Travel Thread

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:39 pm

Best bagel in NYC?
Ess A Bagel in Midtown is outstanding. I would give anything to have their lox bagel sandwich right now. Best of the more accessible places in NYC.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Most local bagels are good in NYC. A bad bagel in NYC is better than the best bagel in most other places.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 pm

Best bagel in NYC?
Ess A Bagel in Midtown is outstanding. I would give anything to have their lox bagel sandwich right now. Best of the more accessible places in NYC.

Just finished it. Outstanding!

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Awesome man! Glad you enjoyed.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00 am

NYC trip highlights:
started Saturday night at the NWHL game in New Jersey. a friend of ours who plays for the Metropolitan Riveters was being honored for HFC night because she's a breast cancer survivor. crazy game that included one of the Buffalo players being ejected for pulling a Kassian.
saw the Rangers lose to the Bruins at MSG Sunday afternoon. Rangers fans are funny. so positive to start the game and then ready to throw the whole team under the bus when the Bruins went up 2-0. :lol:
saw 2 Broadway shows. Girl From the North Country (featuring the music of Bob Dylan), very dark. typically I like my musicals to be a little more upbeat. this show was still in previews. IMO they have a lot to work out before opening night. it didn't help that right before the show started, a guy with the biggest head I've ever seen sat right in front of me. :roll:
also saw Come From Away. loved, loved, loved this show! this one has been running for almost 3 years and is very tight. money well spent. got tickets to both from the TKTS booth at South Street Seaport.
on Monday's trip down there we hopped on the Staten Island Ferry for a free float-by of the Statue of Liberty. afterwards we walked over to Big Gay Ice Cream on Front Street for some of the best soft serve ever. next was a trip to Little Italy for some pasta and cannoli.
the next day one of our friends came down with a nasty virus so we were pretty much on our own for the rest of the trip.
set out in the morning to find a real NY bagel. Ess-A bagel was nearby-ish so that's where we headed. for years my yankee friends have said that NY bagels are different and now I understand. after that we headed back down to the TKTS booth where we scored front row balcony for Come From Away. our original plan was to head back Uptown but since we were so close to the 9/11 Memorial we decided to walk over to pay our respects. we've been inside the museum before so this time we just kind of wandered around the Memorial Pools.
next we headed over to John's on Bleeker for some pizza. our friend that was down with the virus had told us that was her favorite pizza place in all of NYC. it was pretty much the perfect pizza. as we headed back to the subway we stumbled upon Murray's Cheese. my SO is a BIG fan of cheese so we spent about 45 minutes sampling cheeses before picking out a few to take home. we decided to pop in the NHL Store on the way back to the hotel. I realize it's in Manhattan but probably about 60% of the store was Rangers stuff. gross. found an unusual Pens shirt and pretty much nothing else.
saw the 2nd show that night. afterwards we wandered through Times Square and hit up the Mean Fiddler (recommended by a friend) for some Irish food and drinks. finished the night by picking up some cheesecake from Junior's. I'd walked 20k steps, climbed 14 flights and 8.4 miles so there was no guilt.
slept in a bit the next day but with our friends still out with that virus we parked them in the executive lounge (we all had evening flights out of JFK) and we headed for Katz's Deli for a proper lunch. easily one of the best pastrami sandwiches I've ever had.
after that we headed back to the hotel on the subway, collected our friends and hopped the subway and AirTrain to JFK.
overall, one of our more enjoyable trips to NYC with the exception of our friend getting so sick that they really didn't get to do anything for Tuesday or Wednesday.
I'm really shocked that we relied 100% on the subway and our feet to get us places. massage scheduled for Friday.
final walking total was 77,942 steps, 32.3 miles, 58 flights climbed. :fist:
Last edited by shoeshine boy on Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00 am

Awesome, you tried to do it all and it sounds like you just about got there.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 am

forgot one bad thing: I lost my Oakley sunglasses. :(

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:35 am

Go on eBay and buy frames only, then hit Amazon for aftermarket lenses (I prefer Revant Optics). I have four total Oakley frames (three Holobrook, one Fuel Cell) that I spent a total of about $150 on.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:54 am

