Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm

We're nearly halfway through our "Operational Excellence" training (Lean, Six Sigma, etc.), and it's **** brutal.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm

I tried to become a colored belt in Six Sigma here...but the carpet got pulled out from under the guy who was the kung fu master...

It seemed like it was going to be shitty...but I'll never know...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 pm

My job in a nutshell

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 pm

My former employer is providing 3 months of free outplacement help. I was talking with my rep today, who mentioned the service can be put on hold for up to 59 days, and could be restarted.

She knows I've been looking since 2 days after I was let go. She said "A little break is ok. Gives you time to recharge". She's right, I am fried right now. May just take a week or 2 break.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:01 pm

HR just sent out an all-staff email reminding us of our dress code (business casual). For a company that rarely if ever has external customers in the building, a dress code is incredibly stupid. The execs are wondering why we can't attract young talent, well, that's one small reason why. I got pulled into the boss's office the other day because my shirt wasn't tucked in.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:08 pm

HR just sent out an all-staff email reminding us of our dress code (business casual). For a company that rarely if ever has external customers in the building, a dress code is incredibly stupid. The execs are wondering why we can't attract young talent, well, that's one small reason why. I got pulled into the boss's office the other day because my shirt wasn't tucked in.
Hah.

One of our head HR people wrote a strongly worded e-mail a few weeks ago about this. It was strongly worded and persuasively written because there is no actual dress code for civil service office workers. Most people do not know this, but if you parse his e-mail carefully you'll see lots of 'should' and arguments to adhering to vague standards.

I know we don't have one because the last place I worked had an employee that would wear shorts and a t-shirt (PC tech) and it drove the local leadership insane. I looked all over for written guidance and it just doesn't exist locally or with OPM. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Nice. Unfortunately ours is clearly stated in the handbook. But again, it makes no sense other than sticking to old school mentality that work = dress clothes. The dumbest part is the company has just spent a ridiculous amount of money completely renovating the office to a modern look with an open work space. They mimicked it after the Google offices. Meanwhile all of us will be in dress pants and button downs.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:22 pm

I work for a big company that has a history of being pretty stuffy. They learned a few years ago that it’s more important for their employees to dress comfortably than professionally. Not sure if this is a tactic to attract young talent or make people more willing to work 14 hour shifts at the office.

But regardless, we’re “casual”. Which means guys get to tuck their shirts into jeans any day they like (barf) and women get to wear whatever the **** they want. This is the one area in society where guys get the short end of the stick. Much less flexibility with what counts as “casual” or “business casual”.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Tucking things into jeans...? Are you an extra on the show Friends?

Not that I wear jeans more than a few times a year...but when I do, I'm certainly not tucking anything...

At my place, a place where no external customers are ever present, it's business casual...it was upheld for a while, but like most things involving leadership, it has eroded away with time...we have people here that just wear t-shirts, jeans that are torn up a little too close to the belt line, all kinds of ****...

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:31 pm

I wear dress pants, a dress shirt and tie, and a sport coat every day even though I don't have to. People dress far too casually these days, and a lot of people dress like absolute slobs. Looking professional is part of being professional.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:40 pm

I wear dress pants, a dress shirt and tie, and a sport coat every day even though I don't have to. People dress far too casually these days, and a lot of people dress like absolute slobs. Looking professional is part of being professional.
You are a lawyer though right?

I work in an office where I have no interaction with the customer or really anyone outside of my own team. There is no reason for me to wear a shirt and tie every day. Thankfully my company is lax. For one we aren't in the office Mon/Fri at all unless there is a reason to be. Tue-Thurs you can wear jeans and a polo or even a non collared shirt as long as its not some torn up tshirt.

Some people really up the food chain will wear khakis and a button down with a sports coat, or if they are going out on a trip to meet customers will obviously dress up.

I think it depends on the line of work, but as someone who has worked in IT for 15+ years now... there is no reason at least for the type of role that I'm in to dress up. It doesn't make me feel any more "professional" that is for sure. I'd rather be comfortable if I'm going to be holed up in my cube all day writing code or doing other things.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:24 pm

IMO, "customer's don't (or won't) see me" is not a reason to not dress professionally. I can go weeks between court appearances or face-to-face meetings with clients, and I still dress the same.

Personally, I really like the Japanese practice of having corporate uniforms. It's very common for even office-type businesses to have locker rooms where everyone has to change into mandatory uniforms. People who face customers get suit-like uniforms, techs get more casual uniforms, and warehouse workers and the like usually get coveralls or something similar. There are no arguments about whether someone is compliant with the dress code if uniforms are mandatory. Here are some examples:

http://www.spoon-tamago.com/2017/05/17/ ... -takizawa/

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:30 pm

No thanks, I like biz cas...I have creative enough fashion sense where I can express myself via clothing haha

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:50 pm

IMO, "customer's don't (or won't) see me" is not a reason to not dress professionally. I can go weeks between court appearances or face-to-face meetings with clients, and I still dress the same.

Personally, I really like the Japanese practice of having corporate uniforms. It's very common for even office-type businesses to have locker rooms where everyone has to change into mandatory uniforms. People who face customers get suit-like uniforms, techs get more casual uniforms, and warehouse workers and the like usually get coveralls or something similar. There are no arguments about whether someone is compliant with the dress code if uniforms are mandatory. Here are some examples:

Meh. Big no to that. I like to be comfortable.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Meh. Big no to that. I like to be comfortable.
Very much this. Those stuffy organizations with hard-lined and outdated rules can continue to struggle with the 21st century. I’ll be comfortable in my jeans and camp shirts where nobody cares because we’re not 85 years old.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Those stuffy organizations with hard-lined and outdated rules can continue to struggle with the 21st century. I’ll be comfortable in my jeans and camp shirts where nobody cares because we’re not 85 years old.
:thumb: but if you like to dress up by all means do.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Yeah, definitely. I have no issues with those who want to dress up themselves.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:50 pm

It was great going from business casual to straight casual. Do you really like dressing like a discount Kohl’s model everyday?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Dressing nice is like eating vegetables. I dont like it but i see the value in it. So i do it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:23 pm

What’s the value in it? Who decided that dressing “professionally” has any bearing on your performance?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:24 pm

Speaking of, work friend from Customer Service (who work across the hall) showed me an email they got saying, since it's our busy month and they want people to be comfortable, they get to wear jeans/casual for the rest off the month.

Our boss was CCed on that email. Guess who didn't forward that to the rest of us?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:36 pm

I’ve worn jeans to work every day for the past year? two years? There’s always the chance I’ll be on the shop floor or in the lab, and with that a good chance my clothes will rub up against something dirty.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:13 am

What’s the value in it? Who decided that dressing “professionally” has any bearing on your performance?
People who can demonstrate professionalism in one area will generally exhibit professionalism in other areas. Conversely, people who express sloppiness or carelessness in one area are more likely to be sloppy or careless in other areas. Professional dress also shows respect to your employer and to your coworkers.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 am

It's irrelevant to me, sounds like a them problem if they're getting stuffy over it.

Yeah I see what you mean.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:31 am

Sounds like Shyster’s issue is that he views anything other than slacks, a shirt, and a tie as “sloppy”. I don’t think any of us are talking about walking into work looking like Shaggy.