Restaurant Recommendations

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:20 am

huh

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:05 am

Tried Pidgeon Bagel yesterday. We had to wait in line for 20 minutes, which was likely just due to it being new, but it was really good. just crazy that it was apparently a novel concept to put a bagel shop in squirrel hill.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:13 pm

My wife was in Manhattan Saturday night seeing Moulin Rouge, and Sunday morning she stopped at Ess-A-Bagel to pick up a baker's dozen before she took the train back. I'm in heaven...so good.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:18 pm

Tried Pidgeon Bagel yesterday. We had to wait in line for 20 minutes, which was likely just due to it being new, but it was really good. just crazy that it was apparently a novel concept to put a bagel shop in squirrel hill.
I saw that the bagels are something like $2.10 or $2.50 each. IYO is this too expensive for a bagel? at first glance I thought this was too expensive, then I thought about it and it didn't seem so bad....for example, a crossaint at madeline bakery in regent square is $3.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:23 pm

I can't remember the last time I bought a dozen bagel, I saw they are $21 for a dozen from there. I would not like to pay that for a dozen bagels. But if I were just getting a bagel by itself, I would say that $2 is reasonable. They are on the larger side, so they aren't like those little canadian bagels where you could eat more than 1 bagel in a sitting.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:25 pm

But yes, if you are a cost-conscious bagel shopper that probably isn't your spot. Unless you enjoy the ambiance of waiting in a long line where 8 oddly shaped hipsters stare at the customers while one is essentially tasked with getting all the customer orders out.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Holy hell, that is expensive for a bagel. By comparison, my wife picked up a baker's dozen at one of the best bagel bakeries in Manhattan yesterday for $17. I would never pay $2+ for a Pittsburgh bagel.

Wegman's actually makes pretty good bagels and they are just under $10 for a dozen.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:50 am

My wife was in Manhattan Saturday night seeing Moulin Rouge, and Sunday morning she stopped at Ess-A-Bagel to pick up a baker's dozen before she took the train back. I'm in heaven...so good.
best bagels in the world. have waited over an hour there before and totally worth the wait

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:58 am

best bagels in the world. have waited over an hour there before and totally worth the wait
:thumb:

My man.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:38 pm

@slappybrown come out of hiding and tell me what's good at Little Italy Days this weekend.

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:51 pm

gabagool

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 pm

@slappybrown come out of hiding and tell me what's good at Little Italy Days this weekend.
Dodint, hello.

Go to the Donatellis or Lombardozzis stands they have on the avenue outside their respective storefronts and you’re good to go.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks!

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 am

Anyone been back to dish yet

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Lombardozzis
Good call, my man. Thanks!

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:33 pm

Glad you liked it.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:07 am

Anyone have any recommendations near the st college area to eat? @count2infinity @shafnutz05 ?

Wife and I are heading to the Penn State Creamery today and two other near by (hour drive) ice cream places to finish up the Western PA ice cream trail today and we are going to need to eat something other than ice cream at some point during the day haha.

I'm debating on if I should wear Pitt gear. lol. My wife advises against it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:16 am

Unrelated but Coal Miners Cafe in Jennerstown is sold, old owners stepping away after this weekend. I imagine the new owners will be making changes. I ate there about once a year but always enjoyed it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Anyone have any recommendations near the st college area to eat? count2infinity shafnutz05 ?

Wife and I are heading to the Penn State Creamery today and two other near by (hour drive) ice cream places to finish up the Western PA ice cream trail today and we are going to need to eat something other than ice cream at some point during the day haha.

Is one of the other places The Meadows in Hollidaysburg?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Anyone have any recommendations near the st college area to eat? count2infinity ?

You realize that it’s move in weekend, yes? This place is going to be a mad house.

That said, I’ve given some advice on a place to eat here previously. I’ll find it and quote it here in a sec.

If it doesn’t include places in the surrounding area: I’m heading to the hublersburg inn tonight for dinner. There’s elk creek cafe and shy bear in lewistown as well.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Any suggestions for good food in state college?
Brew pubs:
-Otto's
Fantastic food, and the beer is good depending on what you get. They hit more than they miss. They also have my absolute favorite dish in State College. They smoke chicken thighs, then fry them to get the skin crispy and serve them with a side of buffalo sauce (the sweet and spicy garlic is my favorite), blue cheese, and celery. They're incredible.

-Happy Valley Brewing
Beer is coming along, but if you don't get the short rib nachos, don't bother as their food is trying to be a lot better than it actually is.

Bars:
-Champs
Go to the one on North Atherton, not the one downtown. Huge tap list and the food is pretty good too.

-Local Whiskey
Every whiskey you can think of, decent beer list. Has a really small food list, but the chicken sandwich is worth it.

-Zeno's
Pretty much if you just want to drink and hang out. It's a really cool basement bar.

Chinese:
-Little Szechuan
If you're a fan of southern chinese food, this is your place. The hot pots are awesome (I recommend the fish). Mapo tofu is delicious. And they have an eggplant casserole that is mindblowingly good.

-Big Bowl Noodle House
More Taiwanese than anything else. But if that's your jam, go here. It's cash only, so make sure you bring cash.

Pizza:
Don't bother, the pizza in State College sucks.

Mexican:
-Plaza Mexican Bar & Grill
This is the only place to go for great mexican food. Their margaritas aren't anything to write home about, but the food makes up for it. If you like spicy, be sure to ask for the habanaro hot sauce. It's a delicious homemade hot sauce that for whatever reason, they don't advertise that they have. Also, the table side guac is really cool. They bring over a cart and make it right in front of you.

-Mad Mex
It is what it is.

Breakfast:
-Irvings
Has the best bagels in town, and the breakfast sandwich is really good.

-Naked Egg
A bit outside state college, but best breakfast joint by a mile. The coffee bar makes a mean latte too.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:33 pm

https://m.yelp.com/biz/spruce-creek-tavern-spruce-creek

This place is between State College and Altoona in the middle of nowhere but the wings and fries are top notch.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Anyone have any recommendations near the st college area to eat? count2infinity ?

You realize that it’s move in weekend, yes? This place is going to be a mad house.

That said, I’ve given some advice on a place to eat here previously. I’ll find it and quote it here in a sec.

If it doesn’t include places in the surrounding area: I’m heading to the hublersburg inn tonight for dinner. There’s elk creek cafe and shy bear in lewistown as well.
Yeah didn't realize it was move in weekend....it was crazy. We had to park at a garage on bigler I think somewhere and make a mile or so trek to the creamery. Was worth it though ....best ice cream we had among any of the 9 stops we made. Got to walk around and through the campus and it's actually a pretty nice place.

We stopped at ritcheys dairy then stocks dairy on the way back in Martinsburg to hit all 3 places in the area in one day. We actually didn't even stop for regular food as we were both stuffed from all the ice cream we ate lol.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Anyone have any recommendations near the st college area to eat? count2infinity shafnutz05 ?

Is one of the other places The Meadows in Hollidaysburg?
These were the places. We did the western PA one.

https://visitpa.com/2019-pursue-your-sc ... ream-trail

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:26 pm

https://m.yelp.com/biz/spruce-creek-tavern-spruce-creek

This place is between State College and Altoona in the middle of nowhere but the wings and fries are top notch.
Hell yes! This place is a hidden gem. Fresh cut fries to die for. Jimmy Carter was known to describe this as one of his favorite places to eat, as he fished often right along Spruce Creek near there.