Everything golf

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 am

dickie trying to fool us into thinking he has friends with the "multiple people" line
At Conley and Suncrest I rely on the 8 cart deep tee box wait to be my eyes and ears.

MWB

Everything golf

Postby MWB » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:44 am

Also had two holes in a row where I hit great shots, tracked them all the way, and somehow still lost the ball.
HATE, HATE, HATE when that happens! "but....it should be RIGHT HERE!" I blame squirrels.
Same. And I’m awful at depth perception, so I rely heavily on people I’m playing with to track my ball. Otherwise I’m in trouble.

MWB

Everything golf

Postby MWB » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:50 am

so I’ve been doing a weird deep dive into driver shaft length. I have an inconsistent slice (some times it sliced big, sometimes small, sometimes not at all) with my driver. I’ve been reading recently that a longer shaft makes it more difficult to hit the sweet spot in the driver and leads to shorter, wilder shots

I’m 5’5” so I’m betting my 45.5” driver (self measured, probably not correct) is probably too long for me anyway. Is it worth trying to get it shortened?

I’m guessing it won’t fix my slice but it might assuage it
I watched some videos that actually helped me fix my slice, at least for now. For me, taking a much shallower, sweeping back swing did the trick. My swing was more vertical, and at point of impact i was almost swinging out and away from body. This has me going straight through at impact. I’m hitting it straight or with a slight draw now.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 am

so I’ve been doing a weird deep dive into driver shaft length. I have an inconsistent slice (some times it sliced big, sometimes small, sometimes not at all) with my driver. I’ve been reading recently that a longer shaft makes it more difficult to hit the sweet spot in the driver and leads to shorter, wilder shots

I’m 5’5” so I’m betting my 45.5” driver (self measured, probably not correct) is probably too long for me anyway. Is it worth trying to get it shortened?

I’m guessing it won’t fix my slice but it might assuage it
Regardless of slice, your driver shaft is too long. Over the last couple decades the average on the shelf driver shaft length has gone from 43” to 45.5” because testing shows an inch of extra shaft length equals roughly 10 yards in distance. TaylorMade’s stock length is 45.75” just so they can eek out a couple more yards for advertising.

In comparison, the average driver shaft length on the tour is 44.75”. Rickie’s is 43.5” and he plays shortened fairway woods as well. Shorter shaft length will help with accuracy and consistency and you’ll probably see an increase in distance from hitting the sweet spot on a more consistent basis.

Edit: Out of curiosity, what type of driver do you use?
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:56 am

Will say though, swing tips may help in the short term, but getting fitted for the proper shaft will benefit you more in the long run.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:04 pm

From the severe outbreak last week. Just horrific. Please give if you can.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-pr ... erOe0ZdDb0
Justin Riegel, 38, was killed on Wednesday when a tree crashed into Philmont Country Club’s pro shop and cart barn following a thunderstorm. Riegel was helping bring in carts from the rain at the Philadelphia course when the accident happened.

"The storm blew in and everyone was rushing in, and before we knew it a tree fell," Philmont employee Kelli Patrick told 6ABC.com.

Riegel joined Philmont in 2019 as head pro, and was recently promoted to director of golf. According to the PGA Philadelphia website, Riegel previously worked at Aronimink G.C., Wilmington C.C. and Gulph Mills G.C as an assistant pro before earning his first PGA head professional position at French Creek G.C. In 2015, he was selected as the Section PGA Assistant Golf Professional of the Year.

Riegel’s girlfriend, Kate Hannon, is due to have the couple’s first child in two weeks. A GoFundMe site has been set up to assist Riegel’s family.

“Justin was one the most caring individuals you could ever come across. He was that guy who would call just to see how you’re doing and make sure everything was great in your life,” reads the site. “We’re raising funds to help Kate and the kids get through these awful times and to start a college fund for the kids. Please consider donating as much as you can, Justin would be the first one signing up to help anyone else out.”
Great response on the GoFundMe for the family--$293k already. Nice even seeing some golf companies get in the action:
TaylorMade Golf Company . donated $250
We were saddened to hear about Justin's passing. He touched the lives of so many people and will be forever missed. Our thoughts and prayers are with Kate, Justin's family, friends, membership and staff.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:38 am

I holed out from 100 yards in my Wednesday night league a couple days ago. They still have the pool noodles in the bottom of the cup so half the ball was showing, so I didn't realize it was in til I got to the green. Kinda anti climatic

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:33 pm

A little surprised to come in here and not see any mention of the play at Colonial. Are y'all not able to watch? You should be since the leaderboard looks better than some majors. The action this weekend is going to be ridiculously good.

But more importantly, our friend D.A. Points entered the Korn Ferry Tour event at Sawgrass....and missed the cut by a mile and 3/4. I passed by him today while out on the course (I get all the big assignments) and wondered what his score was and then looked and was like, um, ouch. Better luck next time!!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Everything golf

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:55 pm

Local product Harold Varner is hot.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:22 am

It's been fun to watch so far. The lack of crowds haven't really been a factor imo but might feel weird over the weekend. Great leaderboard. I was the only one to take Spieth in my one and done and Rahm was the most popular pick so I'm happy

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:03 am

I'm definitely going to be watching the weekend. Will be tough with inlaws here.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:05 am

Struggling mightily with the driver this year. I keep hitting behind the ball, I guess I'm not getting my hands all the way through or swinging up enough. Then when I hit it clean I slice the crap out of it.

Yesterday after 2 holes and 2 brutal drives I switched to a 4I off the tee... i don't care much about my scores right now but I can't get any better with my irons if I'm punching out all the time. I was finding my holes were: poor drive, punch/lay up to make up for it, inside 100 shot. So using the 4I yesterday helped me play a lot of 130-190 shots at the green and get more clubs involved.

And like all of you, there was one hole I hit a perfectly straight 200 yard 4 iron, tracked it all the way, and couldnt find the ball.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:31 am

200 yard 4 iron
I hate you. ;)

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:43 am

200 yard 4 iron
I hate you. ;)
Dude I gained 20 yards on every iron this year for absolutely no reason. It took 2 rounds of being over the green before I realized it. Also my 4 iron is the best club in my bag for some reason. Hit both my 4 and my 8 beautifully.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:11 pm

I'm sure that there are mostly 2 kinds of golfers in the world: golfers who hit straight and wish for more distance, and golfers who hit long and wish for more accuracy. I'm the former.
it kills me when I watch tourneys like TPC Sawgrass and see guys using their wedges on 17 to hit 132 yards onto the green. I realize it's because a) they're pros and b) they're dudes and I am neither but still......

MWB

Everything golf

Postby MWB » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:16 pm

200 yard 4 iron
I hate you. ;)
Dude I gained 20 yards on every iron this year for absolutely no reason. It took 2 rounds of being over the green before I realized it. Also my 4 iron is the best club in my bag for some reason. Hit both my 4 and my 8 beautifully.
I’ve found the exact same thing this year, actually. I think it’s because I’m finally striking the ball more consistently clean. And my 4 is my best. I’ve switched from my hybrid 3 to my 4 as my 190-200 club. So much more reliable.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:25 pm

I'm sure that there are mostly 2 kinds of golfers in the world: golfers who hit straight and wish for more distance, and golfers who hit long and wish for more accuracy. I'm the former.
it kills me when I watch tourneys like TPC Sawgrass and see guys using their wedges on 17 to hit 132 yards onto the green. I realize it's because a) they're pros and b) they're dudes and I am neither but still......
Oops sorry, didn't know you were female. I feel like i remember learning that a few years ago but I forgot a lot when I left for a few years.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:38 pm

200 yard 4 iron
I hate you. ;)
I’ve found the exact same thing this year, actually. I think it’s because I’m finally striking the ball more consistently clean. And my 4 is my best. I’ve switched from my hybrid 3 to my 4 as my 190-200 club. So much more reliable.
My 3 hybrid is easily my best club.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Oops sorry, didn't know you were female. I feel like i remember learning that a few years ago but I forgot a lot when I left for a few years.
LOL no worries! I knew it would be a logical assumption when I chose this username. I consider it kind of like hockey. guys on my team will yell things like, "let's go guys! oh, and girls." and I'll tell them, "no need. we're all 'guys' here." :D

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:16 am

Heading to the course this morning, then watching the final round later. What a leader board.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:28 am

I feel like with the latter, you have a high ceiling but also a lower floor. Yeah you can hit far which makes approach shots easier but you risk hitting it OB all the time

I wouldn’t say I’m a long hitter at all but I’d love if my shot was consistently straight. Youd at least be able to predict where it ends up even if it’s short

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:13 pm

That was an enjoyable Sunday of golf watching. Shitty way for Morikawa to lose the playoff though

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:50 am

200 yard 4 iron
I hate you. ;)
My 3 hybrid is easily my best club.
that's the way its been for me this year. A few rounds I've left the driver in the bag and just teed off with my hybrid.

I'll lose 30-50 yards off my drive, but I'll also not be 30-50 yards deep in the sticks.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:02 pm

speaking of 3 hybrid, I bought this guy a couple of months ago and despite teh terrible name of the brand, the club is great. It's very hard for me to have a bad shot with it: https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/tommy-armo ... tmchybrhyb

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:55 am

Cool article on the course I learned to play at.

https://www.pga.com/archive/pennsylvani ... ears?amp=1