Cooking and Dining

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:52 am

Would've been my recommendation. What rub you use?
Made a sauce and have a KC style rub from the local meat market. I'm excited to see how this goes. First attempt
Well?

willeyeam

Cooking and Dining

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Let you know at 5. Sauce came out pretty well

willeyeam

Cooking and Dining

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:59 am

Ehh not sure if it was the actual ribs I got but it was just okay. Came out kind of tough vs fall off the bone. Pretty fatty.. the meat tasted pretty good it just seemed to be a mix of a lot of fat and they were tough to separate/get the meat off. 5/10.. will try again

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:53 pm

Been playing around with sourdough the past few weeks... I've gotten pretty decent with the bread process:
But one thing that was driving me nuts was every time I'd feed the starter, I'd have to throw away a crap ton of good starter, so I tried doing some other stuff with it. I did a 7 day cold ferment on some pizza dough. Baller:
And then today I made some crackers with pretty much all the discard, flour, and oil. Then some seasonings:
On the left is an everything bagel flavored cracker. The right is dill, black pepper, and onion. They were phenomenal as far as crackers go.

willeyeam

Cooking and Dining

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:19 pm

That is awesome

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:28 pm

Ehh not sure if it was the actual ribs I got but it was just okay. Came out kind of tough vs fall off the bone. Pretty fatty.. the meat tasted pretty good it just seemed to be a mix of a lot of fat and they were tough to separate/get the meat off. 5/10.. will try again
Few things. Did you rip the membrane off the back? Are you sure you got baby backs and not some jamoke who cuts st Louis to look like baby backs and pass them off on a sucker?

Did you smoke at 220? Wrap in foil or butcher paper?

I can help but need details. For what it's worth competition BBQers don't want fall off the bone ribs, but they don't want what you describe either :lol:

I ran a separate point and flat today on my smoker. Made burnt ends. Deeeeelish. Brisket got rave reviews. Threw on a 2lb ring of hot eye-talian sausage when I got concerned I didn't have enough Food. Overall gr8 dad's day.

willeyeam

Cooking and Dining

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Few things. Did you rip the membrane off the back? Are you sure you got baby backs and not some jamoke who cuts st Louis to look like baby backs and pass them off on a sucker?

Did you smoke at 220? Wrap in foil or butcher paper?

I can help but need details. For what it's worth competition BBQers don't want fall off the bone ribs, but they don't want what you describe either :lol:

I ran a separate point and flat today on my smoker. Made burnt ends. Deeeeelish. Brisket got rave reviews. Threw on a 2lb ring of hot eye-talian sausage when I got concerned I didn't have enough Food. Overall gr8 dad's day.
Membrane - no. Might have screwed that up. They were definitely baby back, the STL ribs were right next to them at the counter. It's a good butcher.

Smoked at 200 the first 3 hours and 225 the next 3. Wrapped in foil. I did read that they don't want fall off the bone at competitions but I think most people would prefer that. I did not land on either end of the spectrum. I had a bunch of pulled pork and burnt ends delivered from a local bbq place that's been catering so it wasn't a disaster. I mostly just wanted to try to see how it would turn out

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:39 pm

I would bet dollars to donuts that ripping the membrane off will solve at least 75 percent of your problems. And doing the whole cook, 3 2 1, at 225 will go a long way.

Also my buddy does it, but I don't... But he sprays his every 30 mins with a 50/50 of ACV and EVOO.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:42 pm

The great thing about smoking, is there's always next time. Get back on the horse and go.

Also I love dry rub no sauce. Try it out..

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:57 am

I stand w mac on the membrane thing. It's pure connective tissue that no real amount of cookery can break down..

Kraftster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:19 am

Did a 72 hour koji ribeye side by side with non-koji last night. Both cooked reverse sear.
This was the thinnest steak I've ever used koji on (probably only 1-1.5" vs. 2-2.5" I've done in the past). It lost only about 12-15% of weight over the 72 hours, and I think in the past I've had as high as 25%+ on monster WF steaks. Overall, I think the koji end product is better the thicker you can get on the steak (I did overcook the koji slightly, so that probably didn't help).

I am also now curious about using koji on a leaner cut than ribeye. Doing the side by side, I feel like while the koji steak had the wonderful beefy flavor beefed up by the koji (with the slight nutty/sweetness it imparts), it was not quite as unctuous as the standard ribeye.

