Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:52 pm

And really, if you want to go putting Menendez with Trump as if the smoking guns in these stories are of the same caliber, go for it. It’s right on brand.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:56 pm

And really, if you want to go putting Menendez with Trump as if the smoking guns in these stories are of the same caliber, go for it. It’s right on brand.
You’re right. Comparing Menendez to trump is definitely a worse comparison than comparing the Trump administration to Nazi Germany.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:58 pm

It's not hard to see why you have such a problem with that, which isn't my problem. Stop crying as if anything has happened to you.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:01 pm

It's not hard to see why you have such a problem with that, which isn't my problem. Stop crying as if anything has happened to you.
I have a problem with that comparison because I have the ability of rational thought.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:11 pm

No, conservatives are not bereft of empathy, and no, conservatives are not "hiding behind" the view that "they broke the law." This issue is practically a textbook example of the moral foundations theory at work. Liberals (like shmenguin) accuse conservatives of being inhumane and treating people like animals. That is absolutely the care/harm foundation at work. Liberals overwhelmingly make decisions on the care/harm and fairness/cheating foundations, so anything that causes them to observe the pain and discomfort of others sets them off because it sets off the care/harm foundation. Conservatives respond by focusing on the fact that the people in those detention facilities are there because they broke the law, which is absolutely the authority/subversion foundation at work. Conservatives do also follow the care/harm foundation, but instead of the overriding consideration of that foundation like liberals experience, conservatives balance their view of care/harm against the other foundations, including authority/subversion. Thus, conservatives generally care a lot more about "they broke the law" than liberals do.

Also, conservatives and liberals have different views of the fairness/cheating foundation. Liberals view fairness as people being treated equally—that is, circumstances are "fair" when everyone gets the exact same treatment. Conservatives view fairness as proportionality—that is, circumstances are "fair" when everyone gets what they "deserve." Thus, liberals would view the detention facilities are being unfair because those people are being treated differently than others. Conservatives are more likely to view the detention facilities are fair because the people in those facilities are in there (for the most part) due to their own voluntary decisions.

Neither side is right. Neither side is wrong. Both sides are making principled decisions based on their own views of morality. And if you disagree, go buy a copy of The Righteous Mind, read it, and then revisit the issue.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Who gives a **** what lefty and righty think? Let the kids have a god damn shower.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:19 pm

Who gives a **** what lefty and righty think? Let the kids have a god damn shower.
Yep.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:10 am

The original photo wasn't even a concentration camp, was it? Pretty certain it's a POW camp as all of those behind the fence are wearing military attire.
It's a concentration camp in Minsk where both Soviet POWs and Jews were held, and killed.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:27 am

No, conservatives are not bereft of empathy, and no, conservatives are not "hiding behind" the view that "they broke the law." This issue is practically a textbook example of the moral foundations theory at work. Liberals (like shmenguin) accuse conservatives of being inhumane and treating people like animals. That is absolutely the care/harm foundation at work. Liberals overwhelmingly make decisions on the care/harm and fairness/cheating foundations, so anything that causes them to observe the pain and discomfort of others sets them off because it sets off the care/harm foundation. Conservatives respond by focusing on the fact that the people in those detention facilities are there because they broke the law, which is absolutely the authority/subversion foundation at work. Conservatives do also follow the care/harm foundation, but instead of the overriding consideration of that foundation like liberals experience, conservatives balance their view of care/harm against the other foundations, including authority/subversion. Thus, conservatives generally care a lot more about "they broke the law" than liberals do.

Also, conservatives and liberals have different views of the fairness/cheating foundation. Liberals view fairness as people being treated equally—that is, circumstances are "fair" when everyone gets the exact same treatment. Conservatives view fairness as proportionality—that is, circumstances are "fair" when everyone gets what they "deserve." Thus, liberals would view the detention facilities are being unfair because those people are being treated differently than others. Conservatives are more likely to view the detention facilities are fair because the people in those facilities are in there (for the most part) due to their own voluntary decisions.

Neither side is right. Neither side is wrong. Both sides are making principled decisions based on their own views of morality. And if you disagree, go buy a copy of The Righteous Mind, read it, and then revisit the issue.
Well said.

And if anyone cares, put me in the conservative corner.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:20 am

Major power outage in Manhattan last night, including the MSG.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/major-power- ... -west-side

Honestly, stuff like this always makes me think about what would happen if the power grid ever got shut down. It is a terrifying thought, no doubt.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 am

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks, Gaucho! I'd never seen that photo before.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks, Gaucho! I'd never seen that photo before.
https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/himmle ... ance-1941/

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 am

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
All of them born in America (save Omar, who was was born in Somalia) . That dadhole is going to get them killed.
Last edited by crusherstasiak on Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:51 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:56 am

Congresswoman trying to influence how country is run. This is a hot scoop.

malkintent

Postby malkintent » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 am

Just more white nationalist talking points from the definitely not a racist.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:50 am

What is interesting is that Trump is lambasting the congresswomen for trying to change the system, while changing the system (aka draining the swamp!) was one of his biggest campaign promises. I guess it's okay to want to change the system when you're 1%, old, white guy.

Edit: I can't stand AOC, Omar, etc. so I'm not sticking up for them or their shenanigans either.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:51 am

I really don’t even know what to say about this one. Dude is a racist piece of **** and this country will be a better place once he no longer had a say in how it operates.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:02 am

I was told he wasn't racist though

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Also, conservatives and liberals have different views of the fairness/cheating foundation. Liberals view fairness as people being treated equally—that is, circumstances are "fair" when everyone gets the exact same treatment. Conservatives view fairness as proportionality—that is, circumstances are "fair" when everyone gets what they "deserve."
In my mind, this is a distinction without difference. Everyone deserves fairness.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Waiting for people to tell me on this board that it’s no big deal

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:49 pm

I was told he wasn't racist though
From who? Most in here believe he is at least somewhat racist.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Waiting for people to tell me on this board that it’s no big deal
Sure he shouldn’t be doing it, but I’m not going to shed a tear that a racist pile of **** is being racist to an anti-Semitic dadhole.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Ilhan Omar isn't the only Congresswoman he's referencing.