Home Improvement Thread

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:11 pm

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal at all, and certainly better than paying rent.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:15 pm

What's probably going to happen is we are going to go see the house we like... we are going to put in an offer and be in it before the end of the year and carry two mortgages until our house sales because both my wife and I are crazy and that is how we roll.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:18 pm

For me, it's worth it if that's going to be your 'forever' home and checks all of the boxes. I was prepared to do everything necessary for our house - including paying full price and asking for no seller assist when the market was such that sellers were throwing piles of cash to buyers.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:21 pm

For me, it's worth it if that's going to be your 'forever' home and checks all of the boxes. I was prepared to do everything necessary for our house - including paying full price and asking for no seller assist when the market was such that sellers were throwing piles of cash to buyers.
We basically have one house that checks all the boxes minus the fenced in yard for the dog, and is sitting at a good price. It's been up for about 60 days and just had an open house. My thoughts is its going to sell soon after this open house. We have two others that we both like alot, and then about 5 or so that we want to see, but not in love with. If the first one goes soon then I think that changes our plan a bit to wait unless something else we really love hits the market.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:27 pm

what's a general percentage for fees if you're selling a home? I know 6% typically for the agents but I've heard 10% in total with other bs, true?

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:04 pm

Spent a good part of the last 3 days painting to freshen up things before we put our house up for sale. I forgot how much I loathed the prep-work in painting.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:28 pm

Most sellers pay between 1-4%; I've never heard of anyone spending more than that, personally.

skull: My wife finished painting the final room in our house last weekend, eight years after moving in. :lol:

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:30 pm

what's a general percentage for fees if you're selling a home? I know 6% typically for the agents but I've heard 10% in total with other bs, true?
Nothing is set with regards fees other than the agent's ask and usually around 1% for deed transfer. Everything else is fixed cost.

It's been a few years since I sold my home, so I can't give a decent answer on what those costs would be.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Most sellers pay between 1-4%; I've never heard of anyone spending more than that, personally.

skull: My wife finished painting the final room in our house last weekend, eight years after moving in. :lol:
My wife loves to paint. She also loves weird colors. Yellow accent wall in the living room, two greenish walls in the dining room...two teal colored walls in the office. Takes a few coats to cover up those colors haha.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:24 pm

We're definitely going to repaint our daughter's bathroom. I hate it, and my daughter doesn't much care for it, either. Like you said, though, painting is fine, but it's the tedious prep work that makes me hate the entire idea.

AuthorTony

Home Improvement Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:29 pm

I put in tongue and groove pine a while ago. I know it's not for most folks, but I never have to paint again. And it's glorious.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:36 pm

Last winter I painted our bedroom, which took almost 3 gallons of paint. This winter I was planning on tackling our living room/kitchen which should be even more epic. There is no obvious way to separate the rooms by paint, so it has to all be done at once with the same paint. My wife and I are horrible at not only determining what basic color we want, but which shade, etc. My wife has already started thinking we also need to paint the cabinets, change the floor, get new countertops in the kitchen, add a backsplash, etc.

Therefore I will not be painting the living room/kitchen this winter. And I'm OK with that.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Last winter I painted our bedroom, which took almost 3 gallons of paint. This winter I was planning on tackling our living room/kitchen which should be even more epic. There is no obvious way to separate the rooms by paint, so it has to all be done at once with the same paint. My wife and I are horrible at not only determining what basic color we want, but which shade, etc. My wife has already started thinking we also need to paint the cabinets, change the floor, get new countertops in the kitchen, add a backsplash, etc.
We were in a similar boat with our kitchen/hallway/etc. due to the open concept of the house. We chose a color that worked in the kitchen and hallway, and wound up running it all the way up the stairs and ending at the top. It actually worked out nicely.

The last thing we want to do is the kitchen flooring, but since I basically want to both tile it and run heating in the floor (undecided on hot water pex in the basement or an electric grid), I know it'll cost more than I'm willing to spend. And the area is far too big for me to consider spending the time to tile it myself.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:46 pm

We were in a similar boat with our kitchen/hallway/etc. due to the open concept of the house. We chose a color that worked in the kitchen and hallway, and wound up running it all the way up the stairs and ending at the top. It actually worked out nicely.

