against Nazis, then came home and made them even more of a joke in The Producers in a time when people weren't really joking about Hitler. I'll support a Mel Brooks monument any day.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:24 pm

Wow, Lethal Weapon did not age as well as Die Hard. Cheesy score (yes, I even know it’s Clapton/Sanborn/Kamen), slow motion fights, Gibson’s homophobic lines were jarring as well.

How is Murtaugh’s daughter 26 when they filmed that? She looks 15.

It’s also set during Christmas, but doesn’t get the “Is it a Christmas movie” treatment like Die Hard does.
"It's a Christmas movie treatment"........ for the love of.......................

Think about what happens to the characters, what story has to take place, off-camera before you see a foot of film. Nothing in Lethal Weapon needs to take place at Christmas, so therefore it's mostly lazy set decoration. With Die Hard, no one event needs to be at Christmas for the story to be believable... but all of them stacking up simultaneously..... the only thing that explains it with minimal exposition is the Christmas holiday.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:27 pm

:|

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Wow, Lethal Weapon did not age as well as Die Hard. Cheesy score (yes, I even know it’s Clapton/Sanborn/Kamen), slow motion fights, Gibson’s homophobic lines were jarring as well.

How is Murtaugh’s daughter 26 when they filmed that? She looks 15.

It’s also set during Christmas, but doesn’t get the “Is it a Christmas movie” treatment like Die Hard does.
"It's a Christmas movie treatment"........ for the love of.......................

Think about what happens to the characters, what story has to take place, off-camera before you see a foot of film. Nothing in Lethal Weapon needs to take place at Christmas, so therefore it's mostly lazy set decoration. With Die Hard, no one event needs to be at Christmas for the story to be believable... but all of them stacking up simultaneously..... the only thing that explains it with minimal exposition is the Christmas holiday.
Well, Mel couldn’t exactly sell Christmas trees any other time of the year...

:lol:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Movie Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:48 pm

I want to watch it, but I just can't stand Pete Davidson. So I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it.
same here.

I was gonna suggest that the only way I might watch it would be if I was at my sister's place and she had it on Netflix. But then I forgot she doesn't care for him either, so it looks like I won't be watching it.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 pm

Yeah, but there's nothing specific about that device that requires he's selling Christmas trees. It could be a fireworks stand for 4th of July. Or a pumpkin patch in November.

What gets all the Nakatomi employees in one place, with Chairman Takagi? What event would cause Nakatomi tower to otherwise be unoccupied with skeleton security? What could get McClane to fly across the country to reunite with his estranged family? There are lots of plausible explanations for each of those, individually.... but what one event accomplishes all of those simultaneously with minimal exposition? Christmas. Die Hard has to take place at Christmas.

Die Hard is more dependent on the Christmas holiday for its story to succeed than It's A Wonderful Life. Take that.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:52 pm

Die Hard is both one of the best action movies of all time, and one of the best Christmas movies of all time. If you don't agree. You are wrong.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:56 pm

<3

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Movie Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Yeah, but there's nothing specific about that device that requires he's selling Christmas trees. It could be a fireworks stand for 4th of July. Or a pumpkin patch in November.

What gets all the Nakatomi employees in one place, with Chairman Takagi? What event would cause Nakatomi tower to otherwise be unoccupied with skeleton security? What could get McClane to fly across the country to reunite with his estranged family? There are lots of plausible explanations for each of those, individually.... but what one event accomplishes all of those simultaneously with minimal exposition? Christmas. Die Hard has to take place at Christmas.

Die Hard is more dependent on the Christmas holiday for its story to succeed than It's A Wonderful Life. Take that.
This might be one of the best explanations as to why Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:20 pm

tif's gravestone will definitely read "Die Hard is a Christmas movie"

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:21 pm

:|
:fist:

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:23 pm

Never saw it

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 am

Watched Independence Day last night, I will never get tired of watching that movie. Oops, what do you mean oops

CBear3

Movie Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 am

Stay away Satan! :slug:

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am

Figured I'd share this here as well since Mel and Carl have been discussed the last few pages.

The two of them had a chance to get together one last time for Mel's 94th birthday a few days ago.

What a photo.