House Buying Thread

MrKennethTKangaroo

House Buying Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:00 am

Has anyone actually appealed a tax assessment and actually won (i.e. ended up with lower taxes)

mac5155

House Buying Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:02 pm

I think I recall my coworker saying they reduced his by a few hundred bucks because he is in Baldwin but assessed at Peter's rates or something like that #southhills

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:37 am

The joys of buying a house woke up this morning to find some water in the garage....traced it back to the laundry room and the water heater is leaking water everywhere. Have a new water heater coming in about an hour to get installed. The one here was 19 years old so I assumed we would have had to replace it in a year or two, but I guess that time is now ha. It's funny cause we just replaced the 22 year old water heater in our old house before we sold because it started leaking.

Also the brand new samsung appliances that they had installed in the kitchen are nice, but the dishwasher that worked during inspection decided to not work when we went to use it for the first time. Per the flashing code on the buttons it says its possibly a water sensor issue, or a leak. I don't see any leaks underneath, but hard to say without yanking it out. Contact samsung as all the appliances are in warranty until May of 2021 and the soonest they have a tech in my area to come out is July 7th. *sigh*

dodint

House Buying Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:23 am

I thought you said you bought new construction. I must've misread you when you were talking about your Zoom showing.

nocera

House Buying Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:30 am

Source of the post Also the brand new samsung appliances that they had installed in the kitchen are nice, but the dishwasher that worked during inspection decided to not work when we went to use it for the first time. Per the flashing code on the buttons it says its possibly a water sensor issue, or a leak. I don't see any leaks underneath, but hard to say without yanking it out. Contact samsung as all the appliances are in warranty until May of 2021 and the soonest they have a tech in my area to come out is July 7th. *sigh*
I too have a brand new Samsung dishwasher that suddenly stopped working due to a water sensor issue. It turned out there was some dirt or food in the sensor and it was blocking the little float thing from moving when the water filled up, making the dishwasher think there was a leak.

I used a few separate videos to help me fix it. This one shows the floater system:

Basically once I got the thing apart I could clearly see it there was some obstruction in there and it just took a while to clean it out with a toothpick. I'm not at all a handy person but it was a pretty quick fix.

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:31 am

I thought you said you bought new construction. I must've misread you when you were talking about your Zoom showing.
They redid the house ... IE updated the flooring, put in new cabinets, appliances, new stuff in the bathroom (vanities, tiled the showers etc, basement is finished. Not new construction from the ground up though.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:34 am

Must be dishwasher season. I replaced the springs on the door last month, and right now the door goes past horizontal, so I'll be replacing the hinges on both sides, along with the door cables, since one of them is more worn than the other. At least it's an easy job to take the door apart.

MrKennethTKangaroo

House Buying Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 am

I'm looking at houses now (first time buyer) and the thought of pouring tens of thousands of dollars into down payments and closing costs and facing 30 years of mortgage payments only to show up and have water leaking and appliances not applying makes me want to vomit

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

House Buying Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am

We've been in our house for about a month now and we're happy to see (after a few torrential downpours), that everything seems to be working properly. The only things that are issues are superficial things that we'll eventually get to.

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:17 am

Source of the post Also the brand new samsung appliances that they had installed in the kitchen are nice, but the dishwasher that worked during inspection decided to not work when we went to use it for the first time. Per the flashing code on the buttons it says its possibly a water sensor issue, or a leak. I don't see any leaks underneath, but hard to say without yanking it out. Contact samsung as all the appliances are in warranty until May of 2021 and the soonest they have a tech in my area to come out is July 7th. *sigh*
I too have a brand new Samsung dishwasher that suddenly stopped working due to a water sensor issue. It turned out there was some dirt or food in the sensor and it was blocking the little float thing from moving when the water filled up, making the dishwasher think there was a leak.

I used a few separate videos to help me fix it. This one shows the floater system:

Basically once I got the thing apart I could clearly see it there was some obstruction in there and it just took a while to clean it out with a toothpick. I'm not at all a handy person but it was a pretty quick fix.
Yeah ours seems similar. I'm just hesitant to pull it out myself cause I suck at that sort of stuff.

