eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Damnit, outta free reads, please post

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Damnit, outta free reads, please post
Formatting is a mess because there are several bullet points listed at the side of the actual article but hopefully you can muddle through.
In the more than 50 years since his first feature film, the director Werner Herzog has come to seem more and more like one of the existentially inclined dreamers who populate his work. Those adventurous and often ontologically fuzzy works include art-house classics like “Fitzcarraldo” and “Aguirre, the Wrath of God,” as well as highly stylized documentaries like “Grizzly Man,” “Cave of Forgotten Dreams” and his latest, “Nomad: In the Footsteps of Bruce Chatwin,” about the late travel writer. Herzog, who is 77, has also developed into a compellingly portentous on-screen acting presence, including as a villain in the Disney+ “Star Wars” spinoff series “The Mandalorian” — the latest twist in a career gloriously lacking in the mundane. “How do we give meaning to our lives?” Herzog said. “That question has been lingering over my work and life. That’s what I’ve been pursuing for a very long time.”

A lot of your films deal with apocalyptic themes and imagery. At the risk of overstating things, what effect might something like coronavirus have on your — and our — imagination? That’s a good question. We may see another Boccaccio’s “The Decameron” — it’s the time of the plague in Florence, and everybody flees to the countryside into exile, and then the storytelling begins. So you may have the origin of imagination or culture. But I can’t predict how I’m going to respond to coronavirus. Everybody, in a way, will have to respond.

Are you anxious about it? No. It’s a question of discipline. You just anticipate what might come at you and be prepared even for, let’s say, a quarantine of the Hollywood Hills, where I live. You need to be prepared and logical and professional.

Your narration, in “Grizzly Man”1
A 2005 documentary about the doomed, naïve environmental activist Timothy Treadwell.
for example, is famous for your descriptions of nature as impersonal and savage. The monumental indifference.

Why are you inclined to interpret nature that way rather than, say, in the more cosmically harmonious manner of the Dalai Lama? You interviewed him for one of your documentaries.2
‘‘Wheel of Time’’ (2003), about Tibetan Buddhism
I advise you to go outside on a clear night and look out into the universe. It seems utterly indifferent to what we are doing. Now we are taking a very close look at the sun with a space probe. Look at the utmost hostility of the hundreds of millions of atomic bombs going off at the same time in its interior. So my personal interpretation of nature comes from taking a quick look at the stars.

How do you derive meaning from life if life is indifferent? Life is not indifferent. The universe is indifferent. But just trying, itself, is something I should do.

Klaus Kinski in “Aguirre, The Wrath of God” in 1972. Everett Collection
It always seemed so weird to me that you live in Los Angeles. You’re someone who believes in the almost spiritual importance of traveling on foot, and this is a city where no one walks. But that would be strolling or ambling. I’ve never been into that. I see how you are looking at me.

How am I looking at you? With bemused skepticism.

I didn’t mean to convey skepticism. You’ve talked in the past about your desire for your documentaries to convey ecstatic truth3
Herzog’s documentaries unabashedly and movingly feature invented scenes and dialogue.
— or deeper truth — rather than what you’ve called “the truth of accountants.” Does anything about the need for ecstatic truth feel different now, at a time when even factual truth feels destabilized? I’ll make it very simple. My witness is Michelangelo, who did the statue of the Pietà. When you look at Jesus taken down from the cross, it’s the tormented face of a 33-year-old man. You look at the face of his mother: His mother is 17. So let me ask: Did Michelangelo give us fake news? Defraud us? Lie to us? I’m doing exactly the same. You have to know the context in which you become inventive.

Does ecstatic truth have any connection to morality? Invented truth or facts can serve a dubious purpose. What I do serves a purpose, and that is to elate us, to lift us up, to give us a sense of something sublime. Ekstasis in ancient Greek means to step outside yourself. All of a sudden, we have a glimpse of something deeper that might be behind the images. Something like an ecstasy of truth.

When I was in touch with you about doing this interview, you said you’ve had issues with articles about you being inaccurate. Do you remember that? Yeah, sure. Inaccuracy always happens.

