Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:55 am

Source of the post Man... whatever this cold is, it's wreaking havoc on our company.
Sounds like our household. I think we've had one week where one of us wasn't sick since Thanksgiving. I'm getting over this awful cold/sore throat, and my daughter woke up yesterday with a bit of a stuffy nose. I can't **** wait for warmer weather.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:25 pm

So my wife had bloodwork done yesterday to try and figure out what's wrong with her....there are some results that *could* be nothing, but are also really alarming. Specifically the presence of smudge cells. I'm not allowed to tell anyone we "know", so I am venting to you guys. The smudge cell thing (combined with elevated WBCs and lymphocytes" is a classic indicator of CLL, so I am really trying not to think worst case scenario as it could definitely be something far less serious.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Good luck to Ms. Shaf, sounds like she has a lot on her plate right now.

Cagsjr724

Postby Cagsjr724 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:02 am

My brother took me out for drinks for the AEW PPV and Pens game. Last call was called and we got into the local VFW and drank until 4am. Got an uber back to his house and while walking up the steps to his house I fell and felt something pop in my left elbow while catching my fall. Now its swollen as **** and I cant make my arm go straight without serious pain. Really hope I didn't do some serious damage. I guess I'll know how bad it is in the morning with a wicked hangover.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:19 am

Well????

We’re waiting.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:54 pm

Thanks man. :thumb: Carries extra weight coming from you.

So, I think we have our culprit. She tested positive for three of the four Epstein-Barr indicators. She had mono as a teenager.... In the majority of people EBV remains dormant (the vast majority of us have it) but in her case it seems to have reactivated.

The question now is if it has reactivated as mono again (which would really suck anyway), or if it sparked something far more serious. EBV reactivation is a significant cause of several lymphomas, including Hodgkin's, so just hoping for the best possible result at this point.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:55 am

So my wife had bloodwork done yesterday to try and figure out what's wrong with her....there are some results that *could* be nothing, but are also really alarming. Specifically the presence of smudge cells. I'm not allowed to tell anyone we "know", so I am venting to you guys. The smudge cell thing (combined with elevated WBCs and lymphocytes" is a classic indicator of CLL, so I am really trying not to think worst case scenario as it could definitely be something far less serious.
:cry:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:41 am

Thanks man. :thumb: Carries extra weight coming from you.

So, I think we have our culprit. She tested positive for three of the four Epstein-Barr indicators. She had mono as a teenager.... In the majority of people EBV remains dormant (the vast majority of us have it) but in her case it seems to have reactivated.

The question now is if it has reactivated as mono again (which would really suck anyway), or if it sparked something far more serious. EBV reactivation is a significant cause of several lymphomas, including Hodgkin's, so just hoping for the best possible result at this point.
Glad you're starting to narrow it down. Having the full spectrum of possibilities is pretty daunting, getting some kind of handle on what it might be is a comfort in and of itself. Sending good vibes. :thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:28 pm

I've got something of a small bug, I think. Headache for the last 36 hours or so. Minor muscle soreness, some dry throat/sinus stuff. It's possible it's just seasonal allergies hitting me all at once. Doesn't feel like it though. It's not COVID-19 as there is no fever or respiratory symptoms.

I don't care about this little cold, if it is one. It just makes me question the effectiveness of the precautions I've been taking for COVID; if I messed up somewhere obvious that I can correct.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33 pm

You went outside?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Source of the post It's not COVID-19 as there is no fever or respiratory symptoms.
Not all COVID patients had the two, at least initially. Some never had respiratory symptoms.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 pm

I've been fighting through a gout flare for like 6 days now, finally broke down and called my Dr for a refill on indomethacin. Literally 1 pill later, pain is pretty much gone. Should've just done that 5 days ago.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:39 pm

You went outside?
That's where the food is. ;)

NTP66, I guess. The big three are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. I don't have any of them after a full day into this to I'm going to just go with the minor bug thing. ;)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm

:thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm

If I do die I'll let you know.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:48 am

been having mouth pain the last 24-ish hours. so afraid it's either a cavity or all the work I had done a year ago to avoid having a root canal was for nothing. not only that but I'm in-between dentists now. should be fun finding a new one right now. FML.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:51 am

I've got something of a small bug, I think. Headache for the last 36 hours or so. Minor muscle soreness, some dry throat/sinus stuff. It's possible it's just seasonal allergies hitting me all at once. Doesn't feel like it though. It's not COVID-19 as there is no fever or respiratory symptoms.

I don't care about this little cold, if it is one. It just makes me question the effectiveness of the precautions I've been taking for COVID; if I messed up somewhere obvious that I can correct.
I've had almost exactly this since Thursday. More of a stuffy nose than the headache though. And I've been pretty tired. Been odd but not that bad. No fever, no cough, no breathing issues. I'd chalk it up to allergies but usually that comes with sneezing and itchy eyes for me

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:55 am

I'm over it now. It lasted into that Friday and I was fine through the weekend. Went back to running again yesterday and I feel good.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:57 am

didn't realize that was an old post, good stuff

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:30 am

Either way I'm wearing a mask for the first time at work.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Anyone ever have shingles? Any home remedies?

My wife is on an antiviral now along side some anti-itch spray stuff. Just curious if anyone has any ancient yinzer home brews to cook up.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:40 pm

I had it back in 2016. I just used the antivirals the doc gave me.

Also only had it in a small patch on my neck so other than the meds I didnt really need much more.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 15, 2020 6:35 am

Thanks for nothing.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 am

I think I heard you can drink bleach or aquarium chemicals

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:51 am

I have some of the aquarium chemicals available to ship for a low price, too.