Video Games

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:02 am

I can recall at least twice in the last two months where the service was down to the point where it was impossible to even play offline games until you set your Xbox to "offline mode." A lot of times specific games or services are limited, such as parties. I mean, even right now there is a problem with installing Halo Reach/Halo MCC.

All you really have to do is check the down detector to see the history of issues. https://downdetector.com/status/xbox-live/archive/

For a subscription service where I pay $60/year, the issues happen too frequently.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 am

The one game I'm looking forward to absolutely requires that service, now that I think about it. I'll just hope for the best.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 am

The one game I'm looking forward to absolutely requires that service, now that I think about it. I'll just hope for the best.
Don't get me wrong, it works flawlessly WAY more often than it's down. But it always seems to go down at the worst moments, like primetime right as a new game launches. Or Christmas Day. The servers are vulnerable to ddos attacks and somehow they haven't figured out a way to combat that.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:25 am

Yeah PSN has similar issues. I don't play online alot, but when it does down it seems to be at the worst time.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:13 pm

I never play online, but in my experience, when publishers push update patches that brick the game until you download and apply the patch seems to be when my PSN connection is down. And I have two different PSN accounts, one for my gaming console and one for the two dedicated to OTT streaming, and it never seems to affect the streaming account.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:32 pm

Is the typical experience with Xbox games that even though you’ve got the disc, they still require massive amounts of data to be downloaded? Just popped in Forza 4 and it requires a 70GB download to install. :lol: This stupid thing may only be able to store a handful of games.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:37 pm

What is the best single player game yinz have played that's available on Xbone? Preferably sandbox style. I need something new to play while my wife does work stuff in the evenings now that I finished Far Cry 5. If you name a game from the past 5 years or so that is sandbox style and isn't assassins creed, far cry, or GTA, I probably haven't played it.

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Is the typical experience with Xbox games that even though you’ve got the disc, they still require massive amounts of data to be downloaded? Just popped in Forza 4 and it requires a 70GB download to install. :lol: This stupid thing may only be able to store a handful of games.

But Forza 4 has a metric **** ton of cars...

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:04 pm

That’s why I bought it. Looks like it should be a lot of fun, and it was like $15.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:29 pm

What is the best single player game yinz have played that's available on Xbone? Preferably sandbox style. I need something new to play while my wife does work stuff in the evenings now that I finished Far Cry 5. If you name a game from the past 5 years or so that is sandbox style and isn't assassins creed, far cry, or GTA, I probably haven't played it.
Elite Dangerous continues to be just about the only game I play...Flying around in a spaceship trading/bounty hunting/exploring/aliens/PvP with access to 400 billion star systems.
It does have a solo mode where you wouldn’t see other players.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:33 pm

Yes.. same with Playstation as well. I have an original PS4 that had a paltry 500GB hdd. When I got my PS4 pro the first thing I did was swap out the 1TB HDD for a 4TB HDD. I don't even by physical games anymore, just download and store them on the HDD. Either way though upgrading the HDD in either the Xbox or PS4 is a must IMO.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:03 pm

It's an artifact of physical media. A game gold master candidate (GMC) has to be locked perhaps 6 or 8 weeks before the street date to meet replication deadlines, and sometimes (actually, almost all the time lol) that date hits with the bugfix list at only like 96%; that final 4% will be fixed during the interim between GMC date and release date, and viola you get a 70gig Day 1 patch.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Well, I only intend to play MS flight simulator unless something really stands out to me.

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:28 pm

Witcher 3?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:37 pm

I never have issues with my Xbox or Xbox Live. Yinz are doing something wrong.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:46 pm

Witcher 3?
:thumb:

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Well, I only intend to play MS flight simulator unless something really stands out to me.
Is there a release date for that yet?

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:17 am

I've read "early next year", which I'm hoping means Q1. No set date as of yet, and I believe it's being released for Windows 10 before Xbox One.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:47 am

I've read "early next year", which I'm hoping means Q1. No set date as of yet, and I believe it's being released for Windows 10 before Xbox One.
Heh in Video game speak that means it's going to be delayed and will be lucky to be out by late 2020. :lol:

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:59 am

Don't do that to me, skull. I've been waiting for this game for literally a decade.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:26 am

Elite Dangerous continues to be just about the only game I play...Flying around in a spaceship trading/bounty hunting/exploring/aliens/PvP with access to 400 billion star systems.
This looks right up my alley, but I'm reading a lot of reviews saying that it's a very steep learning curve to get going, and you have to take a lot of notes. Is that at all accurate? I just want to relax and fly around space, possibly shoot a few things and enjoy it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 am

Witcher 3?
I know this is going to sound dumb, and I"m okay with that. Do I need to play 1 and 2 in order to understand 3, or is it a stand alone story line?

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:44 am

Witcher 3?
I know this is going to sound dumb, and I"m okay with that. Do I need to play 1 and 2 in order to understand 3, or is it a stand alone story line?
1 and 2 obviously provide more backstory on the characters; that said, I did not play 1 and 2 first and I greatly enjoyed 3. There are hints to what has happened in the previous games, but it's a pretty standalone story.

count2infinity

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:46 am

Many thanks... I recall Slappy saying how much fun that game was too, so I'll probably give it a go.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:30 am

This looks right up my alley, but I'm reading a lot of reviews saying that it's a very steep learning curve to get going, and you have to take a lot of notes. Is that at all accurate? I just want to relax and fly around space, possibly shoot a few things and enjoy it.
They revamped the new player experience this year....it’s less of a learning curve than MS flight simulator.