Werner Herzog on the set of “Fitzcarraldo” in 1981. Jean-Louis Atlan/Sygma, via Getty Images
What if those inaccuracies were a result of the writers’ trying to achieve an ecstatic truth? In that case, go ahead. You’ve got my blessings. I have explained the purpose behind ecstatic truth, but you are free. Just go wild. Swing wildly.

Did you ever find out who shot you?4
During an interview with the BBC in 2006, Herzog was shot by an unknown assailant with an air rifle. His response to the wound was a classic of resigned stoicism: ‘‘It’s not significant.’’
I was shot at various times. You mean here in Los Angeles?

Yes. No, I wasn’t interested.

When you pulled Joaquin Phoenix from a car accident5
The actor described the 2006 incident: “I said to myself, ‘That's Werner Herzog!’ There's something so calming and beautiful about Werner Herzog's voice. I felt completely fine and safe. I climbed out.”
, did you know it was him? Yes, although he was upside down in this car, squished between airbags that had deployed and wildly trying to light a cigarette.

That could be an image from one of your films. I knew he must not light his cigarette, because there was gasoline dripping and he would have perished in a fireball. So I tried to be clearly commandeering to him and tell him not to. But I was worried that if you gave him a command, he would strike his lighter even harder. So I managed to snatch the cigarette lighter from his hand. Then it became completely clear that it was Joaquin. But I didn’t want to speak to him after. I saw he wanted to come over and thank me. I just drove off.

When have you used butyric acid6
A foul-smelling chemical. In an interview in “Werner Herzog: A Guide for the Perplexed,” Herzog says, “A certain amount of criminal energy can be useful,” adding, “My weapon of choice is butyric acid.”
on someone? Not on someone. On a building. I won’t tell you any more details because it was a big event.

I’m sure the statute of limitations has passed. No, I can’t tell you. But may I say something about this acid? Dry chemistry books, 800 pages thick, become lyrical when it comes to butyric acid. “Inextinguishable” and “pungent” and “intolerable.” I advise you to sniff butyric acid. You’ll know why it makes the chemists lyrical.

You’ve made 60-something films. Over 70. But let’s not be pedantic.

Herzog with Claudia Cardinale and Klaus Kinski on the set of ‘‘Fitzcarraldo.’’ New World Pictures/Photofest.
It’s a lot of films, and so many of them involve adventures — filming in the jungle, at the edge of a volcano, in Antarctica, with Klaus Kinski.7
Herzog had a legendarily combative, yet creatively fruitful, relationship with the volatile actor, who starred in five of his films.
These aren’t easy films to shoot or finance, yet you keep finding ways to turn these dreams of yours into reality. Is your ability to do that a matter of will? No, no, no. In many cases, I have not invited the films that I’m doing: They manifested themselves. “Aguirre, the Wrath of God” — after reading 15 lines from a book for 12-years-old boys, I started writing in a fever while I was on a bus with my soccer team, who were all drunk. I could see the entire film. I’ve hardly ever written longer than five days on a screenplay because of the vehemence with which these projects come at me.

Do you ever think about Klaus Kinski? Not very often. I don’t really miss him. But we have done important work. May I add something? Just recently I was attacked: “You have worked with a man who violated his daughter.”8
In 2013, Kinski’s daughter Pola accused the actor, who died in 1991, of sexual abuse, including rape.
I am speaking of Kinski. At the time we worked together, I had no clue. But — not in defense of Kinski — I’m asking myself a deeper cultural question. Do we have to take all Caravaggio paintings out of churches and museums because Caravaggio was a murderer? Do we have to dismiss the Old Testament because the prophet Moses committed manslaughter as a young man?

So the question is about whether we can absolve — No. We do not absolve. We have to bear it in consideration. There is baggage which is never going to go away. I don’t have a real answer for how to deal with it. I cannot teach anyone anything anyway.

Timothy Treadwell in‘‘Grizzly Man,’’ 2005. Lionsgate/Everett Collection
Is part of the reason you take acting jobs to help finance your films? It’s not so much for earning money. I do it for the joy of it.