The last thing we want to do is the kitchen flooring, but since I basically want to both tile it and run heating in the floor (undecided on hot water pex in the basement or an electric grid), I know it'll cost more than I'm willing to spend. And the area is far too big for me to consider spending the time to tile it myself.
In almost the same exact boat, especially with the heated floor. Eventually I want to finish our basement as well, and heated flooring is something I've considered. If I had a million dollars....

Our pastors just had an addition built on their daughter's home for them to retire. Ran the hot water pex and so far they said it works great. The only issue is the timing - takes forever to get up to temperature, and forever to cool back down. This time of year and in mid to late spring would not be ideal.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Paint is such a "get what you pay for" thing.

If you buy the 20 dollar a gallon stuff from home depot, you're gonna need 2-3 coats.
If you buy the 75 a gallon stuff from sherwin williams (which they almost monthly offer at 40% off) you can get away with one coat. Of course if you're going from dark green to lavender, YMMV.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:00 pm

I put in tongue and groove pine a while ago. I know it's not for most folks, but I never have to paint again. And it's glorious.
What is it like living inside a sauna?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Yeah, I’d probably go the electric route for those reasons alone. The benefit of that route for me would be that I could add it right now myself, without the need for a contractor, since I have full access to the joists from my basement. The systems are stupid easy to install.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:11 pm

If you buy the 20 dollar a gallon stuff from home depot, you're gonna need 2-3 coats.
If you buy the 75 a gallon stuff from sherwin williams (which they almost monthly offer at 40% off) you can get away with one coat. Of course if you're going from dark green to lavender, YMMV.
I used Sherwin Williams but still needed 2 coats.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Yeah, I’d probably go the electric route for those reasons alone. The benefit of that route for me would be that I could add it right now myself, without the need for a contractor, since I have full access to the joists from my basement. The systems are stupid easy to install.
Same here. It's going to be quite a few years down the road before I finish my basement. The kids love playing hockey/matchbox cars down there now, so finishing it would be dumb. If #3 is a boy, I may never finish it as I'll be close to retired before he graduates high school.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:15 pm

85% of our house was painted with Valspar, 10% Baer, and 5% SW (HGTV labeled). The latter will never be used in our house again, as it was the worst paint I have ever used. I can only assume that SW subbed it out to Bob’s Paint Company or something.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Same here. It's going to be quite a few years down the road before I finish my basement. The kids love playing hockey/matchbox cars down there now, so finishing it would be dumb. If #3 is a boy, I may never finish it as I'll be close to retired before he graduates high school.
I have no intention of ever finishing it. We use it for storage, the utilities, and our cat’s litter boxes. If we were short on space on the other two floors, maybe, but I like having it bare. It definitely comes in handy when I decide to run Ethernet, Romex, etc. through the house for something.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:24 pm

I have no intention of ever finishing it. We use it for storage, the utilities, and our cat’s litter boxes. If we were short on space on the other two floors, maybe, but I like having it bare. It definitely comes in handy when I decide to run Ethernet, Romex, etc. through the house for something.
I envision having a kickass theater system down there someday. Would be the only reason to finish it. And with access to the joists, I can run whatever I want through the ceiling and walls first, then finish it.

Actually, it would be fine if I did that now without finishing it. There's a cheap vinyl floor the previous owners put down, and I'd only have to add a bathroom to make it workable. Doesn't get too cold in the winter and stays pretty cool in the summer.

And if we ever get a cat again or a dog, it is a great place for their schtuff.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm

I used Sherwin Williams but still needed 2 coats.
Which line? I used Cashmere all through my house and was 1 coat only (after using Loxon primer). I still had almost $2,000 in paint alone though.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:54 pm

85% of our house was painted with Valspar, 10% Baer, and 5% SW (HGTV labeled). The latter will never be used in our house again, as it was the worst paint I have ever used. I can only assume that SW subbed it out to Bob’s Paint Company or something.
Yeah, that's their "sell it at lowes" line of paint so I'd say it's very cheaply made.

The Loxon primer I used was almost $200 for a 5 gallon bucket, but it helped so much on the fresh plaster.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:56 pm

If I ever finished my basement (and it's a toss up if I'll do that or just build a garage-man cave) I'd probably go the 'industrial' look and paint the ceiling black, leaving everything exposed. I like the look, I'm already at 9 foot ceilings, and I'd still have access to everything. I couldn't imagine putting drywall on a basement ceiling, and suspended ceilings look like poop.