We have this dishwasher

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-applian ... 2031us-aa/

nocera

House Buying Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:20 am

Different model than mine but I assume the insides all work pretty much the same. I'm sure it's a quick fix for the tech. It seems to be a super common issue, almost to the point of it being a defect. I was surprised that I was able to fix it on my own. That may have been a first in my life.

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:20 am

I'm looking at houses now (first time buyer) and the thought of pouring tens of thousands of dollars into down payments and closing costs and facing 30 years of mortgage payments only to show up and have water leaking and appliances not applying makes me want to vomit
It comes with owning a house. It just is what it is. You can have inspections etc, but sometimes stuff just happens after you move in. We got a home warranty but since the appliances are all still under mfg warranty with Samsung until 2021 have to go through them.

The waterheater we had planned to replace in a year or two, the inspector told us it was old but still functional. We could have asked the sellers to replace it, but we didn't. To Mr. Waterheaters credit I called at 8AM on the dot, they had someone here at 8:45, and he just left and the new water heater is installed and working and it was only around $900 installed (extra cost was adding expansion tank, and flex gas line, their base price is like $720).

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:21 am

It's really not that bad, skull. Watch a video on the process and it'll confirm that.

nocera

House Buying Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:22 am

Source of the post To Mr. Waterheaters credit I called at 8AM on the dot, they had someone here at 8:45
I think we may have bought the exact same house... We also had an older water heater that was on its way out and we also called Mr. Waterheater. They sent someone out the same day and had a new one installed in a few hours.

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:20 am

Wait, so your water heater wasn't covered under the home warranty, skull?

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 am

It probably was, but I needed it like right way. I felt trying to do with the warranty company and them trying to find someone to come out would have taken too long, even with the water shut off, and the gas line off it was still leaking a significant amount of water out of the top of the water heater. It needed fixed ASAP. I'm sure I could maybe submit a claim or something if I really wanted to.

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:27 am

It probably was, but I needed it like right way. I felt trying to do with the warranty company and them trying to find someone to come out would have taken too long, even with the water shut off, and the gas line off it was still leaking a significant amount of water out of the top of the water heater. It needed fixed ASAP. I'm sure I could maybe submit a claim or something if I really wanted to.
Depends on the warranty company. For 9 hundo, worth a shot

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:31 am

Depends on the warranty company. For 9 hundo, worth a shot
Yeah I am going to email them and ask. Worst they can say is no.

mac5155

House Buying Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Home warranty

dodint

House Buying Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Listing the house on Friday. Starting to see the light at the end of this tunnel. Almost everything is moved. Just need to mow the lawn, do some final paintwork, and then sign the contract with the realtor.

Realtor thinks we can get a $20k-35k more than we paid for it three years ago. Well earned commission if he does.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:24 pm

Good luck, dodint. :thumb:

MrKennethTKangaroo

House Buying Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Listing the house on Friday. Starting to see the light at the end of this tunnel. Almost everything is moved. Just need to mow the lawn, do some final paintwork, and then sign the contract with the realtor.

Realtor thinks we can get a $20k-35k more than we paid for it three years ago. Well earned commission if he does.
The kangaroo is house hunting now (not in your neck of the woods). it is a savage business out there right now. You will get your $20 to $35k.

dodint

House Buying Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:02 pm

That's exactly what we were told. Property is in short supply. Stuff isn't staying on the market long and competing offers are common. Not sure where he got the info, but nationally each listing is averaging 3 offers.

I'm not saying our results will be like that. But we moved into a house we own so there is zero incentive for us to take any kind of lowball offer. Our financial situation won't change whether the house sells or not, but it would be psychologically nice to be done with it.

Bet of luck to you.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Source of the post That's exactly what we were told. Property is in short supply. Stuff isn't staying on the market long and competing offers are common. Not sure where he got the info, but nationally each listing is averaging 3 offers.
My sister had 10 offers on her townhouse, with the first coming on day 1. Her place is nothing special, but it's definitely a seller's market. At least on this side of the state.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

House Buying Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 pm

We're still blown away at what we got for the price we paid. Looking at comparables, we definitely got a steal.