Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

GDT #68: Pens vs Canes

Postby meow » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:20 pm

Boys (and BC). I’m concerned.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:35 pm

They got "Geeked"

Maybe they'll come out strong this week and actually look like they give a ****. But right now this team looks more like 2015 and 2019 than it does 2016 and 2017.

There's still time, but 4 out of a possible 20 points during any stretch of the season is flat out unacceptable by a team with this much talent.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Boys (and BC). I’m concerned.
I thought Marleau scoring today was a good sign. Ended up meaning squat today.

I know I keep harping on this, and I'm sorry: But, it's the *speed* of the turnaround, the quickness of how everything has gone south that I can't get past. It's like the week of the California trip caused a collective nervous breakdown from which no one, players and coaches, has been able to recover.

The things that frustrate me the most are the PP (WTAF) and this BS of giving up a goal 30-60 seconds after you manage to get one. It's like they refuse to give themselves a chance. Whoever's in goal gets rattled because the O can't give them any peace of mind at all, and the D in front of them is so mercurial. The goal differential is falling as fast as their confidence.

The Pens have THREE teams on their a**** right now, all of them only 5 points behind. Two of them have a game or 2 in hand overall. So, voilà! Adversity. Have at it, boys. You earned it.

Our next challenge, the Devils, are 6-2-2 in their last 10, but they suck overall. It's a good time for the Pens to get out on the road, bond a bit, and clear out some cobwebs.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:08 pm

I’m bringing it up again. When does the infallible Mike Sullivan start to take some blame for these
choke jobs the past two years? He had no answers in the Islanders series and has zero answers now.
I think he deserves some blame. Let him finish out this year, if the team struggles into next season too I think it’s time for a change

We look like an AHL team out there despite having among the most talent in the league
And when we had an AHL team out there, we looked like we had the most talent in the league.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:30 pm

Well if nothing else I saw Marleau's first goal as a Pen live and some dude with the last name Geekie score twice. Plus I only spent 80$ on two tickets. Could have been worse I guess.

That was a Trainwreck though. The 3rd was comical at the end.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:45 pm

I just asked Mike Sullivan, if players heeded his preachings about playing a north-south game when everyone was hurt, why that can’t still be a thing now.
Dejan Kovacevic
4:55 PM - March 8, 2020, PPG Paints Arena

I'm just going to sit with the suspense for awhile.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:59 pm

I just asked Mike Sullivan, if players heeded his preachings about playing a north-south game when everyone was hurt, why that can’t still be a thing now.
Dejan Kovacevic
4:55 PM - March 8, 2020, PPG Paints Arena

I'm just going to sit with the suspense for awhile.
It's better with video.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:35 pm

I’m bringing it up again. When does the infallible Mike Sullivan start to take some blame for these
choke jobs the past two years? He had no answers in the Islanders series and has zero answers now.
I think he deserves some blame. Let him finish out this year, if the team struggles into next season too I think it’s time for a change

We look like an AHL team out there despite having among the most talent in the league
Closer to an all star team giving an all star game effort without unity.

Moderate increase in talent recently. Big decrease in teamwork. I don't buy that these games have gotten tougher. Im seeing opponents that look vulnerable until the pens show they're performing even worse. The Pens play earlier in the season with some scrubs would be handling these games easily

It's not exactly effort. They need leadership from Sullivan here. He'd have a better chance leading some ahl all stars with super stars sprinkled in to a championship than this group of talented guys who didn't grow up in "the system"

I was banking on dumo and marino righting the ship. But the new guys and the "better" players returning from injury has led to no lines playing the system well. Young structured effort on the bottom two lines feeds momentum and Crosby's line and lets Malkin freestyle a bit. But it's all freestyle now. I think they're actually trying harder now because it's all out of position

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:46 pm

I'm officially concerned. Really hope something clicks. Not sure what the answer is other than execution.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:03 am

That seems a little drastic.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:25 am

I'd pretty much just healthy scratch Jugs going forward. That dude literally gives you nothing of value, especially if he's just gonna be McCann's winger.

