Restaurant Recommendations

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:56 pm

While I do believe that a sketchy health inspection report adds some Mexican authenticity to a taco, Las Palmas Oakland is gross. Brookline, Beechview, Washington, Oakland is your Las Palmas hierarchy. La Catrina in Beechview was delicious and served all kinds of authentic Mexican food but they're just a truck now. Alquisiras Paleteria in Beechview also serves a bunch of stuff but their homemade popsicles are the stars of the show. Second best tacos in the Pittsburgh area are at La Poblanita in Coraopolis. Place is clean and the food is extremely good. Lengua is always on the menu and tripas are added to the menu on weekends.

Edgar's is fine but he uses trash tortillas. Las Palmas and La Poblanita use El Milagro tortillas, which are the best tortillas money can buy. I don't know what it is, but places around here that make their own tortillas make shitty ones. Much too dense and usually bland. Tako is overpriced hipster bullshit. Condado doesn't even offer god damn soft corn tortillas. The place is bullshit and should go **** itself straight to hell. The tortillas at Bakersfield aren't the best, but they make a good, more traditional taco but it really shouldn't even matter because their torta milanesa is the best thing on the menu and what you should be ordering anyways. Caasa Reyna is too god damn expensive. La Palapa is good but I prefer their other offerings to their tacos.

The biggest takeaway from the list is **** Condado the place is trash.
La Poblanita in the Mall at Robinson closed recently and I am mucho sad.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Condado was good, imo. Tasty food but it loses points for the environment being cramped and loud.

I think DD is genuine and I appreciate that; but in reading his past and current criticisms I have presumed that he's coming from a place where he's more experienced in the culture and seeking something more authentic. I'm a German/Slovak guy married to an Italian woman looking for something tasty to stick in my face during my lunch time. Without the cultural hangups all that is left is some goofy tacos I made to order that happen to taste really good.

Happy to have both Condado and Bakersfield within one block of work. :)

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Speaking of Mexican food, El Campesino opens their Waterfront location tomorrow. I know there are better options in the city, but that's going to be so damn convenient. I've missed Gran Agave dearly.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:28 pm

While I do believe that a sketchy health inspection report adds some Mexican authenticity to a taco, Las Palmas Oakland is gross. Brookline, Beechview, Washington, Oakland is your Las Palmas hierarchy. La Catrina in Beechview was delicious and served all kinds of authentic Mexican food but they're just a truck now. Alquisiras Paleteria in Beechview also serves a bunch of stuff but their homemade popsicles are the stars of the show. Second best tacos in the Pittsburgh area are at La Poblanita in Coraopolis. Place is clean and the food is extremely good. Lengua is always on the menu and tripas are added to the menu on weekends.

Edgar's is fine but he uses trash tortillas. Las Palmas and La Poblanita use El Milagro tortillas, which are the best tortillas money can buy. I don't know what it is, but places around here that make their own tortillas make shitty ones. Much too dense and usually bland. Tako is overpriced hipster bullshit. Condado doesn't even offer god damn soft corn tortillas. The place is bullshit and should go **** itself straight to hell. The tortillas at Bakersfield aren't the best, but they make a good, more traditional taco but it really shouldn't even matter because their torta milanesa is the best thing on the menu and what you should be ordering anyways. Caasa Reyna is too god damn expensive. La Palapa is good but I prefer their other offerings to their tacos.

The biggest takeaway from the list is **** Condado the place is trash.
La Poblanita in the Mall at Robinson closed recently and I am mucho sad.
The guy working at their original location said there would be days where the mall location would do less than $100 of business.
Condado was good, imo. Tasty food but it loses points for the environment being cramped and loud.

I think DD is genuine and I appreciate that; but in reading his past and current criticisms I have presumed that he's coming from a place where he's more experienced in the culture and seeking something more authentic. I'm a German/Slovak guy married to an Italian woman looking for something tasty to stick in my face during my lunch time. Without the cultural hangups all that is left is some goofy tacos I made to order that happen to taste really good.

Happy to have both Condado and Bakersfield within one block of work. :)
Honestly, the biggest hang up with Condado is that I've never liked flour tortillas and it's too cramped and loud.
Speaking of Mexican food, El Campesino opens their Waterfront location tomorrow. I know there are better options in the city, but that's going to be so damn convenient. I've missed Gran Agave dearly.
Really liked Gran Agave. Stupid Primanti's.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:05 pm

The most unfortunate thing about Condado for me is that my work building looms right over it as the biggest feature out of all of the windows and I hate to think about work when I'm trying to get away from it.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Anyone have an opinion on Doce Taqueria? I see they're opening a new location on McKnight, which is my neck of the woods.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 am

Need some suggestions of places to eat in NYC around:

in or around Chelseas Market? johns of bleecker street worth it for the pizza?

around Museum of Moving Image which looks like is in the Astoria neighborhood?

lunch around central park/rockefeller plaza?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:43 am

There is no better sub (cold cuts) than a dibellas godfather with oil.
Catered DiBella's at work for lunch today. Godfather with oil in hand. It's a good day.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:55 am

One gentleman's preference for the godfather:

Regular bread
provolone
tomato, pickle, banana pepper
oil and vinegar
toast that ish

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:56 am

Ditto, but lose the pickles and add lettuce.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:24 pm

sub Mozz for Provolone you fake dago

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Source of the post sub Mozz for Provolone you fake dago
Mozz over provolone on a sub? GTFO here with that ****.

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Acceptable subs for mozzarella:

meatball.

/list

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Yeah, what Kane said.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:41 pm

also could use a suggestion around chinatown as that's where we are staying (right around Seward Park)

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:50 pm

There’s a taco place in Chelsea market we frequent that’s good. There’s a pretty cool cocktail bar called employees only (was voted best cocktail bar in the world at one time) near bleecker depending on where you are there’s. Empellon is two blocks away from employees only and very tasty. We go there every visit. They also opened another location near reockeffeler. Ess a bagel is a bit of a walk from Rockefeller but it’s rhe best bagel I’ve ver had

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:51 pm

That taco place in Chelsea Market is good

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Beauty and Essex is nearish Chinatown depending on where you go. Excellent brunch. Cool set up you have to walk through what looks like a consignment shop to get in the main restaurant

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Beauty and Essex is nearish Chinatown depending on where you go. Excellent brunch. Cool set up you have to walk through what looks like a consignment shop to get in the main restaurant
nice, that's 4 minutes from our place along with a cat parlor that you can drink coffee and play with cats.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Just did M&P reservations.
Looks like the price (and format) of M&P for two went up. Meh.

LITT

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:44 pm

nice, that's 4 minutes from our place along with a cat parlor that you can drink coffee and play with cats.
theres a nice whiskey bar nearby too - cooper and oak

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:07 pm

Checking out a Super Mario themed pop up bar near Market Square tonight. Should be a good time. 🍄

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:25 pm

Checking out a Super Mario themed pop up bar near Market Square tonight. Should be a good time. 🍄
Theme will be cool, cost will be laughable

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Theme will be cool, cost will be laughable
Bingo.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:13 am

Tried Stuff’d tonight, the “pierogi bar” downtown. Super disappointing. There are much better options for pierogis in the city. And much cheaper.

As disappointing as the pierogis were, the stuffed cabbage and haluski were downright gross. I’ll be stick to S&D in the strip or Forgotten Taste in Wexford.