Comedy and Humor

shmenguin

Comedy and Humor

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:00 am

i'd reckon the audience of a typical urban center comedy club is going to lean progressive. so it's not so much that conservatives and comedy don't mix. i think it's just harder right now to rise the ranks if you alienate both your audience and your peers. it seems like a pretty insular community which doesn't allow for much flexibility in where you are on the political spectrum.

NTP66

Comedy and Humor

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 am

Source of the post A list was provided that included Jeff goddamn Dunham and Rob Schneider.
Whoa whoa whoa. To be clear, my list was not of funny conservative comedians, just comedians who are conservative.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Comedy and Humor

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:20 am

I feel like when we're talking about "Conservative comedians" its comedians who just happen to be right leaning politically. When we say "liberal comedians" usually their actual material deals with politics. Like why Chappelle's grabbed so much attention. It dealt with political humor like normal, but as the critics showed us, the humor went in the wrong direction and they weren't happy.

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:35 pm

I actually liked Dunham for about six months. And then we went to see him at the Mellon Arena (why, I don't know) and I realized that he just recycled the same material over, and over, and over again. The first couple times I saw him the novelty was entertaining, but his act got stale verrrrry quickly.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Comedy and Humor

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:03 pm

I feel like when we're talking about "Conservative comedians" its comedians who just happen to be right leaning politically. When we say "liberal comedians" usually their actual material deals with politics. Like why Chappelle's grabbed so much attention. It dealt with political humor like normal, but as the critics showed us, the humor went in the wrong direction and they weren't happy.
For me, I don't think it was due to him going "the wrong direction"... he's done bits before that don't toe the political line in the liberal way that I've found hilarious. This special just wasn't all that funny.

shmenguin

Comedy and Humor

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:17 pm

i think america needed and continues to need to hear call for loosening our collective sphincters. chappelle is a good messenger, so i'm ok sacrificing some yucks so that someone who's respected across several aisles can make a good point.

so if chappelle veers away from stand up and into spoken word, i'm ok with it. maybe this wasn't as funny as his other stuff, but i think it was just as good.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Comedy and Humor

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:19 pm

I believe most/all comedians would agree that we need to calm the f*ck down when it comes to this kind of stuff.

And as with most comedy/entertainment, to each their own, and shmenguin and I disagree as usual on this stuff, so all is right in the world.

blackjack68

Comedy and Humor

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:17 pm

i think america needed and continues to need to hear call for loosening our collective sphincters. chappelle is a good messenger, so i'm ok sacrificing some yucks so that someone who's respected across several aisles can make a good point.

so if chappelle veers away from stand up and into spoken word, i'm ok with it. maybe this wasn't as funny as his other stuff, but i think it was just as good.
That is 100% where I am with this.

Dickie Dunn

Comedy and Humor

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:54 pm

I actually liked Dunham for about six months. And then we went to see him at the Mellon Arena (why, I don't know) and I realized that he just recycled the same material over, and over, and over again. The first couple times I saw him the novelty was entertaining, but his act got stale verrrrry quickly.
We saw Dunham last year for free. The crowd was pretty much what you would expect. The populous of the counties surrounding Allegheny made the trek into the city for that one.

NTP66

Comedy and Humor

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:42 pm

For those in my neck of the woods, Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood’s “Scared Scriptless” is going to be back in town in Easton, Pa on November 16th. I’ve already seen the show once, and may go to this one, as well. It’s hilarious.

https://statetheatre.org/events/colin-m ... sherwood-4

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:15 am

For those in my neck of the woods, Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood’s “Scared Scriptless” is going to be back in town in Easton, Pa on November 16th. I’ve already seen the show once, and may go to this one, as well. It’s hilarious.

Nice! I saw Jim Gaffigan in Easton just before he got huge.

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:15 am

Nice! I saw Jim Gaffigan in Easton just before he got huge.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Comedy and Humor

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Bert was pretty funny tonight.

Tomas

Comedy and Humor

Postby Tomas » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Just discovered a guy named Gary Gulman. Some of his jokes are among the most perfectly-crafted masterpieces out there.

Here is (free) link to one of his more recent 1-hour special "In This Economy?"

https://tubitv.com/movies/327696/gary_g ... is_economy

(HBO just had his very last special on the topic of the extreme depression he has apparently suffered with his whole life!)

robbiestoupe

Comedy and Humor

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Source of the post Gary Gulman
Wasn't he on Last Comic Standing?

NTP66

Comedy and Humor

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Yep. I knew that name sounded familiar.

dodint

Comedy and Humor

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Season 3 finale of Crashing was fun. Emo Phillips sighting.

Tomas

Comedy and Humor

Postby Tomas » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Mike Birbiglia - The New One (Broadway play recording via Netflix):

https://www.netflix.com/title/81062293

I *love* Mike Birbiglia's plays, and "My girlfriend's boyfriend" is probably my all-time favorite stand-up now. "The new one" is right on par with that. Originally, I was a little worried that in terms of structure, it will just copy "Boyfriend", that is, he gives X reasons for why marriage is stupid/irrational, and by the end of the play he ends up married (with "marriage" replaced by "a kid"). And yes, he goes through those reasons - luckily only during the first 20(?) minutes. But then he ends up talking about all the anxieties/worries associated with having a kid at a relatively older age - and the end product is much better than any of the countless sitcoms that tried to do the same. Being an old(er :) ) father of young kids myself, I found the play really awesome.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Comedy and Humor

Postby iamjs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:25 pm

That is really a good deal, if you think about it. You're really seeing a dozen different comics for the price of one.
I sure hope he tells the story of how he got involved with the Russian mob when he was in college.
Can't wait to see him tell other people's jokes.

Dickie Dunn

Comedy and Humor

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:35 pm

I had no idea he was still active. Dude dropped off the face of the planet. Hope he saved that Mind of Mencia money.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Comedy and Humor

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:55 am

New Segura special is hilarious

tifosi77

Comedy and Humor

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 am

Missed that Mencia post when it was current. He's awful. I hope he gets dick COVID after eating bad fish sticks.

tifosi77

Comedy and Humor

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:05 am

In other news, Mrs Tif and I have just gone down the John Mulaney rabbit hole, and we quite like where we've found ourselves.

NTP66

Comedy and Humor

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:47 am

In other news, Mrs Tif and I have just gone down the John Mulaney rabbit hole, and we quite like where we've found ourselves.
We tried getting into one of his most recent specials, but just couldn't.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Comedy and Humor

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 am

He looks like he lost like 100 pounds.