5AF Parenting Thread

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:43 am

dropped lil mac off today. Other than being confused, he didn't cry. Went to his teacher. I turned around and he was gone. So I hope he's doing ok. Kind of miss the lil man :cry: :oops:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:19 am

He's doing better than you are, I can almost guarantee. Kids are cool after like 13 seconds

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:20 am

My kid didn't even say goodbye to me when I dropped her off the first time. They took her temp at the door and boom, she was off. She didn't even care that I was standing there wanting a goodbye. :lol:

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:53 am

Your kids are closer to 2?

Mine is 16 months and it's tear factory every time we pull into the parking lot.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am

My kid didn't even say goodbye to me when I dropped her off the first time. They took her temp at the door and boom, she was off. She didn't even care that I was standing there wanting a goodbye. :lol:
she probably muttered "later nerd" and then scampered off

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Mine is 16 months and it's tear factory every time we pull into the parking lot.
Lil mac is 21 mo.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:52 pm

Mine is 26 months. So yeah. Closer to two. But even when she was younger she wanted nothing to do with me when I dropped her off. It'd be a "gtfo, dad. I wanna go play!"
she probably muttered "later nerd" and then scampered off
I believe I posted when we were gearing up to sending her back, she was bored out of her mind with my wife and I, so you're probably not wrong.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:07 pm

BTW they took both of our temps with an infrared thermometer. My temp was 96 degrees. :roll:

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:29 am

Mom dropped lil mac off today and he went full-on koala bear screaming and crying :lol:

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:14 pm

Prince Colby was moved to his big boy bed last night and we removed the bedtime binky. Ripped the band aid all at once. Took about an hour to get to sleep and only woke up once so that was a win.

Naptime right now is not quite as smooth. He's been screaming for 30 minutes and I'm not sure how he hasn't figured out that he can climb down.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm

Update PC is now laying down and periodically mixing in a whine-yell.

I'm starving but I have to walk past his room to get to the kitchen.

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Well I am so proud of my oldest son (he’s 6) right now. He just rode his bike without training wheels or help for the first time. We tried the traditional me holding the seat and him pedaling for something like a month and it wasn’t happening. He was frustrated and so was I. A quick search showed the method of removing the pedals and training wheels and having him use it as a balance bike. 4 days was all it took. He was balancing so well, coasting long distances, and able to make turns without putting his feet down. Put the pedals back on and boom. Due to him being able to balance and coast at slow speeds he was able to put it all together. So damn proud of him.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Well I am so proud of my oldest son (he’s 6) right now. He just rode his bike without training wheels or help for the first time. We tried the traditional me holding the seat and him pedaling for something like a month and it wasn’t happening. He was frustrated and so was I. A quick search showed the method of removing the pedals and training wheels and having him use it as a balance bike. 4 days was all it took. He was balancing so well, coasting long distances, and able to make turns without putting his feet down. Put the pedals back on and boom. Due to him being able to balance and coast at slow speeds he was able to put it all together. So damn proud of him.
Nice! mine has a balance bike and he absolutely loves it and is pretty good on it. Makes so much sense to learn the hard part first and then add pedaling. Hard to believe those weren't really a thing until recently

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:03 am

Thirded on the balance bike. Both my boys used them from age 2 on, and by 4 years old both were riding pedal bikes on their own. My youngest (still 4) is having issues with braking, but I'm guessing he'll figure it out by the end of the season.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:41 pm

Went for our weekly bike ride on a local paved trail since it is gorgeous outside. My daughter wanted to go further, but about 3/4 the way home started to struggle a little as she was getting tired. I checked the mileage when we got home - 7.6 total miles. That’s damn impressive.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Have any of yinz used Outschool at all during this pandemic? There are all kinds of cool little niche courses through Zoom that you can sign your children up for, for kids of all ages. Our daughter just started a Legend of Zelda themed art class which she's doing now. There are only two other kids so she is just sitting out on the deck coloring Zelda pictures and talking to the teacher about the games. Recommend checking it out.

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Anyone looked into advancing kids in school? I am tapped out on folks in my life to talk to about it, and I keep getting a mix of opinions.

My younger daughter will be 6 in mid-November. Obviously, last year, she missed the cutoff by 2.5 months to start public school kindergarten, but the daycare she's been in her whole life was fine having her in their accredited kindergarten program. So, she's a kindergarten graduate. Around the middle of the year, she did some sort of test, and based upon that test, she scored around a 2/3 of the way through 1st grade level. She has been much more academically inclined than my older daughter, who is in the opposite situation of being one of the youngest in her grade. She has done fine.

Under the circumstances, we are tempted to push her into 1st grade if the district will allow it. We just really don't want her to be totally bored in a complete retake of kindergarten--it's not about trying to advance her for the sake of it thing.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:18 pm

Will her current friends, which I'm assuming is a good bit of daycare, be in kindergarten next year?

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:20 pm

If she's testing well, move her up. The worst thing you can do for a child is put them in a situation that will bore them. (Obviously, this is just my opinion...)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:49 pm

One of the best aspects of homeschooling, imho.

When people ask what grade my kids are in we give them the rote age normal grade, but in reality my kids are all over the place. My one daughter is basically doing college-level English in 7th grade, while still struggling with 6th grade math, but at "grade level" in science with 9th grade history work.

The flexibility is awesome.

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Will her current friends, which I'm assuming is a good bit of daycare, be in kindergarten next year?
One thing that is not much of a factor, but something I do agree is worth considering. She'll be starting from scratch with friends either way, as most of the other kids in daycare will be in other elementaries within the district and those in our school building will be split between kindergarten and first grade.

Only two things really holdings us back. (1) word is the district is very against advancing. That wouldn't actually stop us--there's some good logical and legal arguments to be made that would carry the day, but we're not sure that's the best foot to get off on within the district for her. (2) she's very small. <10% in height and weight. Don't see that is too much a concern, but some folks I've talked to seem to think it's significant.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Taking the social aspect out of the equation makes it a little easier, albeit extremely tough, decision.

I don't have a kid this age so I might be suggesting something stupid, but have you asked her if she has a preference? I don't know if she'd understand, but worth a shot.

Does their accredited kindergarten carry any weight when going out to the district?

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Taking the social aspect out of the equation makes it a little easier, albeit extremely tough, decision.

I don't have a kid this age so I might be suggesting something stupid, but have you asked her if she has a preference? I don't know if she'd understand, but worth a shot.

Does their accredited kindergarten carry any weight when going out to the district?
Yes, it should. The easiest argument to the District is, this has nothing to do with her testing, its a simple matter of she passed kindergarten somewhere else, so she should be in first grade. If we were coming from a neighboring district that has a later age cutoff, they wouldn't think twice about her going into 1st. Granted, this is more than the week or two that would be the difference in a case like that, but it should be a pretty straight ahead position that she should be starting in 1st grade.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:05 pm

The height and weight thing could be a factor down the line, say if she wanted to play a sport it could hold her back and impact her self esteem.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Or she could hit a growth spurt around 10 years old too.

The fun side of parenting.