BEER

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:28 pm

I have been in a weird beer rut where I just haven't felt like drinking beer at all. I'm not happy about it, been on bourbon, wine, seltzers.. beer just makes me feel bloated. Hoping some patio drinking and summer brews will turn things around
I've also drank less since this isolation started. I think a lot of it has to do with knowing I'll be home with the kids all day every day. That said lately, I've been on a G&T kick

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:15 pm

I have been in a weird beer rut where I just haven't felt like drinking beer at all. I'm not happy about it, been on bourbon, wine, seltzers.. beer just makes me feel bloated. Hoping some patio drinking and summer brews will turn things around
I’ve been this way for a couple of years now. Anything more than two beers and I’m bloated and tired. I tend to have one beer and then switch to bourbon, vodka, or gin unless I’m at a tap house.

willeyeam

BEER

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:25 pm

I've also drank less since this isolation started. I think a lot of it has to do with knowing I'll be home with the kids all day every day. That said lately, I've been on a G&T kick
Hey now, I didn't say I drank less ;)

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:21 am

Old Nation Brewing Co.'s M-43.... meh. Don't get me wrong. It's a good beer and I'm going to drink them, but it seemed to be super hyped and I don't see the hype. It's on par with many good NEIPA beers that I've had. I can get something from Troegs, Platform (when I'm in Cleveland), Singlecut, etc. that are better than this beer and far less expensive.

Lawson's Finest Liquids Sip of Sunshine... If you're looking for a slightly less bitter and slightly more boozy Fathead's Headhunter, this is your beer. It's good, but again, if I want that style of beer, I'll just grab a Headhunter and enjoy it at a cheaper price.
I think that beer was a little overhyped, but how old was it? That’s the problem with any of the shelf haze—it’s often not stored cold and can fall off as quickly as 3 weeks from packaging. More or less the problem with Singlecut stuff too—legit hops, but it’s hard to find fresh as single cans sitting on warm shelves.

I think Sip is a showstopper. More of a slightly bitter east coast than west coast, IMO. but headhunter isn’t a bad comp since it’s a lower bitterness/higher tropical west coaster. Double and Triple sunshine are also amazing—in particular, when I had triple last year it kind of blew me away in a year with a lot of good beer.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:23 am

I’ve been making up for all you slackers. Drinking a good bit of beer during the pandemic between using brewery runs as an excuse to get out and drinking down the cellar. Happy to continue to do my part to even things out.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:10 am

The M43 was from May and wasn’t kept cold, so maybe that’s the issue...

I drank Sip after I drank the M43, so I’ll certainly give it its fair chance tonight as the first beverage I drink on my zoom call with grad school friends.

I agree with Kraftster. My drinking has definitely increased in these stressful pandemic days.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:38 am

The M43 was from May and wasn’t kept cold, so maybe that’s the issue...

I drank Sip after I drank the M43, so I’ll certainly give it its fair chance tonight as the first beverage I drink on my zoom call with grad school friends.

I agree with Kraftster. My drinking has definitely increased in these stressful pandemic days.
May’s not bad. Like I said, that beer has lost some of its standing at this point is definitely probably overrated off of its original hype. And I don’t mean to be obnoxiously snobby on the age—only care for hops. I’m not an expert on the science, but I’ve heard a lot of brewers comment on the lack of shelf stability of hazy IPA. There are places trying to find ways to make it more stable, but to me, this is a style that’s best consumed locally at the source. In that regard it’s kind of fun to travel and try the local hazy ipa in other cities.

Lots of non-beer factors for me with Sip. I love all of my beer trips to VT, and it’s one you have to get when there, so I’m sure there’s a lot going on when I drink one beyond just immediate sensory. At its best, I just feel like it’s got a punchy and unique east coast hop medley going on that runs of the full gamut of floral, tropical, pine, and a little citrus. I think the body and stickiness stands out most for me, almost as if it’s mixed with honey marinating with hop oils. Sigh, might have to try to go find a 4-pack now since Pgh is seeing a bit of Lawson’s now.

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:07 am

Lawsons is in Pittsburgh now? Didn’t realize they branched that far out.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:17 am

Source of the post I’m not an expert on the science, but I’ve heard a lot of brewers comment on the lack of shelf stability of hazy IPA. There are places trying to find ways to make it more stable, but to me, this is a style that’s best consumed locally at the source. In that regard it’s kind of fun to travel and try the local hazy ipa in other cities.
:thumb:

Yeah, the stability has a lot to do with the compounds that are extracted at flame out and dry hopping. The same compounds are extracted if hops are added early, but the boil accelerates the degradation of the humulones and terpines. Those compounds don't degrade immediately from the dry hop, but over time they certainly will dimerize or otherwise chemically react and most are pretty volatile as well. Have you ever had a beer where it smelled amazing and tasted meh? That's just the volatility at work. Some are certainly more reactive or volatile than others, so stability will differ from beer to beer. Unfortunately the chemical is what the chemical is and it has intrinsic properties. There aren't really ways to solve the issue. The only real way to solve it is to design a beer with more stable flavor compounds.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:22 am

I've been drinking a select few mangs from the last cup run and my have they been delightful

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:51 am

Source of the post I’m not an expert on the science, but I’ve heard a lot of brewers comment on the lack of shelf stability of hazy IPA. There are places trying to find ways to make it more stable, but to me, this is a style that’s best consumed locally at the source. In that regard it’s kind of fun to travel and try the local hazy ipa in other cities.
:thumb:

Yeah, the stability has a lot to do with the compounds that are extracted at flame out and dry hopping. The same compounds are extracted if hops are added early, but the boil accelerates the degradation of the humulones and terpines. Those compounds don't degrade immediately from the dry hop, but over time they certainly will dimerize or otherwise chemically react and most are pretty volatile as well. Have you ever had a beer where it smelled amazing and tasted meh? That's just the volatility at work. Some are certainly more reactive or volatile than others, so stability will differ from beer to beer. Unfortunately the chemical is what the chemical is and it has intrinsic properties. There aren't really ways to solve the issue. The only real way to solve it is to design a beer with more stable flavor compounds.
I think since the big hitter hazies rely so heavily on dry hopping, there are some techniques developed to eliminate any oxygen contact at the dry hopping stage (one pgh area brewer was telling me about some sort of counter-pressured hop gun kinda deal). I also get the impression from listening to a bunch of podcasts with various well-regarded brewers that there are potential other ways to achieve haziness that would help make the product more shelf stable too. There are other brewers I've heard who kind of hate the style because it has such little stability. I sense there's a little old-school get-off-my-lawn at work there, but most of those I've heard in that camp are traditionalists who think that (1) a style that does not have any real to-style standards because you can achieve the look and flavor in a couple different ways is bunk and (2) the style requires little skill because you can just cover flaws up with more dry hopping. The latter point is probably pretty true, as there are lots of breweries that make good haze that cannot produce more delicate styles without some amount of off flavors.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:53 am

Yeah, in the last couple months. Frost also just arrived (maybe some Alchemist could be next...). Allagash is back now too. Sloop is the other recent addition. Considering the amazing local scene, great time to be a beer drinker in pgh.

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:55 am

Yeah, you can control ingredient storage which will help, but once it's in the beer, the clock starts ticking.

I know for me, a new brewery beer that you start with is pilsner (if they have one). If they can nail that, they can nail anything.

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:24 am

Yeah, in the last couple months. Frost also just arrived (maybe some Alchemist could be next...). Allagash is back now too. Sloop is the other recent addition. Considering the amazing local scene, great time to be a beer drinker in pgh.
Nice. Any zero gravity? I won’t be able to get to Vermont this summer, so will miss out on my usual stock up. Don’t get Vermont beers down here, except magic hat (no thanks) and the occasional otter creek. Allagash is pretty common though.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Nice. Any zero gravity? I won’t be able to get to Vermont this summer, so will miss out on my usual stock up. Don’t get Vermont beers down here, except magic hat (no thanks) and the occasional otter creek. Allagash is pretty common though.
Nope. Allagash limited stuff is when I will get very interested, though White is such a great beer.

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:55 pm

I haven't had anything from Allagash since I was in Portland in... 2014ish? Might have to give 'em another go. It's not that I didn't like it, just don't seek it out.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:29 pm

Most places, including Ross where I live, aren't recycling glass any more, but cans are still highly recyclable, so I've been finding myself leaning toward purchasing canned beer over bottled beer. Canned beer is also more compact and lighter to carry than bottles. Is anyone else making beer decisions by the type of packaging?
If I'm going to a party, I'll usually grab cans for that reason. Less struggle trying to find an opener if you're not a professional, and cans seems easier to dispose of.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:18 pm

In a weird way though, I feel like drinking bottles at a party helps limit consumption because they're annoying to open and harder to drink out of*.

*results anecdotal at best

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:48 pm

Upon reevaluating sip of sunshine, my original thoughts still hold. It’s a less bitter and more boozy headhunter. Not to say it’s bad, it’s just not worth the price tag IMO.

RonnieFranchise

BEER

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Anyone use Tavour or know anything about how well it works in PA?

https://about.tavour.com/

Suprisingly, PA is not one of the three states on Tavour's "do not ship" list. They will ship here, but you can only get a 12 pack a month and you can't have more than one sixer of any brand per shipment.
So to start, Mr. Adams says, Levante has a minimum of three four-packs and a maximum of six four-packs for any single order. They announced the service Wednesday afternoon, earlier than planned, and have started taking pre-orders that they’ll start fulfilling on Monday.

The actual carrier is Pittsburgh-based Quick Courier Service (QCS), which also delivers beers from all over the world for Tavour (https://about.tavour.com). That, too, is legal in Pennsylvania within certain parameters set in 2016 (Pennsylvania-licensed out-of-state retailers or wholesalers can ship consumers up to about a 12-pack a month as long as no more than about a six-pack is of any single brand).
https://www.post-gazette.com/business/2 ... 1901250133
So I'm on my second crate from Tavour which since the above quoted post apparently has had restrictions lifted- my June crate had 40-something beers in it.

I'm finding 1) I'm not as big a Hazy fan as I thought I was, especially if they're too sweet and 2) I am digging the sour/Gose selections I got. There was an excellent Anchorage Relucent ( Sour Cherry) that I only got one of. 3) Agree the M-43 was overrated.

Also got some basic Georgetown pales that went down real nice. Tombstone Stata Double IPA was very enjoyable.

It is definitely pricey and they hosed my shipment up for two weeks. Get a lot of stuff you wouldn't otherwise, though.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Suprisingly, PA is not one of the three states on Tavour's "do not ship" list. They will ship here, but you can only get a 12 pack a month and you can't have more than one sixer of any brand per shipment.
So to start, Mr. Adams says, Levante has a minimum of three four-packs and a maximum of six four-packs for any single order. They announced the service Wednesday afternoon, earlier than planned, and have started taking pre-orders that they’ll start fulfilling on Monday.

The actual carrier is Pittsburgh-based Quick Courier Service (QCS), which also delivers beers from all over the world for Tavour (https://about.tavour.com). That, too, is legal in Pennsylvania within certain parameters set in 2016 (Pennsylvania-licensed out-of-state retailers or wholesalers can ship consumers up to about a 12-pack a month as long as no more than about a six-pack is of any single brand).
So I'm on my second crate from Tavour which since the above quoted post apparently has had restrictions lifted- my June crate had 40-something beers in it.

I'm finding 1) I'm not as big a Hazy fan as I thought I was, especially if they're too sweet and 2) I am digging the sour/Gose selections I got. There was an excellent Anchorage Relucent ( Sour Cherry) that I only got one of. 3) Agree the M-43 was overrated.

Also got some basic Georgetown pales that went down real nice. Tombstone Stata Double IPA was very enjoyable.

It is definitely pricey and they hosed my shipment up for two weeks. Get a lot of stuff you wouldn't otherwise, though.
I think I placed one Tavour order. They do get some really nice stuff at times (Fremont barrel stuff stands out), and I am a huge fan of Anchorage, which they always have in nice supply. That said, I have been shipping a box a year from Belgium, and I prefer to spend the money I'd spend shipping Tavour on local breweries since the options are so plentiful these days. Are you in Pgh? If so, I don't think there's any reason to spend the money to ship in hazy ipa unless you're talking about one of the true big boys: Hill Farmstead, Monkish, maybe Tree House. Brew Gentlemen, Roundabout, Stick City, and Gnome should really have you covered. Even Cinderlands, Four Points, Eleventh Hour have some solid ones. Also can ship Tired Hands within PA now, and although they fart around with some weird ones, the good ones are really good.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm

I think I placed one Tavour order. They do get some really nice stuff at times (Fremont barrel stuff stands out), and I am a huge fan of Anchorage, which they always have in nice supply. That said, I have been shipping a box a year from Belgium, and I prefer to spend the money I'd spend shipping Tavour on local breweries since the options are so plentiful these days. Are you in Pgh? If so, I don't think there's any reason to spend the money to ship in hazy ipa unless you're talking about one of the true big boys: Hill Farmstead, Monkish, maybe Tree House. Brew Gentlemen, Roundabout, Stick City, and Gnome should really have you covered. Even Cinderlands, Four Points, Eleventh Hour have some solid ones. Also can ship Tired Hands within PA now, and although they fart around with some weird ones, the good ones are really good.

I made a Google map with all of the local breweries on it. I'll often pick a direction and just make a loop, or pick a cluster. It's pretty easy to hit 5 or 6 breweries a weekend and not double up for quite some time.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:41 pm

I made a Google map with all of the local breweries on it. I'll often pick a direction and just make a loop, or pick a cluster. It's pretty easy to hit 5 or 6 breweries a weekend and not double up for quite some time.
:thumb: For sure. And the 28 corridor (in theory: Grist, Strange Roots, Dancing Gnome, Hitchhiker, [Old Thunder], Leaning Cask, Conny Creek, and Cellar Works) is going to be even better by the end of the year with Old Thunder in Blawnox.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 pm

tjand72

BEER

Postby tjand72 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:15 pm

Lancaster Brewing's Imperial Jo espresso milk stout is very smooth. Good stuff.