Game of Thrones Discussion

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed May 29, 2019 4:53 pm

I have a trip coming up with lots of long train rides, flights, and evenings on my own. A co-worker of mine has all the seasons downloaded and I'll be starting from the beginning with absolutely zero idea of the plot or any info about this show. I know there are dragons, I know there's nudity, and I know a bunch of people die, so I'm looking forward to it.
The books are much better than the show. The only problem is that they aren't finished and might never be finished.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm

I don't read for pleasure as it's too much work and not enough pleasure for me (dyslexic)... maybe if they were on audio, I'd take a listen.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Source of the post Backstory adds weight, not motivation.
Source of the post The source material establishes motive. Not stakes.
Now wait a minute.
Without waiting to speak for shmengy, I think we're talking about motivation from two different POVs. I think he's talking about it in the context of why is that dude at the bottom of that staircase at that moment in time. I'm talking about it in the context of what animates his decision making within the four walls of the scene. How the character gets there vs what they do when they're there. Relying on backstory is sufficient for the former, but it's lazy for the latter.

It's like coincidences in story.... totally okay to use a coincidence to get your hero into trouble, but it's super cheap to use one to get them out of trouble.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 29, 2019 5:34 pm

I have a trip coming up with lots of long train rides, flights, and evenings on my own. A co-worker of mine has all the seasons downloaded and I'll be starting from the beginning with absolutely zero idea of the plot or any info about this show. I know there are dragons, I know there's nudity, and I know a bunch of people die, so I'm looking forward to it.
you're the type of fella who isn't going to be pissed off the way that half the fan base is right now. i think you'll have a grand time.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed May 29, 2019 6:08 pm

plaints about character decisions just seem like jaded fans whereas you approach the situation as someone who has actually created stories and needed to conclude character arcs. It's a nice variance.
Thanks! I think my background has shown me, more than anything, how hard it can be to get characters from point A to B while feeling true to them, but also trying to keep the readers (in my case) happy. There are certainly things I'd have done differently on GoT, but I was satisfied with the overall story with the exception of a few nitpicks. I firmly believe if they'd doubled the episode count of the last season and kept the general story exactly the same, the audience would have been pleased. It was the rushing both of major plot points and of character arcs, that let down the viewers.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:53 pm

I don't read for pleasure as it's too much work and not enough pleasure for me (dyslexic)... maybe if they were on audio, I'd take a listen.
lol get the hell out of this thread man.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:18 pm

This was funny:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 29, 2019 9:07 pm

you're the type of fella who isn't going to be pissed off the way that half the fan base is right now. i think you'll have a grand time.
I think this was shmenguins way of calling you dumb

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 30, 2019 9:19 am

Roy Dotrice (RIP) is one of my favorite voice actors. He does all the books I believe.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu May 30, 2019 5:29 pm

I wonder when or if we get any words from D&D about the finale

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:06 pm

Probably when they start doing press for their next project, which might be Star Wars. Their HBO "What if the Confederacy won the Civil War" series has been backburnered.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 31, 2019 9:53 am

Probably when they start doing press for their next project, which might be Star Wars. Their HBO "What if the Confederacy won the Civil War" series has been backburnered.
Wasn't there a mockumentary about that? I think it was called Confederate States of America, and if I remember correctly, it sucked.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:26 pm

This is pretty amazing: working LEGO models of the GoT opening montage: https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/ ... dium=web2x

I would buy the hell out of a few of those. Braavos...Castle Black. :shock:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Braavos....holy sht. This guy is definitely a loner but I am damn impressed.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:48 pm

This is both awesome and a reminder of just how stupid and parody-like the final half hour of this series was.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Went to a restaurant in New Jersey today and my waitress looked like Sophie Turner. She said she's growing her hair to dress as her for halloween. :thumb:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:34 am

Went to a restaurant in New Jersey today and my waitress looked like Sophie Turner. She said she's growing her hair to dress as her for halloween. :thumb:
This would be a very good day in most people's books. Sophie Turner is quite pleasant to behold, and seems like someone you'd enjoy having a beer or six with.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:31 am

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 pm

What restaurant? North or South Jersey?

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:43 pm

What restaurant? North or South Jersey?
Cheescake Factory in the mall in the Dover area

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Meh, a bit north of me...of course she would be in the North.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:23 pm

An HBO show runner not doing a shortened season because it would have cheapened the show? I don’t believe it.

DAVID MILCH REJECTED HBO'S OFFER FOR A FOURTH SEASON.

Deadwood fans reeled when news of the show's cancelation came just ahead of its season three premiere in the spring of 2006. Common speculation has laid the blame at the feet of Milch's then-greenlit John From Cincinnati; however, Milch himself admitted HBO offered a six-episode order for season four. But he turned it down, saying, "For my part, I did not want to accept a short order. We couldn’t have done the work the way we wanted. I didn’t want to limp home. My old man used to say, ‘Never go anyplace where you’re only tolerated.’”

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Listening to my Daily Mix of film/tv scores on Spotify today and Ramin Djawadi's The Night King came on. It's so good it almost makes me forget how much hate season 8 got.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:25 pm

I have this suspicion...the way they left it with Bran is crazy ambiguous. The subtext screams that he has alterior motives, and is likely a vessel for the 3 eyed raven hive mind that is seeking to do nefarious things.

F’ers want a spin off, I bet.