So it’s for fun? Deep joy. Fun is superficial.

You’ve acted in some big pop-culture projects like “Jack Reacher”9
Herzog co-starred as the villain in this 2012 action film.
and “The Mandalorian,”10
Herzog played an ominous figure who hires the title character to hunt down a creature that looks like a baby Yoda.
but you basically rarely intersect with the mainstream. How do you see your relationship to Hollywood? I enjoy being marginally involved. Just a few days ago, I did some voice recording for a “Simpsons” episode, and I did it in such a wild way. So wild that the director and some people who sat with me in the room burst out laughing before I ended my line. I had to be relegated into the control room, because twice in a row they started laughing. I said, “Gentlemen, I have not even finished my line yet.” In a way, “The Simpsons” is a bold intellectual design.

In what way? Let’s not analyze it.

Here’s what I was really getting at: You’ve previously expressed a belief that culture needs fresh images to feed our imaginations. Almost by design, projects like “Jack Reacher” or “The Mandalorian” involve recycled imagery. Do you feel at all conflicted about working on them? I don’t have to reconcile anything. I love everything that has to do with cinema, and that means writing a screenplay or directing, editing, acting. I love it and, by the way, when doing “Jack Reacher,” I knew I would bring a specific quality for spreading fear among the audience. That was my quest. I wanted to spread fear. My character was blind in one eye with no fingers left on his hands and no weapon. It was only me and my voice, and I really did scare audiences. And I was paid for it handsomely.

Were you familiar with Tom Cruise’s work before doing that movie? Not very much. It struck me to see the relentless professionalism with which he worked. I wish I would never have a life like him. He would have his nutritionist on the set and nibble a few things every two hours. A very precisely balanced sort of diet — and working out physically. Not a life that I would like to live.

So much of your work is rooted in the idea of pilgrimage. Why is that important to you? My work has always had a deeper quest behind it. I have traveled on foot from Munich to Paris because Lotte Eisner,11
A German film critic. Herzog's journey from Munich to Paris is the subject of his 1978 book, “Of Walking in Ice.”
my mentor, was critically ill, and I did not want her to die. I did not want to allow her to depart. I have traveled around Germany, always following the border. I wanted to hold the country together. It was before the reunification, at a time when many Germans were vehemently against it. I had huge problems with Günter Grass, the writer, who was vehemently against reunification. I loathed him with all my heart. Later it became evident that he was a Nazi or a Hitler Youth12
In 1999, the Nobel Prize-winning novelist revealed his past Nazi affiliation. “I belonged to the Hitler Youth, and I believed in its aims up to the end of the war,” Grass said in 2000. In 2006, he admitted that he had been drafted by the SS.
or whatever. It didn’t come as a full surprise to me.

Herzog with Christian Bale, left, and Steve Zahn on the set of “Rescue Dawn” in 2006. MGM/Everett Collection
It wouldn’t be crazy for someone to look at a person who believes his walking can prevent somebody else’s death and unify Germany and say that person is a megalomaniac. Ultimately, they are great gestures. They are gestures of the soul, and they give meaning to my existence. Nobody knew I was traveling to Lotte Eisner. Nobody knew I was traveling around Germany. I said only the poets, our common culture, will hold us together, and I have to do this. It has no connection with megalomania. It would be an utterly false assessment of why I do things like that. I’m not into the business of egomania. I mean, I really am NOT. You better spell that in capital letters.

Did your gestures of the soul have practical effects? A very conditional yes. Lotte Eisner was out of hospital when I arrived, and she lived another eight years, until she summoned me. That time I came by train. She said: “There’s still a spell upon me that I must not die. Can you lift it?” And I said: “Of course, Lotte. If you die now, it seems to be all right.” She was 87. She was almost blind. Could not read, could not watch cinema — the two joys of her life. She said something very biblical. She said, “I am saturated with life.” And I said to her, “Lotte, hereby the spell is lifted.” She died eight days later, and I had absolutely no problem with it. It was a good death.

