Restaurant Recommendations

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:10 pm

Sidebar: Hitchhiker is putting a taproom on liberty near liberty and 6th, right by the mini police station. I like that police station because you can see the city's fine officers sitting at that little foldout table, reading their phones, and eating moes while simultaneously protecting and serving.
Did they go through dollar bank, I got the impression that news was on the DL for some reason from a friend that works for them.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:31 pm

Not that I know of. The post gazette had an article about it in yesterday's paper online publication

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:46 pm

I probably misunderstood, maybe he just meant it's in a very early stage cause they have to a pretty thorough fit out

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:56 pm

Hitchhiker got F'd in the A before they went to Sharpsburg. They had been working on a Southside location, got hassled by the man, jumped through tons of hoops placed in their way, then finally the bureaucracy got to them and they flipped to the Sharpsburg location instead. They are probably going on tip toes this time.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:01 pm

Might be better in the end though. With them and Dancing Gnome in Sharpsburg, so that's like a beer central place now. Plus I think they're going to buy up some other vacant warehouse over there to expand capacity.There is ample vacant warehouse/flex space in sharpsburg.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Love eating at Morcilla. There are definitely a couple of tables that are pretty miserable, thinking mostly the back corner table nearest the kitchen. We've definitely asked to be moved every time they plump us there.
Going there for the first time next week. Any recos?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:17 pm

I would definitely get the croquettes and the heirloom tomato salad. I would suggest the pork ribs, every time i've gone my wife order the octopus, i tried and thought it was gross and weird, but everyone else has raved about it. So essentially, I don't endorse it, but I might just uniquely think it sucks. The churros or creme brule are both worthy of getting for desert.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Love eating at Morcilla. There are definitely a couple of tables that are pretty miserable, thinking mostly the back corner table nearest the kitchen. We've definitely asked to be moved every time they plump us there.
Going there for the first time next week. Any recos?
How many in your party? The Family Feast is a good four course introduction to their menu, but everyone at the table gets that. Far and away the absolute best thing that you can order is the cochinillo, which is again a whole table thing and is recommended for four people. With the snacks and small plates the fried artichokes, scallop crudo, pulpo a la plancha (TL is wrong), and costillas de la matanza are my favorites.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:47 pm

I would definitely get the croquettes and the heirloom tomato salad. I would suggest the pork ribs, every time i've gone my wife order the octopus, i tried and thought it was gross and weird, but everyone else has raved about it. So essentially, I don't endorse it, but I might just uniquely think it sucks. The churros or creme brule are both worthy of getting for desert.
Good stuff. :thumb:
How many in your party? The Family Feast is a good four course introduction to their menu, but everyone at the table gets that. Far and away the absolute best thing that you can order is the cochinillo, which is again a whole table thing and is recommended for four people. With the snacks and small plates the fried artichokes, scallop crudo, pulpo a la plancha (TL is wrong), and costillas de la matanza are my favorites.
4, so, I'd say that works out about right if we go that route, haha. Thanks!

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:06 pm

The oxtail is excellent

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Pulpo is something that can be really awful if the kitchen isn't on point. Octo is one of Mrs Tif's faves, so we usually order it when we see it, more so at a Spanish place.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:34 pm

Question from a friend:

“Hey, I wanted to pick your brain. My brother and I are heading to Pittsburgh next weekend to catch the Penguins/Flyers game. What places do you recommend as far as cool pubs and restaurants near the stadium. I know you’ve been there a lot. Any info would be helpful. Talk to you later.”

Suggestions? They like craft brews too.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:39 pm

How’s The Yard?

Told them about Church Brew Works already

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Near the arena, can't really go wrong with Bufords (though it gets crowded on game night). Emporio/Siena Mercado is also walkable.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:47 pm

The steak frites at poulet bleu is probably the best dish in Pittsburgh

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:16 am

Question from a friend:

“Hey, I wanted to pick your brain. My brother and I are heading to Pittsburgh next weekend to catch the Penguins/Flyers game. What places do you recommend as far as cool pubs and restaurants near the stadium. I know you’ve been there a lot. Any info would be helpful. Talk to you later.”

Depends on what they consider "near". What I would consider near, nothing. What radius are they thinking?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:19 am

Question from a friend:

Milanos.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:30 am

Question from a friend:

Depends on what they consider "near". What I would consider near, nothing. What radius are they thinking?
Probably within the triangle and a short Uber ride

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:14 pm

Question from a friend:

Milanos.
+1 for milanos. Get there 2 hours before a game for a seat though.

There's really nothing "cool" within a 15 min walk of PPGPA but certainly ubering is possible. South side works (hofbrauhaus) is pretty convenient via the Birmingham Bridge/fifth Ave.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:20 pm

There’s a lot of bars/restaurants on Penn in the cultural district. Gonna be a good 10-15 minute walk though

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:22 pm

Z’s Best BBQ on Fifth Avenue is damn good. It’s kinda sketchy but it’s worth it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:23 pm

How’s The Yard?

Told them about Church Brew Works already
I like the yard. It's not my favorite but it's a good option.

My last two trips to CBW were terrible, and I'm likely never going back. The beer was flat, the food was overpriced, and not good.

It hasn't been the same since they ditched the pizza.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:24 pm

Z’s Best BBQ on Fifth Avenue is damn good. It’s kinda sketchy but it’s worth it.
I saw that last time I went down. It was packed.

Don't sleep on Shale's Street Meat too.. :lol:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:28 pm

Last time I went to Church Brew Works it was packed and they lost our order. Asked multiple times in the hour plus wait where our food was and were told multiple times it’ll be right up, only for them to come out and say they had no idea what we ordered. Manager gave us everything for free, but I’ll never got back. Service on previous visits wasn’t nearly as bad, but was never great.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:35 am

Last time I went to Church Brew Works it was packed and they lost our order. Asked multiple times in the hour plus wait where our food was and were told multiple times it’ll be right up, only for them to come out and say they had no idea what we ordered. Manager gave us everything for free, but I’ll never got back. Service on previous visits wasn’t nearly as bad, but was never great.
I've been to CBW three times. The first they told us it would be a 2 hour wait for a table so obviously we left. The other two we went during off times. Both times I had the same reaction to the meal: it's a cool space with incredibly average food. I'll only go back if someone is visiting from out of town and requests to go.