Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:18 am

That whole open wheel split really worked out well, thanks.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Anything that permanently negates the ability of Tony George to ever again affect American open-wheel racing has my seal of approval. :thumb:

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Feels more apropos of this thread, but I just learned The Stig is playing Denny Hulme in Ford v Ferrari.

Gaucho

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Gaucho » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:28 pm

@Kane

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Haha

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 am

Unfortunately Vettel has already dropped too many penalty points to be close to suspension. That would have been amazing.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:51 pm

James Hunt and Buddy Baker competing in IROC at Michigan, 1976. Baker won.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 am

Really excited, I knew my procrastination would pay off. A guy on my racing forum bought an Integra driven by a fat guy, and the seat was too big for him, it's the one on the left:

It's a $2200 seat new but I grabbed it used for $800. A buddy of mine down in NC has a business trip to where it's at next week and is going to pick it up for me until I can get it. 8-)

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:41 am

Nice score! I’ve been checking out the Just Legends and Spec Miata groups on Facebook. To start I’m just going to repurpose the Corbeau from the Lemons build.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:08 pm

Are you going to back brace it? I'm bracing mine. I feel like you'll be able to feel the car better, and it allows the seat to be used passed the FIA date for most sanctioning bodies.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:58 pm

Mine will definitely have bracing behind it, but the SCCA regs don't actually mandate an FIA seat.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:05 pm

I'm going to brace mine with brackets that go around the tubing. That way for TTNT events where I have a co-driver I can unbolt the bracket and put my seat on a slider. TTNT doesn't care about that stuff, I only need the bracing for w2w (w/NASA for sure). Luckily I'm tall enough at 6'4" that I can build the cage to match the exact location of the back brace, and any co-driver can simply move forward on a slider. Anyone taller can get ****, it's my car. ;)

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:09 pm

Lemons rules say the back support has to be within 6", which is pretty lenient as far as I'm concerned.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:13 pm

Yeah, I've heard most bodies don't require direct bolting, just adjacent. But I do think that there is value in having the seat secured laterally. Both for enhanced feedback and structural integrity of the seat.

To a point, though. If I wanted ALL THE FEEDBACK I would install a cushionless drag seat. ;)

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 am

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Glorious.
I'd have been a Youtube sensation if it existed as when I was a kid.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:46 pm

James Hunt and Buddy Baker competing in IROC at Michigan, 1976. Baker won.
Way late responding to this, but I have a book called "Drive To Win" by a longtime mechanic called Carroll Smith. He tells a story about engineering a racing car for James Hunt when he came over to run an Atlantics race - as an F1 driver! - like at Trois Riveres or something. After qualie, Hunt was like, "Okay, the Villeneuve kid will win this, and if we can stay out of trouble we'll finish 4th or 5th." And that's exactly what happened. Then after the race, he was talking to some of the drivers and Villeneuve walked up to him and wanted his opinion about whether he should change his name for career reasons, because he was afraid 'Gilles' was kind of too weird for non-Frenchies. Hunt said, "Keep that name. If I was 'Jim Hunt' you'd have never heard of me."

I'm probably butchering the telling of that, but that story has always resonated with me, and once I read it I stopped using the shorthand of my real name.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:02 am

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:48 pm

In true Andretti fashion, finished P3 on his own memorial lap.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:22 pm

I bought what looks like a pretty clean SRT4 for $4,100. This car is actually classed above my BMW in SCCA Time Trials classing. I bought it so I could have a car to track while I build up the BMW as the wife being sick and our decision to move to our other house has slowed my progress on that. I won't have a car to race on Memorial Day in South Carolina otherwise. I wanted something that was completely different than what I have now (RWD NA I6 German car) so I bought a domestic FWD Turbo 4.
The Dodge Intrepid part of my brain is really geeking out because the stuff I spent thousands on back then for the Intrepids are now 15-20 years old and dirt cheap. :lol: I'm going to drop in a factory nav w/Sirius and reuse a Grom bluetooth I have for like $125. This is awesome.