But to go back again to the need for fresh images: In “A Guide for the Perplexed,”13
A fascinating book of interviews with Herzog, conducted by the writer Paul Cronin.
you say that our children will be upset with us for not having thrown hand grenades into television stations. I took that to be a criticism of the poverty of television’s visual imagination. Are Hollywood movies much better? Hollywood, of course, is undergoing a massive shift. There are new forms of passing your films onto audiences and new expectations and new behavior and patterns of audiences. Everything is in great turmoil, and the dust hasn’t settled yet. But we should not underestimate how we can reach, with our films, to a village in Kenya. It’s phenomenal and strange. You’re sitting in front of a man who is unique. I’m unique in world history. My generation. Not just me. I grew up14
Herzog was raised in Sachrang, a remote Bavarian village.
with pre-industrialized agriculture, with hay being turned around with forks and then hoisted up onto horse-drawn carts. Then I have seen gigantic harvesters, and they have three computer screens inside, and it goes by GPS. And I have seen — may I go wild?

Yes, please. I have witnessed, as a child, the town crier with a bell coming up the street and shouting: “Announcement! Announcement! If you want to have subsidies for your new septic tank, opening hours will be then and then.” I am coming from a pre-industrialized town crier to today’s world. There’s no one like my generation.

Are you unique in any other ways? There are no other men like me. I’m quoting from a film of Les Blank.15
The American documentarian who directed, among other films, “Burden of Dreams,” about the infamously onerous making of Herzog's “Fitzcarraldo.” Here, Herzog is referring to a line uttered by the blues singer Mance Lipscomb in Blank's “A Well Spent Life.” The line goes: “I tell you, you all won’t find another man like me.”

Herzog with Nicholas Conard in “Cave of Forgotten Dreams” in 2010. Mark Valesella/IFC Films, via Everett Collection
Is it a coincidence that over time you’ve become a much more visible presence in your documentaries? In early films like “Land of Silence and Darkness,” you don’t even do the voice-over narration, which is now such a trademark of yours. I was present also in “Land of Silence and Darkness,” but more imperceptibly by writing, for example, a caption: “If a world war would break out now, I wouldn’t even notice it.” That caption is attributed to the leading character, who is deaf and blind. I interfered. But becoming more visible has been an evolution. I can’t pinpoint why and how it started. I seem totally comfortable with it because it has to do with my joy of cinema.

Whether you’re consciously participating in its creation or not, it’s indisputable that there’s a comically dour “Werner Herzog” persona out there. Is there any way in which having a publicly identifiable persona is valuable? I live parallel existences out in the internet that are completely and utterly fictitious. Since I have worked in an unusual way and have lived in a kind of unusual way, of course the world reacts by attributing a certain persona to me. I can live with it. I know who I am. That’s enough.

Who are you? To find out, you’d have to spend the next five years here with me.

Do you ever have doubt? No.

Not about anything? Not about films and not about my writing and not about the things that I do.

Herzog in ‘‘The Mandalorian.’’ Disney+/Lucasfilm/Everett Collection
What about baby Yoda? Did you think baby Yoda was cute? No, not cute. It was a phenomenal achievement of sculpting mechanically. When I saw this, it was so convincing, it was so unique. And then the producers talked about, Shouldn’t we have a fallback version with green screen and have it be completely digitally created? I said to them: It would be cowardly. You are the trailblazers. Show the world what you can do.

So baby Yoda wasn’t cute? Not cute. It’s heartbreaking. My wife16
The visual artist and photographer Lena Herzog.
has seen companion robots that are being created: a fluffy creature with big eyes talking to you, reading your facial expressions, putting its head to the side and asking you, “Oh, you don’t trust me?” There’s big stuff coming at us in terms of robotics.

Is anything cute to you? Have you ever seen a dog and thought, That’s a cute dog? No. I would assign a dog a different word.

Do you see yourself as having peers in cinema? Do you look at Coppola, Scorsese — No, no. They’re all different, so they are not peers. There are some. I would say Kurosawa doing “Rashomon.”

