Amateur Hockey Thread

Joegap

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Joegap » Mon May 20, 2019 1:38 pm

maybe I'm an idiot but I'm considering a mouthguard but not considering a cage or a fishbowl
well yes, you are an idiot for no cage or fishbowl :lol: but if you're going to get a mouthguard I highly recommend these:
https://www.impactmouthguards.com/

the company is owned by one of my buddies. custom mouthguards at an affordable price. he's made a few for me and it's the only mouthguard I've ever thought was comfortable.
Those look legit, I think I am going to order one. Thanks for the link!

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Gotta love when some numbnut who decides not to wear shin pads in dek gets pissed off when someone inevitably catches him in the shin.

Plant, grow.

Thinking about it more, it really takes a special kind of stupid to willingly not wear shin pads while playing hockey then complain about getting hit in the shins.

Joegap

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Joegap » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:21 pm

Gotta love when some numbnut who decides not to wear shin pads in dek gets pissed off when someone inevitably catches him in the shin.

Plant, grow.

Thinking about it more, it really takes a special kind of stupid to willingly not wear shin pads while playing hockey then complain about getting hit in the shins.
It should be a league rule that you have to wear actual shin pads. I always see guys with the soccer ones too and those are a joke. I wouldn't be caught dead without shin pads.

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:43 pm

It used to be. I'm not sure what changed.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 am

the meeting is 2.5 hours long?
it likely will be. starts at 8:00 but it takes me 30 minutes to get there. I'll be able to listen on XM but I'd rather be home on my warm couch.
after we hear statements from all players who got match penalties (guy who speared him did too) and then debate punishment back and forth and then I drive home it'll easily be 10:30 or later before I'm home. I'll DVR the game and maybe watch when I get home but still, I have to miss it live because 2 men in their 40s had to be morons. :scared:
I have to keep reminding myself that this is why I get free hockey. being a board member saves me about $2K a year in league fees.
How'd this end up going, ssb?

shoeshine boy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:38 am

the meeting is 2.5 hours long?
it likely will be. starts at 8:00 but it takes me 30 minutes to get there. I'll be able to listen on XM but I'd rather be home on my warm couch.
after we hear statements from all players who got match penalties (guy who speared him did too) and then debate punishment back and forth and then I drive home it'll easily be 10:30 or later before I'm home. I'll DVR the game and maybe watch when I get home but still, I have to miss it live because 2 men in their 40s had to be morons. :scared:
I have to keep reminding myself that this is why I get free hockey. being a board member saves me about $2K a year in league fees.
How'd this end up going, ssb?
completely forgot to update! so Tuesday afternoon various board members start emailing back and forth, "oh...yeah....even though we've already postponed it once and we all agreed to move it back a week (originally supposed to meet 1/14) I can't make it this week either. can we just discuss it at February's meeting?" no, the match penalties are 30 days OR pending Board review. we can't just let either of them go without a hearing. "well, ok...how about we move it back to next Tuesday, 1/28?" everybody agrees and I actually DID get to watch the Pens suck against the Cryers. :face:

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:43 am

Best of both worlds, awesome...

shoeshine boy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:07 am

beer league canceled until at least 3/30. makes me sad.....lots of league members are mad but I think it was the right call. especially judging from the amount of forfeits we had Saturday night.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:21 am

Yeah, my reffing assignments have been suspended for at least a couple weeks...gonna be a boring little bit here once the Russian leagues go down...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby meow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:51 am

mini-meow's mini-mite program got the ax last night. no timetable to resume.

