COVID-19

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:17 am

As opposed to the schtick of dismissing any valid counterpoint to your own as "not worth discussing"

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:23 am

I'm not saying I even disagree...it very well might be indoor stuff being allowed to come back.

All I'm saying - which is apparently annoying - is allow people to discuss things freely...

I feel like that's a pretty light and breezy ask...but I don't think anyone tries to squash more conversation than you. As someone who is big on civil liberties, I see it, and don't like it...
:fist: If you don't want to talk about it, just move on and let others discuss. I do that with the nobody and fish cleaner debate.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:27 am

We're trying to find the main (if applicable) source of what is causing the virus numbers to spike again because it will mean very tough decisions regarding our economy and the health of both businesses and people. You have really accelerated your desire to squash any conversation that could turn out poorly for your team's cause and it's to a deeply concerning level as far as message board discussion goes...it seems...unwell, in a word, at this point. #DoctorMikey
The massive case spikes are tied to TX, FL, AZ and CA. Why would protests be responsible for the spikes when like ~75% of the new cases are tied to these specific places when the protests were nationwide to some extent. On normal days, we all seem pretty aligned to the idea that outdoor transmission is unlikely, and we can call out those of us that tried tried to shame the Ozarks and the beaches and such for being wrong.

Your schtick is getting annoying.
Cities in each state listed that had large protests

TX

Houston, Dallas, Austin

FL

Miami, Tampa

AZ

Phoenix

CA

SF, SD, LA

Cities in these states having large out breaks

SD, LA, Phoenix, Miami, Houston, Tampa, Austin, Dallas

Is this 100% caused by protests? No. But to say they aren’t one of the main sources is naive. Yes I know the study posted in here said they aren’t, but then right away said in the same study they have no clue.

None of these cities had massive spikes until two to three weeks until after Memorial Day and protests happened. To blame it all on Memorial Day and bars is **** ing dumb as ****.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:30 am

But... you can also list city after city that had protests and you don't see spikes.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:33 am

blame game doesn't really matter much at this point imo. cases are increasing and regardless of why, that's not great

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 am

blame game doesn't really matter much at this point imo. cases are increasing and regardless of why, that's not great
Correct... something is different in the US than other countries that experienced outbreaks... what's different? I'm sure someone has the answer, but I certainly don't.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The only sources of data that we have out there are saying they aren't tied to it but they are monitoring the situation and that might change. Are there any studies that say the opposite? That's an honest question, I don't know and I haven't seen them.

When arguing the validity of protests being a spreader, we can either speculate or we can look at what's available to us. I don't think anybody here has ever argued that protests = 100% safe. Protests have a few things going for them over indoor bars that are currently making a difference.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am

is it all because of protests, no. is it all because of indoor dining, no. is it all because of people not wearing masks no.. mixed bag imo, I surely don't have the answers

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am

Based on some of the Philly data that I glanced at in passing just now, it looks like our testing is going up, but our positive cases have largely remained going down. I don't know what other cities numbers were, but I feel like we had some pretty big protests...but we don't have indoor seating permitted right now. We also just opened up outdoor seating like two weeks ago or something...

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:37 am

is it all because of protests, no. is it all because of indoor dining, no. is it all because of people not wearing masks no.. mixed bag imo, I surely don't have the answers
:thumb: Agree. It's complex.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:41 am

Correct... something is different in the US than other countries that experienced outbreaks... what's different? I'm sure someone has the answer, but I certainly don't.
Watching the NE is probably the best bet. Most of those states got hammered like the European countries at the beginning. It could literally be it mostly ran its course in the other countries.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:52 am

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The only sources of data that we have out there are saying they aren't tied to it but they are monitoring the situation and that might change. Are there any studies that say the opposite? That's an honest question, I don't know and I haven't seen them.

When arguing the validity of protests being a spreader, we can either speculate or we can look at what's available to us. I don't think anybody here has ever argued that protests = 100% safe. Protests have a few things going for them over indoor bars that are currently making a difference.
You keep citing data. Is there actually data, or are you basing it on the non-scientific breakdown from reddit and the commentary of local area doctors in news articles?

I'm not arguing, I'm asking.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:57 am

Based on some of the Philly data that I glanced at in passing just now, it looks like our testing is going up, but our positive cases have largely remained going down. I don't know what other cities numbers were, but I feel like we had some pretty big protests...but we don't have indoor seating permitted right now. We also just opened up outdoor seating like two weeks ago or something...
Philly is delaying the modified green opening on July 3rd, from what I read the other day, too.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 am

You keep citing data. Is there actually data, or are you basing it on the non-scientific breakdown from reddit and the commentary of local area doctors in news articles?

I'm not arguing, I'm asking.
I'm citing the study published by National Bureau of Economic Research as well as the recent reporting from the ACHD. Locally, it's not being seen. And according to the study it isn't being seen on a national level either. That isn't to say that there isn't spread at protests but that it wouldn't be the source of the spike.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... s-n1232045
"It's certainly possible that there is probably a small increase in cases among the protesting population," Dhaval Dave, an economics professor at Bentley University and one of the authors of the paper, said. But "when we look at the population of the counties as a net, there does not seem to have been significant community spread and no significant increase at all in overall cases at the population level."

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:09 am

:lol:

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:10 am

Awesome.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:11 am

That's actually just a pair of panties

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:12 am

The article says the protests' potential increase may be offset by increased stay at home behavior.

And then the NYC stance of not even pursuing that kind of tracing.

It falls under the large category of "We have hearsay and conjecture...those are types of evidence..."

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:12 am

That's actually just a pair of panties
Been there

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:30 am

I haven't seen this posted, apologies if it was. Interesting. #H2P

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-a ... in-region/

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:36 am

Didn't Pitt announce a few months ago that they were close to a vaccine for this thing? What ever happened to that?

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:48 am

Same thing that happens every cure for cancer or aids...Magic Johnson eats them.

Not the medicine, the scientists...

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 am

what will be interesting to see is how the hospitalization numbers will be in 2-3 weeks. this is the typical 'incubation' time for the patient to develop symptoms critical enough to require hospitalization. i am supportive of a 'wait and see' to evaluate what happens to the increase in younger people who are testing positive. asymptomatic positivitity rates remain low (less than 0.50%) which would suggest that the people testing positive now are moderately symptomatic and stable at home. if we reach mid july and hospitalization numbers remain constant - total numbers not % of positives - we will need to evaluate the decision knowing people will get sick (as with any communicable illness) vs socioeconomic impact of continuing shut down. until then, wash your hands, wear your mask, dont open mouth kiss strangers

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:04 pm

https://rt.live/

Some r focused stats.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:33 pm

what will be interesting to see is how the hospitalization numbers will be in 2-3 weeks. this is the typical 'incubation' time for the patient to develop symptoms critical enough to require hospitalization. i am supportive of a 'wait and see' to evaluate what happens to the increase in younger people who are testing positive. asymptomatic positivitity rates remain low (less than 0.50%) which would suggest that the people testing positive now are moderately symptomatic and stable at home. if we reach mid july and hospitalization numbers remain constant - total numbers not % of positives - we will need to evaluate the decision knowing people will get sick (as with any communicable illness) vs socioeconomic impact of continuing shut down. until then, wash your hands, wear your mask, dont open mouth kiss strangers
Spot on