I'd also move Sheary off the top-line, he does nothing for me, ultimately what really blows, is that neither goalie is trying to tell everyone they're the starter. They've both been buttmud at times the last 15 games.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:28 am

I was traveling this weekend and didn't see one second of either game. so glad I didn't waste 2 afternoons on this garbage.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 am

I'm not predisposed to liking him, but I'd give Jugs more than 26 minutes of ice time after not playing for four months...he basically just had a rehab offseason...not easy to come back from...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:01 am

I'm not predisposed to liking him, but I'd give Jugs more than 26 minutes of ice time after not playing for four months...he basically just had a rehab offseason...not easy to come back from...
It gets more complicated if ZAR and Simon came back. But right now, you aren’t scratching Jugs for Sam Lafferty. Just not going to happen and it shouldn’t happen

meow

Postby meow » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:46 am

ultimately what really blows, is that neither goalie is trying to tell everyone they're the starter. They've both been buttmud at times the last 15 games.
I don’t know how to say this politely, so I’ll just say it bluntly. Have you been watching these facking games? Goaltending is so far down on the list of issues. It’s right below how concerned I am about how many farts are trapped in the team plane’s seats.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:55 am

Yeah, one of my buddies (well, kinda) was trashing Jack Johnson after the loss yesterday...and it's like, "what are you talking about...? Did I just get a text from like two years ago...?"

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:58 am

Source of the post how many farts are trapped in the team plane’s seats.
Well I now have a new thing to worry about while flying. Thanks.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:10 am

ultimately what really blows, is that neither goalie is trying to tell everyone they're the starter. They've both been buttmud at times the last 15 games.
I don’t know how to say this politely, so I’ll just say it bluntly. Have you been watching these facking games? Goaltending is so far down on the list of issues. It’s right below how concerned I am about how many farts are trapped in the team plane’s seats.
Do I consider it a major issue? Absolutely not, but it'd be nice if either one stole a game, it'd be nice if they actually shoot the puck instead of give it away all the time, but I think the former is actually more probable.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 am

Yeah, one of my buddies (well, kinda) was trashing Jack Johnson after the loss yesterday...and it's like, "what are you talking about...? Did I just get a text from like two years ago...?"
The Jack Johnson bashing seems weird, considering he's not the one likely passing it blindly in the slot to the other team.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 am

Do I consider it a major issue? Absolutely not, but it'd be nice if either one stole a game, it'd be nice if they actually shoot the puck instead of give it away all the time, but I think the former is actually more probable.
The thing about goalies stealing games is, it gives false hope. Look at Arizona earlier this year. For some reason, the league let those two 1b goalies build a literal brick wall in their net - yet when I tried it it was “unprofessional” and “please don’t come back.” Total bs

Goaltending right now is just a by product of the D putting money on the board for whoever can have the worst pinch of the game. The two time cup winner didn’t forget how to play. The all star didn’t forget how to play. Give them a chance to make the save, they will make. It is a by-product of a sht product in front of the

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:47 pm

Playing devils advocate here, but if that is the case, then paying a goaltender top dollar is just bad cap management.

I agree that the D is the reason why the goalies look bad....but if they only look good with a good defense in front of them, I’d rather spend money on good D and get by with average goaltending.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 pm

Playing devils advocate here, but if that is the case, then paying a goaltender top dollar is just bad cap management.
What is devil’s advocate about this? It 100% is bad cap management
I agree that the D is the reason why the goalies look bad....but if they only look good with a good defense in front of them, I’d rather spend money on good D and get by with average goaltending.
Also 100% true. Playing good D isn’t just playing good D. It is almost just as much keeping the puck so you don’t have to play good D.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:59 pm

That should always be the plan unless you employ Dominik Hasek. Play good enough to rely on goaltending as little as possible.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:02 pm

oops, missed meow's post

offsides

Postby offsides » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm

Maybe we can get that zamboni driver/goalie from the Canes. Be able to afford some good D then.