NYC trip highlights:
started Saturday night at the NWHL game in New Jersey. a friend of ours who plays for the Metropolitan Riveters was being honored for HFC night because she's a breast cancer survivor. crazy game that included one of the Buffalo players being ejected for pulling a Kassian.
saw the Rangers lose to the Bruins at MSG Sunday afternoon. Rangers fans are funny. so positive to start the game and then ready to throw the whole team under the bus when the Bruins went up 2-0. :lol:
saw 2 Broadway shows. Girl From the North Country (featuring the music of Bob Dylan), very dark. typically I like my musicals to be a little more upbeat. this show was still in previews. IMO they have a lot to work out before opening night. it didn't help that right before the show started, a guy with the biggest head I've ever seen sat right in front of me. :roll:
also saw Come From Away. loved, loved, loved this show! this one has been running for almost 3 years and is very tight. money well spent. got tickets to both from the TKTS booth at South Street Seaport.
on Monday's trip down there we hopped on the Staten Island Ferry for a free float-by of the Statue of Liberty. afterwards we walked over to Big Gay Ice Cream on Front Street for some of the best soft serve ever. next was a trip to Little Italy for some pasta and cannoli.
the next day one of our friends came down with a nasty virus so we were pretty much on our own for the rest of the trip.
set out in the morning to find a real NY bagel. Ess-A bagel was nearby-ish so that's where we headed. for years my yankee friends have said that NY bagels are different and now I understand. after that we headed back down to the TKTS booth where we scored front row balcony for Come From Away. our original plan was to head back Uptown but since we were so close to the 9/11 Memorial we decided to walk over to pay our respects. we've been inside the museum before so this time we just kind of wandered around the Memorial Pools.
next we headed over to John's on Bleeker for some pizza. our friend that was down with the virus had told us that was her favorite pizza place in all of NYC. it was pretty much the perfect pizza. as we headed back to the subway we stumbled upon Murray's Cheese. my SO is a BIG fan of cheese so we spent about 45 minutes sampling cheeses before picking out a few to take home. we decided to pop in the NHL Store on the way back to the hotel. I realize it's in Manhattan but probably about 60% of the store was Rangers stuff. gross. found an unusual Pens shirt and pretty much nothing else.
saw the 2nd show that night. afterwards we wandered through Times Square and hit up the Mean Fiddler (recommended by a friend) for some Irish food and drinks. finished the night by picking up some cheesecake from Junior's. I'd walked 20k steps, climbed 14 flights and 8.4 miles so there was no guilt.
slept in a bit the next day but with our friends still out with that virus we parked them in the executive lounge (we all had evening flights out of JFK) and we headed for Katz's Deli for a proper lunch. easily one of the best pastrami sandwiches I've ever had.
after that we headed back to the hotel on the subway, collected our friends and hopped the subway and AirTrain to JFK.
overall, one of our more enjoyable trips to NYC with the exception of our friend getting so sick that they really didn't get to do anything for Tuesday or Wednesday.
I'm really shocked that we relied 100% on the subway and our feet to get us places. massage scheduled for Friday.
final walking total was 77,942 steps, 32.3 miles, 58 flights climbed. :fist:
Fantastic!! Glad you had a great trip. Really happy you liked Ess-A-Bagel. Like dodint said, you did a superb job packing in as much NYC stuff as possible. Well done.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:31 pm

Go on eBay and buy frames only, then hit Amazon for aftermarket lenses (I prefer Revant Optics). I have four total Oakley frames (three Holobrook, one Fuel Cell) that I spent a total of about $150 on.
hmmm...good idea. mostly because I can't find exact replacements. these were Oakley Flak Jacket and all I can find new is Flak Jacket 2.0 which isn't exactly the same. I have a small face and, as my sister liked to call them, chipmunk cheeks so I can't wear just any sunglasses.
I've bought Revant replacement lenses before. they're really great and much less $$

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Heading down to Florida this weekend for a wedding. Excited to get south.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:08 pm

That's not as bad as losing a pair in your own house. Almost a year later and I still can't find them.

There's a pair on eBay right now for $76 shipped that are used and also coming from Russia, so I'd really be rolling the dice on the condition of "a little scratch" and if they would even arrive. With my luck, I know the second that I would order them, they would end up turning up... similar to how my Garmin charger turned up today after I wasn't after to find it for several months.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:47 pm

@tifosi77

What's the most painless way to fly in an out of Fontana? Meaning, if I want to fly in for an event at AutoClub Speedway for a weekend is LAX my only viable option?

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:05 pm

With my new promotion, I have to attend a conference being held in Starkville, MS...in late July.

Any upside to this?

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:09 pm

If you're a John Grisham fan you can treat it as a Clanton Fantasy Tour.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:34 pm

@dodint, if you can go into Ontario, I'd go that route. Less of a distance to get to the track and certainly no headache LA traffic. Having made that trip yearly from LA to Palm Springs and the last two years it taking 4 hours (2 1/2 is standard), I'd do anything in my financial power to avoid having to go into LAX and making that drive. Of course, if it doesn't make financial sense or your airline doesn't offer Ontario, then you might be stuck with LAX unless you want to try Palm Springs but they're usually extra-pricey there.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too but wasn't sure who serviced Ontario. Thanks.

I don't even have a drive, just kicking around the idea of hunting one down.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:43 pm

Anyone been to the Melbourne, FL area?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:48 pm

@dodint

ONT is sort of at the Fontana Speedway, so I strongly second that reco. Flying into Burbank would cut the drive down to 90 minutes or so (depending on time of day)........ and it would mean I could buy you a beer! But you're still looking at the can-I -get-a-flight issue. You might need to book legs separately; fly direct to PHX or LAS, then hop a regional carrier to SoCal.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Anyone been to the Melbourne, FL area?
I have a friend there that works as a LASER tech in a lab. Spent some time there on a short vacation in 2017 or so.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:57 pm

@dodint

ONT is sort of at the Fontana Speedway, so I strongly second that reco. Flying into Burbank would cut the drive down to 90 minutes or so (depending on time of day)........ and it would mean I could buy you a beer! But you're still looking at the can-I -get-a-flight issue. You might need to book legs separately; fly direct to PHX or LAS, then hop a regional carrier to SoCal.
Cool, thanks.

If I did this I was going to see if you wanted to come out Saturday. You would get to see some cool cars through the day, then there is a big party on Saturday night once the track goes cold. Free beer and smoked meat. Same series that Cbear and I ran in Kansas. Not sure if it would be worth 3 hours in the car for you, though.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:29 am

Made it from my home in Eastern Lancaster County to the parking garage at the downtown Marriott in 3 1/2 hours this morning. Waking up early on a Saturday and hitting the road is a beautiful thing.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:39 am

@dodint

Cool, thanks.

If I did this I was going to see if you wanted to come out Saturday. You would get to see some cool cars through the day, then there is a big party on Saturday night once the track goes cold. Free beer and smoked meat. Same series that Cbear and I ran in Kansas. Not sure if it would be worth 3 hours in the car for you, though.
Forgot to add: Other regional options would be SFO, SJC, and OAK. All would leave you with a 45-minute connection to SoCal.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:47 am

The flights I looked at seemed to connect thru Dallas and Phoenix. Not bad pricing either.

It's unlikely that I am going but it is nice to know I can.

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:39 am