Pro Wrasslin' Thread

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:00 am

whoa... if this is true, WTF. I wonder how Corny is gonna respond to this.

I don't know if it's 100% true or fake, but it's definitely specific and seems like one of those things that would fall under "you can't make this type of thing up." If I were to guess and had to use a Snopes-type rating, it would be "mixture, mostly true." Going through the comments on that thread, it sounds like this isn't the first time that it happened.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:17 am

That same person posted the DMs for proof. He’s also been backed up by a few other OVW alums who corroborated his story.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:27 am

My "mostly true" was the thought that things could have been true but possibly exaggerated.

Being that Cornette's twitter is now gone, I'm now leaning towards what was said is very true. Deleting twitter isn't an automatic admittance of guilt, but it doesn't seem right that somebody would drop off without defending themselves.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:30 am

All of wrestling is currently having its own me too movement. Mostly NXTUK and indie wrestlers are being accursed but Matt Riddle’s name was also thrown out.

Just head to r/squaredcircle. There’s honestly too many to mention here.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:17 pm

And I checked the wrong account. @jimcornette is suspended, but more importantly the wrong account. @thejimcornette mentioned something about it this morning.

Matt Riddle is denying what happened, but WWE has told Jack Gallagher his services are no longer needed.

A new unnamed person from AEW might also be on the list.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:52 pm

if I'm reading this correctly, Taker has retired.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:56 pm

At this point, Taker is basically Terry Funk. I’ll never believe he’s retired.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:14 pm

You're probably right. He still show up once a year for that check, whether it be for Mania or for whatever event Vince pushes overseas.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:20 pm

You're probably right. He still show up once a year for that check, whether it be for Mania or for whatever event Vince pushes overseas.
Yep. Saudi’s will back up the money truck.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:06 am

ended up watching the last episode of his thing that he was doing. He even admitted that there was a "in case of emergency, break glass" scenario for Vince that he'd consider it.

So basically this announcement is not so much a retirement but him saying not to expect him in the ring full time. To me, this isn't any different than what's been going on for the last 6-7 years.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Who the hell is expecting Taker to wrestle full time? Only scenario I can tolerate seeing him wrestle is in one of those Matt Hardy style matches that takes advantage of all the mystical things Taker can do.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:22 pm

This is... whew. (Click for the full thread)

It's looking more and more like this whole thing was a hoax/lie. Awful.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:33 pm

Man, I hope so. Cornette is an dadhole but he was always fun to listen to, he knows a ridiculous amount of pro wrestling history, and he's great on the Vice show. He can have all the weird cuck sex he wants to as long as he's not being a predator and using a position of power over people. Apparently the accuser claimed it happened in 2017, when Cornette wasn't anywhere near OVW at that point.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:53 pm

Cornette released a special edition of his Drive Thru podcast dealing with this. He more or less admits that they like to have "fun"... but exposes the accuser as a 35 year old guy from Billings Montana.

I haven't listened to the entire thing yet, but he was particularly pissed about people attacking his wife, and understandably so.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Crap like this is exactly what is *NOT* needed. With so many people bringing legitimate horrible **** to light, this kind of garbage is why so many people don't always take accusations seriously and it serves no purpose but to make it even harder for those who have actually suffered through these incidents to come forward.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 pm

I watched this over the course of a week. It's a great trip down memory lane.

I still have my figures from when I was a kid and now it bothers me that I'm missing a few. I need: Dusty Rhodes, Greg Valentine, Koko B Ware, Texas Tornado, Warrior series 3, and Yoko series 8 (red on black pants). I don't think I realized how close to a full collection I have. Welp, off to eBay.

*edit* Holy **** I just realized that a loose 123 Kid goes for $400+ on eBay. I won't be telling my fiancé that.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:54 pm

I think my brother had Greg Valentine, and we definitely had Koko B Ware and Texas Tornado. I do remember 123 Kid being really hard to find back in the day. Like, I thought the toy existed only in rumor. My brother's friend might have had a 123 Kid.

Spangler

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:19 pm

Regarding this whole wrestling meltdown, I can't help but point out the hypocrisy in all of this. Practically every wrestler from the Ruthless Aggression Era down, should be blackballed from wrestling, if you were to judge accordingly. I do think many of them should get a second chance, but seems like a lot of people don't want that.

I just don't like to throw stones.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:32 pm

I understand what you're saying. But in order for progress to be made there has to be a time when a line is drawn in the sand and people realize this is no longer accepted behavior. The wrestling business has always been a really gross world behind the scenes. I mean, it's so gross and there are SO many examples of its grossness that they made a whole **** TV show about it. And it's in its third season. This is a needed positive change.

But you are absolutely right that guys in EVERY era somehow got away with doing ridiculous ****. I mean, Snuka murdered a woman. Austin beat his wife, Shawn was Shawn.

Spangler

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:52 pm

I agree. I'm not a fan of hazing at all, and would have hated some of the things "The boys" would do if I was apart of that scene. The wrestling business would certainly be better off if people didn't have to deal with that stuff. I just don't want to see people's career's ruined over lesser offenses, whatever that may be.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Apparently WWE had a large amount of wrestlers and staff members test positive for COVID. No real details yet except rumor is around 2 dozen people who were at the performance center have tested positive. Oh and Ric Flair was there.

*edit*

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:44 am

I watched this over the course of a week. It's a great trip down memory lane.

I still have my figures from when I was a kid and now it bothers me that I'm missing a few. I need: Dusty Rhodes, Greg Valentine, Koko B Ware, Texas Tornado, Warrior series 3, and Yoko series 8 (red on black pants). I don't think I realized how close to a full collection I have. Welp, off to eBay.

*edit* Holy **** I just realized that a loose 123 Kid goes for $400+ on eBay. I won't be telling my fiancé that.
I had a few of the full size and some of the thumb wrestlers. I know I had Hogan twice (destroyed one in a tug of war and split him at the right knee), Iron Sheik, JYD, and Piper. I think there may have been a Bundy too.

What's weird is that the thumb wrestlers were almost the same wrestlers: Hogan, Sheik, and Piper. I want to say there may have been a second Hogan too because the thumb wrestlers had to be bought in pairs and I don't remember having any other ones aside from those three. Or did we buy a second set of thumb wrestlers because there was a Hogan that was lost?

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:10 pm

"ugggggh, you got me, brother"

An interesting 10 minutes with Taker talking about Hogan faking a neck injury.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Reports are that the positive cases in WWE is now over 30 people. And they’re still planning on taping shows this weekend.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 pm

I've pretty much checked out of all of professional wrestling at this point. I was at least watching some AEW and NXT, but now not even that. I don't know what the actual reason is, but all of it just does nothing for me at this point.