Non Political Current Events Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:44 pm

We like people not getting shot. Even for the cop haters here, I’d say they agree that the everyday cop doesn’t deserve to be gunned down.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 pm

I am told the everyday cops enable the bad apples, so they're all complicit. Plant grow of the highest stakes, or something.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 pm

By who?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Shyster mostly, tbh.

I have to ignore everything I know about my cop friends I talk to daily to really believe it, but Shyster seems really adamant about it, so...

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Just merge the threads already...

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Philly being Philly
Residents harass & throw objects at @PhillyPolice responding to active shooting
https://t.co/XhuokmoP37

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:47 pm

I am told the everyday cops enable the bad apples, so they're all complicit. Plant grow of the highest stakes, or something.
"Good" cops who see bad cops do bad things and don't report it because "thin blue line" are not good cops.

That does not justify violence against any police officer.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:22 pm

I think the more compelling thing is that a cause, but not the proximate cause, of this is the war on drugs. Can't get shot as a narc cop if there is no narcotics division, amirite?

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:49 pm

I think the more compelling thing is that a cause, but not the proximate cause, of this is the war on drugs. Can't get shot as a narc cop if there is no narcotics division, amirite?
Not sure if serious, or what your point is? This particular incident (and many others) certainly would never have occurred had they not been there on a drug warrant.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 am

A serious sentiment stated flippantly. I hadn't noticed you said the same thing in the other thread or I wouldn't have mentioned it. The War On Drugs both breeds contempt and acts as the catalyst for these kinds of things. No real good comes of it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:21 am

Woof, yeah, no reason for me to be in North Philly. So I'm alive...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:54 am

Jesus. Just read the perp was shooting through the ceiling to the second floor where two cops AND 3 handcuffed people were (I’m assuming who were his boys)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:00 am

Jesus. Just read the perp was shooting through the ceiling to the second floor where two cops AND 3 handcuffed people were (I’m assuming who were his boys)
Yeah, it was a pretty insane scene. I listened to the police radio when they first had officers down, it was wild.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am

Yeah, it was a pretty insane scene. I listened to the police radio when they first had officers down, it was wild.
Not to make light of this....but just imagine what the F was going through the minds of the handcuffed dudes

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:11 am

A serious sentiment stated flippantly. I hadn't noticed you said the same thing in the other thread or I wouldn't have mentioned it. The War On Drugs both breeds contempt and acts as the catalyst for these kinds of things. No real good comes of it.
Yes, and the war on drugs extends beyond just bad policing. Bad local policy, bad small time prosecutors, and bad judges.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:16 pm

https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/pol ... d-friends/
FRIEDENS, SOMERSET COUNTY, Pa. (WTAJ) –State Police have filed charges on a Somerset County couple who faked a pregnancy, birth, and death to get money from friends and family.

Kaycee Lang, 32, and Geoffrey Lang, 27, are charged with faking a pregnancy and birth of a child, then setting up a GoFundMe account to help with expenses for the death of the reported fake baby.

The GoFundMe is reported to have gone live in early July.
@AuthorTony

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:16 pm

That scheme is far too advanced for a Somerset native. They had to have had outside help.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:17 pm

I'm going to have to figure out where they live. They could be my neighbors.

Edit: They apparently live in a trailer court about a mile from my house.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Yes, and the war on drugs extends beyond just bad policing. Bad local policy, bad small time prosecutors, and bad judges.

While there were problems with policing prior to the ramp-up of the "war on drugs" under the Nixon administration (particular in regard to interactions between the police and minority communities), the drug war massively accelerated the disconnect between the police and the general public. A “war” creates an “us versus them” attitude, and when the combatants in the war are the people living in your own neighborhoods, the police are driven towards a position where “us” is the police themselves and “them” is everyone else. I certainly deplore the actions of individual bad cops who do bad things, but that is not as serious as the systemic concentration of increasingly militarized police behind their “thin blue line.” That is not something the police did all by themselves. They were encouraged—if not driven—into that position by politicians.

Sir Robert Peel, who spearheaded the creation of the London Metropolitan Police Service (popularly known as “Scotland Yard”) is widely considered the father of modern professional policing, and under his leadership the London police developed the concept of “policing by consent” (as opposed to policing by force). The concept has been distilled down to the following nine principles. These principles represent a social contract for police behavior. When police follow this social contract, then more than a century of experience indicates that society (excluding the hardened criminal element) will generally view the police as legitimate and consent to the presence and role of the police in the community.
1. To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.

2. To recognize always that the power of the police to fulfil their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.

3. To recognize always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing co-operation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.

4. To recognize always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.

5. To seek and preserve public favor, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humor, and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.

6. To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public co-operation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective.

7. To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

8. To recognize always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary, of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty.

9. To recognize always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.

How many here think today’s militarized police consistently adhere to these principles? I certainly don’t. The main premise underlying the whole modern concept of policing is found in Principle 7: “the police are the public and that the public are the police.” Today's police sure don’t act like that. The “thin blue line” crap is directly contrary to that principle. The “no snitching” code of silence when it comes to police misconduct directly violates that principle. And today's police regularly violate other principles, such as treating people impartially, resorting only to minimum necessary force, and refraining from taking punishment into their own hands.

When the police don’t hold up their end of the social contract, then the public starts to view the police as less of a consented-to entity and more of an oppressing/occupying force. When we saw yesterday the people in Philly throwing both insults and objects at the cops, we were seeing that community withdrawing its consent to be policed. Is the blame for that 100% on the police? No, of course not. But if the police don't stop violating their end of the social contract, then no one should be surprised at the pushback they receive, and if we keep on the current course, it's only going to get worse. Policing is broken.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Trailer court? Would've never guessed that.

PrinceOfRossTownship

Postby PrinceOfRossTownship » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:37 pm

That scheme is far too advanced for a Somerset native. They had to have had outside help.
Maybe Jose Tabata is already broke?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 pm

She deleted her Facebook page, but this backwoods dipsht apparently couldn't figure out how to do it. A ton of people are commenting on his wall, it's entertaining.

https://www.facebook.com/geoffrey.lang.31

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:30 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

Pretty interesting article on the dearth of health care workers for the elderly and the impact it's having in some states. And it's only going to get much, much worse.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm

My wee university was practical begged by a regional hospital chain to start a nursing program, giving us facilities, equipment, and potentially an endowed Dean's position (i.e. pay a large amount of the Dean of the nursing school's salary). The other regional hospital chain got wind of this and may throw more money at us. It will take two years, if all goes well, for it to launch...and then another four to graduate our first class.

That's at the mid-level of the health service industry, and the road for med techs and caretakers is far worse.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:59 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A controversial protest is planned Friday night in North Philadelphia to support Maurice Hill, the alleged gunman accused of shooting six Philadelphia police officers. Organizers say they expect 200 to 300 people to rally tonight.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross says police will be there too.

“Sadly, we do have to be there, I don’t understand it. There’s certain marches I do understand, this is definitely not one of them,” Ross said.

Hill is still in jail right now while he waits to be arraigned.

Crowd Taunts Philadelphia Police Officers, Laugh At Them In Midst Of Gunfire During Standoff In Nicetown-Tioga

Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner said Thursday Hill will most likely face charges of attempted murder and aggravated assault, among others.

Investigators Remove AR-15, Begin Processing Home Where Gunman Opened Fire On Police In Nicetown-Tioga

“There will be a lot of charges. These are more than enough charges so that Mr. Maurice Hill may never exit jail,” Krasner said.

All six police officers suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were released from the hospital Wednesday night.
Dafuq are they going to be protesting?