Police earning the hate

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:44 pm

Animal Control Officer Calls Cops on Man Recording her; Cops Show up, Tackle him
https://newsmaven.io/pinacnews/eye-on-g ... iFk1qsEMSA

Bisbee animal control officer on paid leave, investigation underway after public filming incident
https://www.myheraldreview.com/news/bis ... b515b.html

Every federal court that has addressed the question has held that filming public employees in public is not only legal, it is constitutionally protected under the First Amendment. There were no grounds for any arrest. And here's the stinger from the article:
Coleman confirmed that Luberto is on paid administrative leave, but said the three officers involved in the videographer's arrest are still on the job and are not being investigated.

When asked why the policemen's actions are not under investigation, Coleman paused before responding.

"Well that's an interesting question," she said. "I don't know why they're not under investigation. I'll have to ask Chief Long on Monday."

So it didn't even occur to anyone that the police who tackled and arrested a man who wasn't breaking the law in any way should be investigated for their actions.

shoeshine boy

Police earning the hate

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:35 pm

ATL police chief resigns after APD shoots a dude who was "sleeping" in the drive-thru line at Wendy's:https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/13/us/atlan ... index.html

they said he failed a field sobriety test so "sleeping" possibly means passed out. cops tried to arrest him and he resisted. ended up grabbing one of the cops' stun gun. cops ended up shooting him as he was running away.
protestors out on the streets tonight. they've already shut down the interstate.
I may not agree that this is on par with George Floyd but deadly force in this case was just stupid.
if I was the police chief I'd probably quit too. it's just not worth it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Police earning the hate

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:18 pm

They also set the Wendy's on fire.

(The protestors, not the cops)

shoeshine boy

Police earning the hate

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:33 pm

They also set the Wendy's on fire.

(The protestors, not the cops)
yeah, I'm like, congrats! you just put people from the community out of work for awhile! :scared:

shoeshine boy

Police earning the hate

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:39 pm

I had just submitted my post about this when I got a text from a friend who lives in Huntsville, "hey, we're on 75 Northbound at exit 244. is there a wreck or something (she knows I work for GDOT) because we're not moving and we're really low on gas. we need to get off at this exit at fuel up." uhhhh....no. protestors are blocking the interstate and they're rioting at that exit. DO NOT get off at University Ave to fuel up once it starts moving.
that was over an hour ago.

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:12 am

I had just submitted my post about this when I got a text from a friend who lives in Huntsville, "hey, we're on 75 Northbound at exit 244. is there a wreck or something (she knows I work for GDOT) because we're not moving and we're really low on gas. we need to get off at this exit at fuel up." uhhhh....no. protestors are blocking the interstate and they're rioting at that exit. DO NOT get off at University Ave to fuel up once it starts moving.
that was over an hour ago.
Damn man.... Yeah that's scary stuff.

shoeshine boy

Police earning the hate

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:43 pm

they were stuck there for 2 hours. eventually they were able to move on. they figured out that they could get 40 more miles on their gas. I wold them to fuel up about 20 miles North. everybody's safe. :)

tifosi77

Police earning the hate

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:09 pm

ATL police chief resigns after APD shoots a dude who was "sleeping" in the drive-thru line at Wendy's:https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/13/us/atlan ... index.html

they said he failed a field sobriety test so "sleeping" possibly means passed out. cops tried to arrest him and he resisted. ended up grabbing one of the cops' stun gun. cops ended up shooting him as he was running away.
protestors out on the streets tonight. they've already shut down the interstate.
I may not agree that this is on par with George Floyd but deadly force in this case was just stupid.
If this were a civilian-civilian shooting, I would not call this 'justified'. It should not be for police, either.

Just heard a guy on TV say that around 60% of ATL police shootings are of unarmed suspects. That's atrocious.

shoeshine boy

Police earning the hate

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 pm

If this were a civilian-civilian shooting, I would not call this 'justified'. It should not be for police, either.

Just heard a guy on TV say that around 60% of ATL police shootings are of unarmed suspects. That's atrocious.
I'm not saying that it's not true but I'd like something other than "some guy said". as I said in another thread though, I don't understand why they chased him since they knew who he was and he hadn't committed a violent crime. you can't say, especially after the cop was tasered that that taser gun was a dangerous weapon. I believe taser guns are single shot, correct? they knew who he was and had his car. other than poor training (and likely being on edge due to our current times) I can think of no reason to shoot this man.
earlier today my brother, a former cop, posted this on Facebook on a post the ATL newspaper put up:
For cops you take the use of force level up one as the person you are dealing with raises theirs. So
Tazer is top non lethal force level so if the cop is attacked with top non lethal force the perp is within officer safe zone 6-10 ft then perp (I think he meant "cop" here) took the use of force to the next level, deadly force
if that is how cops are trained, therein lies the issue.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:27 pm

W T absolute F

The bottom one

willeyeam

Police earning the hate

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Wtf

MrKennethTKangaroo

Police earning the hate

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55 pm

Those cops probably don’t see a single thing wrong with that series of events

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:17 am

That is completely F'ed.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:34 am

US death squads. I think we have to disarm the police. Rolling up with automatic weapons to respond to a homeless guy asleep at a bus stop. This is third world ****.

shafnutz05

Police earning the hate

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:41 am

US death squads. I think we have to disarm the police. Rolling up with automatic weapons to respond to a homeless guy asleep at a bus stop. This is third world ****.
I don't think disarming the police is the answer, although I agree they need to be demilitarized. Shyster's list from the other page are the most reasonable and actionable solutions imo.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:24 am

Obviously some level of weaponry is necessary. But I guess I see the "demilitarized" congruent with disarmament. The use of a hit squad in that video should never be deployed in a situation like that, and here's why we get into a debate around I guess "degree of a threat". What type of threat information that the officers are given when responding to a call justifies that level firepower?

Like the Tamir Rice thing, cops are told that a kid in the playground has a gun, turns out it was a bb gun, but the cops just roll up on the kid and blast away. I consider that a military tactic, on the same level as that insane video. So this is really peeling an onion to me, I of course agree with what Shyster posted in terms of accountability returning and removing the ugly incentives that cops currently have.

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am

But that homeless guy was white...

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:03 pm

The whole sleeping thing is so misleading. The dude was drunk and passed out. He failed the sobriety test and was to be arrested when he resisted.

That said, no way deadly force should have been used there. Especially if they knew he was already unarmed (I'm assuming they checked him).

But the headline "dude was shot for sleeping in his car" is extremely misleading.

shoeshine boy

Police earning the hate

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:12 pm

The whole sleeping thing is so misleading. The dude was drunk and passed out. He failed the sobriety test and was to be arrested when he resisted.

That said, no way deadly force should have been used there. Especially if they knew he was already unarmed (I'm assuming they checked him).

But the headline "dude was shot for sleeping in his car" is extremely misleading.
100% agree with you. it kind of drives me crazy when they say "sleeping". the dude was passed out drunk at 10:30 at night. I'm not sure I've ever been that hammered but it's shocking to watch him go from barely functional to an all out sprint.
I'd be interested to see the toxicology results but I doubt we ever will.

crusherstasiak

Police earning the hate

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:14 pm

But that homeless guy was white...
holy **** dude what the **** is wrong with you

tifosi77

Police earning the hate

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:07 pm

I'm not saying that it's not true but I'd like something other than "some guy said".
The only reason I characterized him as such is because I missed the accreditation in the intro to the interview block. But he wasn't just some rando shouting numbers into the ether on national television.

shoeshine boy

Police earning the hate

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:44 pm

I'm not saying that it's not true but I'd like something other than "some guy said".
The only reason I characterized him as such is because I missed the accreditation in the intro to the interview block. But he wasn't just some rando shouting numbers into the ether on national television.
makes sense. I'm a cold, hard proof kind of person. one of my friends on Facebook shared a post from somewhere that claims Rayshard Brooks is a child beater and drunk driver only out on parole because of COVID. I could find absolutely no evidence that any of that is true so I'm skeptical of random things on the interwebs.

tifosi77

Police earning the hate

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:10 pm

So these latest use-of-force incidents where cops have been fired outright within a day or so...... does that mean they have to foot the bill for their own defense, or since it happened when they were still on duty the police union will pay for legal representation?

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:48 pm

I can't remember which one (sad, right?) but the union told a group of them to go pound sand after they were fired.

Which, if you look at it cynically, means they were happy to collect their dues for years and years and when it came time to provide their service they made a financial decision and cut them loose.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:26 pm

Millions in lawsuit settlements are another hidden cost of police misconduct, legal experts say

https://abcnews.go.com/US/millions-laws ... d=70999540