The car comes with the factory-style Borla exhaust included, that side exit exhaust is both dumb and not PA inspection legal. It already has a cold air intake and supposedly no other mods, so it's ready for SCCA TT S3 as is. Going to check it over, add a 5pt harness, put some 225 wide 200tw tires on a set of lightweight wheels and that should be about it for performance stuff.

I also want to go up to Ohio and do some dirt rally events, and this car is perfect for that. Damn near disposable.

This will replace my Z4 as my daily driver, so that will be up for sale soon. By purchasing this it frees me up to buy a three-season car for One Lap of America in 2021. Once the house sells and if the DMC sells I'll start looking at C5Zs and Viper GTS/SRT10s by late summer.

Pretty stoked, honestly. :thumb: It's in West Chester so I'm going to take off work Wednesday and go pick it up.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm

In true Andretti fashion, finished P3 on his own memorial lap.
He was leading down the backstretch until the engine developed a miss.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:05 pm

I bought what looks like a pretty clean SRT4 for $4,100. This car is actually classed above my BMW in SCCA Time Trials classing. I bought it so I could have a car to track while I build up the BMW as the wife being sick and our decision to move to our other house has slowed my progress on that. I won't have a car to race on Memorial Day in South Carolina otherwise. I wanted something that was completely different than what I have now (RWD NA I6 German car) so I bought a domestic FWD Turbo 4.
The Dodge Intrepid part of my brain is really geeking out because the stuff I spent thousands on back then for the Intrepids are now 15-20 years old and dirt cheap. :lol: I'm going to drop in a factory nav w/Sirius and reuse a Grom bluetooth I have for like $125. This is awesome.

The car comes with the factory-style Borla exhaust included, that side exit exhaust is both dumb and not PA inspection legal. It already has a cold air intake and supposedly no other mods, so it's ready for SCCA TT S3 as is. Going to check it over, add a 5pt harness, put some 225 wide 200tw tires on a set of lightweight wheels and that should be about it for performance stuff.

I also want to go up to Ohio and do some dirt rally events, and this car is perfect for that. Damn near disposable.

This will replace my Z4 as my daily driver, so that will be up for sale soon. By purchasing this it frees me up to buy a three-season car for One Lap of America in 2021. Once the house sells and if the DMC sells I'll start looking at C5Zs and Viper GTS/SRT10s by late summer.

Pretty stoked, honestly. :thumb: It's in West Chester so I'm going to take off work Wednesday and go pick it up.
So if Japanese tuner cars are ricers, does this make you a french fry? My first car was an Avenger and that swore me away from Mopar for ever. It turns out they weren't nearly as fun as the IROC series made them look. I still have a set of winter wheels in storage for that car, it's only been 19 years.

Oh yeah, rallycross is a blast. So as long as you keep it stock height that should be a blast. Could put snows on the stock wheels even.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Brian's Skyline in 2 Fast 2 Furious was originally supposed to be an SRT4.

I thought of you when I just dumped about 5 JCWs off of my CarGurus list. :lol:

I don't plan to drop it. I was looking to see if I could find something to raise it slightly for rally weekends, tho. The guy I paddocked next to at Gingerman was big into rallycross in this area and turned me onto it. He was doing the TTNT Time Trial in a jacked up fox body Mustang.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:54 pm

Chinese Grand Prix postponed by F1 organizers due to coronavirus

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/12/f1- ... postponed/

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:49 pm

This SRT-4 was an absolute steal. The interior needs a little refreshing in some parts, but the paint looks brand new and it is mechanically sorted. A trip to the pull it yard and $100 will cure almost all of the little worries.

The car was from VA and traded in at a Nissan dealer. Must have been pretty far south in VA because there isn't a speck kf rust on this thing. Naturally it was snowing like crazy tonight and they salted the roads like a margarita.