Francis Ford Coppola shows up a couple of times in “Conquest of the Useless.”17
Herzog's journal about the making of “Fitzcarraldo,” published in English in 2009.
Not in a particularly flattering light. I like Coppola. I had a problem when he was in the culture of complaint: “The industry’s so stupid; they don’t give me money for filming a great dream I had.” It’s nonsense. He could make five feature films per year with the money he earns at his winery. But that’s the only thing. He has been kind to me.

I have to say, I like a lot of your films very much, but I think the most inspiring thing about you and your work is your ability to keep envisioning these fantastical projects and then actually make them. Is there any advice you can give about how to do that? Do the doable. I do only the doable, including moving a ship over a mountain.18
Which, of course, is a central plot point in ‘‘Fitzcarraldo’’ (1982). Herzog and his crew figured out a way to drag a ship over a jungle mountain, though at a cost — multiple crew members were seriously injured.
But I’ve had very difficult shoots, and nobody knows about it. Much more difficult than “Fitzcarraldo.” Like “Fata Morgana.”19
Herzog’s 1971 film consists mostly of a series of images of the African desert. He has described how he and the crew were imprisoned during filming as a result of mistaken identity. He also contracted the parasitic disease bilharzia.
I think it’s a very irrelevant criterion for Herzog to be, for example, the first barefoot runner on Mount Everest. I won’t be, because that would be stupid. But moving a ship over a mountain is not stupid. It’s a big, big, big metaphor, although I don’t know for what. I know it’s a memory that has been dormant inside many of us.

It’s a collective dream that was manifested? Yes, and I’m the one who articulated it.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Can this man and that bear get along? Spoiler alert: They don't!

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Much thanks

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm

I enjoyed Toy Story 4.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:52 pm

I enjoyed Toy Story 4.
I thought I cried during Toy Story 3, but the end of Toy Story 4 was just cruel and unusual punishment. My wife and I crying actually made our daughter cry :lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:58 pm

The whole Gabby storyline made me die inside.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:40 pm

I enjoyed Toy Story 4.
I thought I cried during Toy Story 3, but the end of Toy Story 4 was just cruel and unusual punishment. My wife and I crying actually made our daughter cry :lol:
Yep, nope. Not gonna watch it.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:08 am

Source of the post Yep, nope. Not gonna watch it.
Worth watching. It's a total tear jerker throughout.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 am

The new invisible man is **** intense! Best movie I've seen this year, don't pass it up. Bonus: ray voodoo Tatum is in it.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:33 am

Voodoo Tatum is a *****. Matt Saracen for life.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:36 am

Voodoo Tatum is a *****. Matt Saracen for life.
Agree. Couldn't stop laughing when we saw him in this. He has come a long way and was good.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:35 am

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 am

Watched 10 things I hate about you and temple of doom last night. I'm in some sort of wonderful streak watching movies with awesome openings and Doom does not disappoint. Man I love that movie

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:36 am

Watched 10 things I hate about you and temple of doom last night. I'm in some sort of wonderful streak watching movies with awesome openings and Doom does not disappoint. Man I love that movie
Can you at least admit it is the worst of the four real Indiana Jones movies?

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:40 am

You seriously think Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom?

That's perhaps the spiciest take ever on this board. :lol:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:41 am

Can you at least admit it is the worst of the four real Indiana Jones movies?
Haha, not getting that from me, it's my favorite Indiana Jones and one of Spielberg's best movies. I love the gag with Willie running back and forth with all the different creatures while Indy and short are playing cards. I was belly laughing so hard last night

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:00 am

You seriously think Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom?

That's perhaps the spiciest take ever on this board. :lol:
Nope, brain fart. Meant original three.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:11 am

OK, I was concerned there for a minute. :lol:

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Man, I love Temple of Doom. Even if it’s the worst of the original 3, that just says more about how great the others are.

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Watched Lawrence of Arabia. Man that's a fast 4 hours. Amazing visuals and some enjoyable acting. Crazy good movie to watch even now

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:59 pm

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Man, I love Temple of Doom. Even if it’s the worst of the original 3, that just says more about how great the others are.

We

are going

to die!!!

:(

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:15 pm

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."
:thumb: