no stupid questions thread

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:52 pm

I feel like more than a few pizza places that I've gotten take out from had fries in a greasy, increasingly-see-through bag, no?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:53 pm

If the only place you're getting fries in a greasy, increasingly-see-through bag is a pizza place, you're doing it wrong...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Probably. It's a "normal food" related topic...I'm out of my element...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:23 pm

The only time I’ve eaten bag fries is when I’m at Five Guys

I guess it’s a Pittsburgh thing?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Are we talking about fries where the serving vessel for the fries is a paper bag, or are we talking about the loose fries at often end up in the bottom of the bigger takeout bag?

In terms of serving the fries themselves in a bag, IIRC at least some of the small fries from common fast-food places come in a paper bag and not a cardboard sleeve. In particular, don't McDonald's small fries come in little white paper bags?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Ah my bad, it might be the latter

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Are we talking about fries where the serving vessel for the fries is a paper bag, or are we talking about the loose fries at often end up in the bottom of the bigger takeout bag?

In terms of serving the fries themselves in a bag, IIRC at least some of the small fries from common fast-food places come in a paper bag and not a cardboard sleeve. In particular, don't McDonald's small fries come in little white paper bags?
As a fat guy, allow me to rule on this... by definition “bag fries” are fries that have fallen out of their original serving container, be it cardboard or paper, and rest at the bottom of the takeout bag. They are best because they are unexpected fries.

And yes, McDonalds small fries are in a white paper bag.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:56 am

All McDonalds fries belong in a bag of the trash variety.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 am

I was referring to the latter.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:57 am

Two questions:

1. Best method for buying a couch? Furniture store? Internet? Wife won't do used, so keep that in mind.
2. How do you dispose of a couch? It's broken past the point where we could sell it.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:16 am

#1 - good luck. it took us quite a few stores plus going back and forth on what type of couch we wanted before we settled.

#2 - how bad? you'd be surprised what people will take for free on craigslist

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:22 am

I think we found what we want at the first furniture store we went to, so that was kind of nice. Going to go and try a few other places out before we pull the trigger. I don't want to order a random couch online and then it be uncomfortable. I want my butt in it first before we buy.

It's bad. We bought it from Value City in 2013, and it was holding up well until we adopted our most recent dog. Dude was a nervous wreck for about a year and a half, and his only safe haven was the couch. He tore it up to the point where the springs are starting to show through on his favorite spot. Now that he's settled in, we're looking to replace the couch.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:33 am

Two questions:

2. How do you dispose of a couch? It's broken past the point where we could sell it.
put it on the curb and call sanitation to come get it. that or take it to the dump yourself.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:35 am

Two questions:

1. Best method for buying a couch? Furniture store? Internet? Wife won't do used, so keep that in mind.
1. has to be in person for me, I can't go blindly into something like that knowing I'll be spending several years napping and relaxing. What if it's not very comfortable?
2. Our weekly garbage collection will take furniture, we can just toss it in the front yard (and if it's in decent shape, it will probably be gone by morning by someone dumpster dogging).

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:13 am

I would negotiate removal of the couch as part of the price, especially if they are delivering. Also check and see if the place you're buying the couch from or another furniture store in the area does like a furniture bank for those in need. We have a local store that does that, so I'm thinking in the SC area, you would be able to find someone who would come and take it or where you could take it to. I know you said it's broken but it might be better than what others in need have.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:15 am

You could also see if some college kid wants a free couch.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:42 am

Drag it out into the street and burn it like a MSU fan...

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 am

Two questions:

1. has to be in person for me, I can't go blindly into something like that knowing I'll be spending several years napping and relaxing. What if it's not very comfortable?
2. Our weekly garbage collection will take furniture, we can just toss it in the front yard (and if it's in decent shape, it will probably be gone by morning by someone dumpster dogging).
Ditto on both.

We tried at least 50 couches before we found the right one for us. (We ended up at Mealey's and they ended up negotiating down from their sale price because I told them that I had it narrowed down to that set vs. one at Ashley furniture.)

Our trash service also takes couches so it was no problem. Call your local public works office and ask if they have a pick up for furniture.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:27 am

We have two local charities that will take furniture donations, and Habitat ReSale will actually pick it up at your house (Goodwill does drop-off only).

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:28 am

you could sell it on facebook marketplace easily

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks for the advise all... I think we have a La-Z-Boy picked out that was really comfortable. Now it's just getting it at the right price.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:18 pm

The vast majority of furniture in our house is hand-me-down furniture from my in-laws and their friends :lol: And I love it all. We've just never spent a bunch of money on a nice furniture set.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks for the advise all... I think we have a La-Z-Boy picked out that was really comfortable. Now it's just getting it at the right price.
Our sofa and loveseat are both from La-Z-Boy, and we couldn't be happier. They had the most comfortable furniture, and the quality is solid. We pass one on the way to Target every Sunday, and they always have between 20-30% off sales.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:16 pm

How much room to you normally get on furniture store negotiations? I've never purchased anything directly from an in-person furniture store...I love to haggle, so I'm curious about this venue...

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:26 pm

I'd love to use the sentence, "throw in free delivery and furniture removal and you've got a deal..."