I used these guys on a little brioche slider buns with homemade horseradish mayo, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. Made for a great little sandwich.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Cooking and Dining

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:23 am

And this right here is the value that the kraftster brings to 5af

Kraftster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:48 am

Been playing around with sourdough the past few weeks... I've gotten pretty decent with the bread process:
But one thing that was driving me nuts was every time I'd feed the starter, I'd have to throw away a crap ton of good starter, so I tried doing some other stuff with it. I did a 7 day cold ferment on some pizza dough. Baller:
And then today I made some crackers with pretty much all the discard, flour, and oil. Then some seasonings:
On the left is an everything bagel flavored cracker. The right is dill, black pepper, and onion. They were phenomenal as far as crackers go.
Good stuff.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:09 am

I know tif is jelly of the pizza... :lol:

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:16 pm

This guy is who I got my sourdough starter instructions from, but he does other good stuff too.

McGriddles are probably my all-time favorite fast food food. Might have to try this recipe.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:30 pm

Did a 72 hour koji ribeye side by side with non-koji last night. Both cooked reverse sear.
This was the thinnest steak I've ever used koji on (probably only 1-1.5" vs. 2-2.5" I've done in the past). It lost only about 12-15% of weight over the 72 hours, and I think in the past I've had as high as 25%+ on monster WF steaks. Overall, I think the koji end product is better the thicker you can get on the steak (I did overcook the koji slightly, so that probably didn't help).

I am also now curious about using koji on a leaner cut than ribeye. Doing the side by side, I feel like while the koji steak had the wonderful beefy flavor beefed up by the koji (with the slight nutty/sweetness it imparts), it was not quite as unctuous as the standard ribeye.

I used these guys on a little brioche slider buns with homemade horseradish mayo, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. Made for a great little sandwich.
Do you make your own koji?

Kraftster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:42 pm

Nope. I just order the Koji Kin stuff from Amazon. Hasn't killed me yet, but I could be talked into making my own if I will see advantages?

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:44 pm

I don't really ever recall seeing Kraftster post ITT but damn son, that looks gr8

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Nope. I just order the Koji Kin stuff from Amazon. Hasn't killed me yet, but I could be talked into making my own if I will see advantages?
As with anything in the kitchen, making your own is a cost-benefit exercise. You can control the final product, but it is honestly a pretty time consuming and precise exercise to ensure a final result that's markedly better than store bought. I've done it once, and I'm not sure it was worth the effort. To be really certain, I'd have to do it again..... but I sorta don't wanna.

The time I did it, we had friends over and we made a giant batch and divided it up amongst us. It was fun as a communal thing, but I can imagine running solo would be turds.

Kraftster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:09 pm

As with anything in the kitchen, making your own is a cost-benefit exercise. You can control the final product, but it is honestly a pretty time consuming and precise exercise to ensure a final result that's markedly better than store bought. I've done it once, and I'm not sure it was worth the effort. To be really certain, I'd have to do it again..... but I sorta don't wanna.

The time I did it, we had friends over and we made a giant batch and divided it up amongst us. It was fun as a communal thing, but I can imagine running solo would be turds.
OK. That's kind of the impression I had talking with a friend that was outlining a potential plan to do his own. Since I see koji as a bit of a cheap shortcut to achieving some dry-aged flavor, I think I'd just buy dry aged before 100%ing the koji.

Have you kojified anything other than beef?

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:29 pm

I mean, you might enjoy it more than I did; I don't want to be a total killjoy. lol

Primarily I've actually used it most on pork; a couple times a year I buy an entire shoulder roast and cook it sous vide, then chill it down and portion it into 'steaks', which yields maybe a dozen individual servings, into the freezer with the portioned steaks, then apply koji marinade a day ahead of cooking as it thaws. I've also used it on loin chops/tender. It's also really good for chicken if you are cooking hot and fast.

For beef, I tend to favor cuts from low on the animal (skirt, hanger, flank, etc.), and the shops where I usually go have in-house dry aging programs. So when I cook red meat, I generally don't need to do anything to amp up the beefiness, and if I do I tend to prefer wet aging with a fish sauce mixture.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Ribeye in the Jacuzzi bath at 131 for ~3 hours. We're about 2.5-3 inches thick. Will be ready at 5:30pm

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:41 pm

Probably the best meal I've ever made.
Scallops seared off in Ghee
40oz ribeye. 3 hours at 131, 3 minute per side sear on my pellet grill.
Baby bella mushrooms sautéed in butter and OO, with a splash of teriyaki.
Serious eats Oven Roasted potatoes.

Delicious.

Bonus moscow mules in our new (7th anniversary) copper mugs.

Last edited by mac5155 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Cooking and Dining

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Drool

Lemon Berry Lobster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Made my Pap's spaghetti and meatballs yesterday at my grandma's. Made 72 total meatballs, roughly 4 oz each, in total and two large pots of sauce. He never really had a recipe, just make I to taste, I should probably get a general idea of how much of each ingredient I need :lol: