home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:59 am

this may be a stupid question but hdmi ports arent a thing anymore?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:02 am

this may be a stupid question but hdmi ports arent a thing anymore?
Not really. USB-C is the new hotness, with DisplayPort a close second.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:10 am

I hate DisplayPort but my GTX 1080 has at least two of them.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:12 am

What's wrong with DP? I don't care one way or the other, mind you. My box is still running on DVI.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 am

so if i wanted to connect to a TV or somethign i would use the USB C? is there some sort of adapter i would need then?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:24 am

I have about 1000 HDMI cables laying around but never the right DisplayPort cable, mostly. ;)

My monitors are old enough that they don't have DP ports, so I have a bunch of DP to HDMI cables now.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 am

so if i wanted to connect to a TV or somethign i would use the USB C? is there some sort of adapter i would need then?
Yes, you'd just need something like this:

BTW, if you do want to go the Dell route, let me know. A 15% off coupon just showed up in my mailbox that I won't use, and it's yours if you want it. Drops the price down to $1105 before taxes.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:27 am

I have about 1000 HDMI cables laying around but never the right DisplayPort cable, mostly. ;)

My monitors are old enough that they don't have DP ports, so I have a bunch of DP to HDMI cables now.
Ahh, that makes sense then. My GTX 750ti has DVI and HDMI, but my Dell monitor only has DVI and VGA, so I've resisted upgrading.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am

got an amazon gift card, I'd like to spend it on something I wasn't really planning on buying so it feels like more of a gift. What's a gadget that 5af loves that I should buy under $150?

LITT

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:36 am

Yes, you'd just need something like this:

BTW, if you do want to go the Dell route, let me know. A 15% off coupon just showed up in my mailbox that I won't use, and it's yours if you want it. Drops the price down to $1105 before taxes.
i was reading a few things on reddit about processors and they said that if ends in U that is a bad thing. is that something to be worried about with the xps13?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:37 am

DP supports native high refresh rates, even with older versions. I struggled with an older GPU with an older HDMI version that wouldn’t support my 144hz refresh rate on my monitor. Google said HDMI supports it, but I had difficulty finding which HDMI my R9 390 had...it was the older version, naturally. 5700XT supports it though...and I can’t play on 60hz any longer. :lol: Gouges my middle aged eyes right out... :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 am

Source of the post i was reading a few things on reddit about processors and they said that if ends in U that is a bad thing. is that something to be worried about with the xps13?
Don't listen to anyone who makes a blanket statement like that. The U series is designed for ultra lower power consumption, which is what you want in a laptop. That CPU in the XPS 13 is the latest generation, 6-core CPU. It's going to fare very well against many other mobile CPUs. The Lenovo you were looking at is very much underpowered when comparing the two.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:53 am

got an amazon gift card, I'd like to spend it on something I wasn't really planning on buying so it feels like more of a gift. What's a gadget that 5af loves that I should buy under $150?
Fun question. I'd use it to buy the 60V string trimmer I've had my eye on. :lol:

$150 isn't enough for a recast, and it's too much for a FireTV.
You can get what looks to be a nice smart thermostat for that price, I think NTP66 is well read into those.
If you don't have an e-reader that is the exact price of an ad-free Kindle Paperwhite.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 am

I love my ecobee 4, and would recommend it to anyone.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:55 am

My Nest sucks so that's not a bad idea

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:03 am

Here's ecobee's comparison page. I have the 4, but if you don't want/need Alexa controls, the 3 Lite is basically the same. I have three room sensors and will likely buy a few more in the future. That may factor into the cost, as well.

LITT

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:11 am

Source of the post i was reading a few things on reddit about processors and they said that if ends in U that is a bad thing. is that something to be worried about with the xps13?
Don't listen to anyone who makes a blanket statement like that. The U series is designed for ultra lower power consumption, which is what you want in a laptop. That CPU in the XPS 13 is the latest generation, 6-core CPU. It's going to fare very well against many other mobile CPUs. The Lenovo you were looking at is very much underpowered when comparing the two.
thank you for your service. :thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 am

Not a problem at all. Good luck, and sent you a PM.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:45 pm

I've been renting 4k hdr movies through Vudu most of the time. Does anyone know if Vudu, Google play or Amazon has better quality over another?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:11 am

HBOMax launches May 27th.

I’m assuming all of the HBO content will disappear from Amazon around that time as well. West Wing will be leaving Netflix around then.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:48 am

HBOMax launches May 27th.

I’m assuming all of the HBO content will disappear from Amazon around that time as well. West Wing will be leaving Netflix around then.
Has there been any word on discounts for HBO or AT&T or DirecTV subscribers?

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Have they shown in detail what's going to be on there for launch

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:24 pm

2 questions:

1. Any way to get AT&T sports pittsburgh without cable yet?
2. Looking for a sound bar, preferably one <$100 for our living room. The surround sound will be going into the new basement, and the TV going into the livingroom doesn't have very good audio. Figure a sound bar is the easiest thing to do.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:32 pm

Have they shown in detail what's going to be on there for launch
This is from Variety:
WarnerMedia has set the start date for HBO Max: It’s slated to barrel into the streaming wars on May 27.

The subscription-streaming package, with some 10,000 hours of content out of the gate, will debut May 27 in the U.S., priced at $14.99 monthly (the same as HBO Now). WarnerMedia announced the launch date Tuesday after earlier running online ads with the info.

HBO Max — with the tagline “Where HBO meets so much more” — will include all the programming from HBO; a slate of new original series; third-party licensed content like “Friends,” “The Big Bang Theory,” “South Park” and all Studio Ghibli films; and movies from Warner Bros., New Line and DC like “Joker,” “Suicide Squad,” “Wonder Woman,” “The Matrix,” “Casablanca” and “The Wizard of Oz.” In addition, HBO Max will be stocked with content from other WarnerMedia brands including CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth and Looney Tunes.

Originals on HBO Max set to be available starting May 27 include scripted comedy “Love Life” starring Anna Kendrick, from Lionsgate Television and Paul Feig’s Feigco Entertainment; documentary film “On the Record” about accusations of sexual harassment and rape against hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons; “Legendary,” an underground ballroom dance competition series; “Craftopia,” hosted by YouTube star LaurDIY; an all-new “Looney Tunes Cartoons” from Warner Bros. Animation; and Sesame Workshop’s “The Not Too Late Show with Elmo.”

The COVID-19 crisis has delayed some HBO Max originals: For example, a “Friends” reunion special with the cast of the favorite ’90s-era sitcom will not be available at launch as originally planned.

HBO Now subscribers who are billed directly through HBO will get access to HBO Max at launch for no extra cost. In addition, HBO subscribers via one of AT&T’s TV services as well as Charter Communications will be automatically upgraded to HBO Max.
Dave Itzkoff, of the NY Times, was posting new Bugs Bunny Looney Tunes...with bugs using a smartphone. That's not...right? :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Source of the post HBO subscribers via one of AT&T’s TV services as well as Charter Communications will be automatically upgraded to HBO Max.
Now that's what I was looking for. This better include those of us who get it for free due to having unlimited AT&T and DirecTV.