Joegap

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Joegap » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:07 am

Still game on down at RMU. Surprised they haven't cancelled, but I am willing to risk it all for an adult league inline championship

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:45 am

PIA isn't closing either but you'd probably get worse stuff than COVID walking on the bathroom floor

Kane

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Kane » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:22 pm

Still game on down at RMU. Surprised they haven't cancelled, but I am willing to risk it all for an adult league inline championship
:pop:

RMU ISC shut down now bruh.

shoeshine boy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:44 am

last night I played for the first time since mid-March. one of our rinks put together a shinny for our league's Board of Directors.
the rink required a face mask and took my temp before allowing me in the building. in the locker rooms, spots are designated and 6 feet apart. same on the bench. now, after having played, here are my thoughts: social distancing in ice hockey is NOT possible. this rink is doing all they can to minimize exposure. Everyone was good about staying in their spot in the locker room but once you’re on the ice that all goes out the window. There were 4 players on our bench but too often we were closer than 6 feet apart. I don’t see how it will work with as many as 12 on a bench. Right now the most useful precaution being taken by the rink is the temp check at the door. I don’t know yet what my decision will be in 3 weeks when our league resumes but anyone playing hockey right now ANYWHERE needs to accept that contracting COVID is a possibility.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:39 pm

I quietly retired from beer league hockey this year. Towards the end of the season, I started to realize I wasn't getting as excited for games like I used to. I also noticed that I was having more bad games than good games, which possibly could have led to me not being as excited. I still had a decent shot and despite having a 20 goal season I'd say half of those goals were in three games. That's not ideal in a season that was over four months long, although half the season was split between D and F. Maybe it was the longish season. Maybe it was the rec league heroes who are out there swinging sticks and trying to start fights after the whistle like it's the Cup Final. I'm in the latter side of my mid 40s. I don't need any of that nonsense.

I don't think I was that bad after not playing in an organized league in over four years, but after playing this season I'm content knowing that I played my last beer league game.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:42 pm

You're going out on your terms, not everyone gets that option. Good on you and keeping it going as long as you did... :thumb:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:58 pm

yeah, it was kinda weird reading about real players getting into their late 30s and early 40s and getting the same vibe about going to the rink and not understanding it. This year, it finally hit me. I was that guy.

When I last played as a full time player, which I think might have been on a team at RMU with @Stoosh in late 2015, I still had that feeling like I still enjoyed getting on the ice, not giving a **** if games didn't start until after midnight (that changed rather quickly), and even looking forward to the games on the olympic or international or whatever they called it ice. That team disbanded after the season and I was left as a free agent without a team. Without any other connections out here since I'm about two hrs from where I grew up, I basically called it a career as a beerleaguer and I was fine with it.

Friend of mine basically talked me out of retirement this year for a small league that ran entirely too long. The longer the season went on, it stopped being fun. I couldn't travel or make plans. I had to deal with stickswinging dickbags and rec league heroes who wanted to fight. I probably haven't thrown a punch that connected in 20 years, probably close to 25 years than 20. Having to throw because I saw your goalie couldn't control his rebound and didn't know the ball was loose just isn't worth it at this point. So yeah, no fights in 2+ decades, and I almost ended up in - let me count this up - five... wait, six if you include one with a goalie.

I may still throw on the equipment and hit a drop-in later this year if the 'rona allows it. If the one rec league back home still runs their charity game, I may join on as a spare. But officially, yeah, I'm done.

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:01 am

Having played there, not really all that surprising.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby meow » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:47 am

Maybe it was a bs holding call?

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:50 am

Has anyone else who played even semi-regularly not played a single game since March or just me...?

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:00 am

Maybe it was a bs holding call?

There's video of the incident. It was a holding the stick call. Puncher bumped with another dude and got pissy, so when the other dude tried to get up, puncher grabbed his stick.

I know the ref. He's a good guy, usually pretty relaxed even when someone argues with him.

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:02 am

Has anyone else who played even semi-regularly not played a single game since March or just me...?

Our dek league started back up a month or so ago. The first game was horrendous. The running's gotten easier over the last two or three. Hands are still MIA.

shoeshine boy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:55 pm

I've played maybe 6 games since March. I do have hockey friends who've barely left the house since March. one guy lost 90lbs, though IMO now he's too thin. (5'9" and under 150)

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:21 pm

Goalie pad re-strapping (some clips have popped out, etc.)...is this is a DIY project? Does something like Pure Hockey or Goalie Monkey do it? Creative options (i.e. shoe repair store)...?

@meow ?