Cooking and Dining

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 29, 2020 9:18 am

Yeah. The cool thing about those really old starters is they are likely (highly likely) absolutely nothing like what the original starter was like. Probably tastes way different due to the yeast mutations over time. Heck, even in brewing beer, you typically start to get some drift after 10 or so batches.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Cooking and Dining

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:13 pm

grill brush recommednations? i have one with bristles but we are looking to move away due to my wife seeing a number of patients that are coming in with grill brush bristles in their throat

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:16 pm

balled up piece of aluminum foil and tongs.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm

A wet paper towel and tongs while the grates are warm does wonders also.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Yeah, whatever your method the best practice is to do it while the grates are hot. Be it after cooking, or before your next cook following a good pre-heat.

I've used the ones that have a built-in water reservoir to wet the grates as you go, and the ones that are just plain wire bristles. Both work. The important bit is the grates should be hot.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Cooking and Dining

Postby meow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:39 am

balled up piece of aluminum foil and tongs.
I do this. Works great

blackjack68

Cooking and Dining

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Are Misen pans a thing? Lots of ads on Facebook for them. Are they good?

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:31 pm

Are Misen pans a thing? Lots of ads on Facebook for them. Are they good?
Non stick pans (aside from well seasoned cast iron) should be considered disposable imo. Buy not the cheapest one at Walmart and you’re gonna have a good time for about a year. Repeat. Go spend a ton of money on a nonstick, it’s still gonna start sticking in a year or so with heavy use.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Misen is a direct-to-consumer company that started out making knives and branched out into cookware. I use the knives as my daily tools; I have never considered buying any of their pots and pans. Conversely, Made*in is a DTC company that started out making cookware and branched out into cutlery; I have a kitchen full of their pots and pans, but I'll never get one of their knives.

I would also add that if your non-sticks pans are crapping out in a year, you are doing something wrong.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:51 pm

Instacart users I got a notification yesterday for 15 bucks off but now can't find it in my app. Did it likely expire that day or am I missing it?

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:18 pm

A year might be hyperbolic, but the point still stands. They're disposable in my mind. Not something you buy for life or even 5 years.

On a side note... made my first sourdough loaf over the weekend. chefkiss.wav
Currently have some sourdough pizza dough rising on the counter, ready for some pizza action tonight. Looking forward to it.

robbiestoupe

Cooking and Dining

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 pm

A year might be hyperbolic, but the point still stands. They're disposable in my mind. Not something you buy for life or even 5 years.

On a side note... made my first sourdough loaf over the weekend. chefkiss.wav
Currently have some sourdough pizza dough rising on the counter, ready for some pizza action tonight. Looking forward to it.
I may have missed it, but what kind of flour did you use? Standard King Arthur flour or homestead quality shiz?

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:51 pm

For the starter? It's stone ground rye from a "local" grist mill (I think closer to Harrisburg than State College) along with unbleached AP flour. Then the dough is just King Arthur bread flour.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:43 am

Apparently the Bon Appetit YouTube empire that I’ve enjoyed so much went into meltdown mode on Monday.

https://www.thewrap.com/bon-appetit-ada ... brownface/

https://www.businessinsider.com/bon-app ... ure-2020-6
Ryan Walker-Hartshorn, who worked as Rapoport's assistant for the past two years and nine months... whose annual base salary is $35,300 before overtime, had not received a pay increase in her tenure as Rapoport's assistant.
Walker-Hartshorn went to Condé Nast's HR department in April of 2019 and March of 2020. She requested both times for Rapoport, her direct boss, to limit his texts to her on the weekend and the amount of personal errands he required her to execute — most of which were outside of her job description. In the second meeting, according to Walker-Hartshorn, HR instructed Rapoport to stop texting her on the weekend. He continued to do so. (Condé Nast did not provide comment on this.)
Following Rapoport's resignation, Walker-Hartshorn is still processing what it was like to work for him. One memory sticks out from early on in her tenure at Bon Appétit, when she asked Rapoport how he wanted his coffee before a run at Joe and the Juice.

He stared at her for what felt like forever, Walker-Hartshorn said. Then, he declared: "I don't know, like Rihanna."
What an absolute Canaan.

robbiestoupe

Cooking and Dining

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:26 am

For the starter? It's stone ground rye from a "local" grist mill (I think closer to Harrisburg than State College) along with unbleached AP flour. Then the dough is just King Arthur bread flour.
Yeah, the starter. I've been intending on making a starter (I let my old starter starve) but only have King Arthur right now. Need to find a decent local grist mill.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:10 pm

Apparently the Bon Appetit YouTube empire that I’ve enjoyed so much went into meltdown mode on Monday.
Only like 3 or 4 of the Test Kitchen hosts are paid for their video appearances. Brad, Claire, Chris.....they have their own 'shows' on the channel that seems to be their primary job with the magazine, so that make sense to me. Carla, Molly, Andy B., Christina, Priya, Gaby (my favorite), Solha, Amiel.....they seem to do videos as part of their larger food editor jobs, not the focus of their jobs. Does that make sense? I think five years ago you can get away with not compensating those people extra for video appearances. That said, 6 million subs and a quarter million in monthly ad revenue changes that equation a bit, especially because, let's face it, we watch those videos for the presenters, not the recipes (generally).

I did notice that they seemed to go on a 'diversity hire' spree over the last 12-18 months or so.

That said, I never liked Rapoport, and any ill that can befall Delaney is welcome. (I also don't like Amiel, so fingers crossed that he's done some sketchy stuff too)

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Only like 3 or 4 of the Test Kitchen hosts are paid for their video appearances. Brad, Claire, Chris.....they have their own 'shows' on the channel that seems to be their primary job with the magazine, so that make sense to me. Carla, Molly, Andy B., Christina, Priya, Gaby (my favorite), Solha, Amiel.....they seem to do videos as part of their larger food editor jobs, not the focus of their jobs. Does that make sense? I think five years ago you can get away with not compensating those people extra for video appearances. That said, 6 million subs and a quarter million in monthly ad revenue changes that equation a bit, especially because, let's face it, we watch those videos for the presenters, not the recipes (generally).

I did notice that they seemed to go on a 'diversity hire' spree over the last 12-18 months or so.

That said, I never liked Rapoport, and any ill that can befall Delaney is welcome. (I also don't like Amiel, so fingers crossed that he's done some sketchy stuff too)
Rapoport always seemed like a massive ******. Seems to be a theme for that profession and industry. Claire disappeared a while back because the workload of magazine and YouTube was too much. She came back as a freelancer for YouTube only and apparently her contract was up on 6/1 and she told them not to use anything with her that's unaired or unfinished. I've seen more of the minority editors speaking out this week (Christina today for one) and some other former staff members throwing people under the bus (Carla is apparently a dodint).

As far as the two you mentioned, Delaney always seemed like a reformed ****** with no purpose and Amiel always struck me as just a weird dude. Based on their at-home quarantine videos I'm pretty sure he lives in hell.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:13 pm

I'd be bummed if Carla turned out to be trash fish; I like her a lot, and I've probably cooked more of her recipes than anyone else from the TK. (Aside from that glorious gochujang slow roasted chicken from Molly B, which I would cook and eat every day for a month and probably miss it by the first Wednesday of the next month)

Claire was working on a cookbook, too, so I'm sure that's a lot of plates to keep spinning.

So far, the revelation of quarantine has been how much more I like Solha compared to previously. It doesn't hurt that she has cool doggos.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Cooking and Dining

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 am

Tried to make a curry soup this morning. Not a total disaster but too sour. That being said it feels good to try something different

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:13 am

Getting our weekly farm share, and cooking more and more vegetables. Last night I made a sweet potato, black bean, chard hash seasoned with cumin and chili powder. I put a couple fried eggs over it, wife put it in tortillas and ate it like a taco.... so good. I think if I had to be a vegetarian, I could.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:14 am

That sounds delicious.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:15 am

Last night we did shrimp, steak, and zucchini. It's amazing how much better you feel after eating a meal with no carbs. I should really start to do no carb days like my wife does.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Cooking and Dining

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:16 am

I know next to nothing about this and have always bought the $50 cheapo from Walmart to make hamburgers, etc...

I'm in the market for a next-step-up grill (charcoal preferably) top end price would be $250.00.

Any ideas?

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:37 am

I love my pellet grill. It's a traeger knock off from Sam's club. I think it was 250.

Do you have Rural Kong stores around you? They had some nice grills.

Charcoal grills, I'd go with a CharGriller.

MWB

Cooking and Dining

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:42 am

I know next to nothing about this and have always bought the $50 cheapo from Walmart to make hamburgers, etc...

I'm in the market for a next-step-up grill (charcoal preferably) top end price would be $250.00.

Any ideas?
I’ve had my Weber kettle grill for about 15 years and would definitely recommend.