Travel Thread

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 16, 2019 12:47 pm

:thumb:

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 pm

As long as they don't run out of the Bort license plates in the gift shop like the last time I was there.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon May 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Going to Charleston, SC next week for work. I know this town has some terrific restaurants so I'm declaring it a 'no chain' week. So who has some good recommendations? Best part -- I'll be on the corporate card all week so while cost is a slight concern, it's not a dealbreaker. Save the Asian recommendations as I'm not a fan but seafood is high on the list, especially at a coastal town.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Going to Charleston, SC next week for work. I know this town has some terrific restaurants so I'm declaring it a 'no chain' week. So who has some good recommendations? Best part -- I'll be on the corporate card all week so while cost is a slight concern, it's not a dealbreaker. Save the Asian recommendations as I'm not a fan but seafood is high on the list, especially at a coastal town.
100% go to Bowens Island Restaurant. Other than that, Fleet Landing, Hank's Seafood, Coda Del Pesce, Red's Ice House, Charleston Harbor Fish House, Morgan Creek Grill, Home Team BBQ, Halls Chophouse, Swig & Swine, Magnolias, FIG, The Palmetto Cafe, Oak Steakhouse, Husk, Kickin' Chicken, Pizzeria Di Giovanni, and Bojangles.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 pm

#ItsBoTime

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon May 20, 2019 10:30 pm

100% go to Bowens Island Restaurant. Other than that, Fleet Landing, Hank's Seafood, Coda Del Pesce, Red's Ice House, Charleston Harbor Fish House, Morgan Creek Grill, Home Team BBQ, Halls Chophouse, Swig & Swine, Magnolias, FIG, The Palmetto Cafe, Oak Steakhouse, Husk, Kickin' Chicken, Pizzeria Di Giovanni, and Bojangles.
Damn...nice list. I can spend this week checking those places out. Thanks. But Bojangles? Maybe a breakfast option unless you're not talking about the fast food chain.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Damn...nice list. I can spend this week checking those places out. Thanks. But Bojangles? Maybe a breakfast option unless you're not talking about the fast food chain.
Of course I’m talking about the fast food chain. There’s none up here, I’m constantly teased by their commercials on the ACC Network during Pitt Football Action, and I miss me some Booberry Biscuits.

You really can’t go wrong at any of the places listed. The city has a ton of great restaurants. Seafood in Charleston is great. Bowens Island is uniquely lowcountry Charleston. Magnolias is fancy, uppity southern. Kickin Chicken was the start of many good weekends. Husk is Sean Brock’s place. Etc. They’re all good. Do your research and enjoy.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:17 pm

If you like BBQ, you must go to Rodney Scott's BBQ either at the original location in Hemingway or on King Street.

https://rodneyscottsbbq.com/locations/

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 am

There is a Bojangles near Winchester, VA I think.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 am

The behind the scenes tour at the Georgia Aquarium is worth every penny.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 am

The behind the scenes tour at the Georgia Aquarium is worth every penny.

one of my friends is an animal care/trainer there. lately she's been caring for the penguins and puffins. her Facebook pictures are awesome!

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 am

There's been some familial discussion about heading to Atlanta for a Pirates game or two later this summer. Really need to get to this aquarium while we're there.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 am

It is sort of astonishing that they are able to keep juvenile whale sharks in captivity.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 am

There's been some familial discussion about heading to Atlanta for a Pirates game or two later this summer. Really need to get to this aquarium while we're there.
the tricky part about that is that the Braves stadium is no longer downtown so you have to make a decision, do you stay near the stadium or do you stay in an area with more than just 1 thing to do? the area around the GA Aquarium has World of Coke, CFB Hall of Fame, CNN Center, Center for Civil and Human Rights, MLK Center. the area around Sun Trust Park has.....Sun Trust Park.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 am

Yeah, that's right. I haven't been to the new field yet. Ugh.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Heading to Chicago this weekend. Going to a conference for work... Yes, on Memorial Day weekend. Wife and daughter are flying out with me and I'm getting two nights in a nice downtown Chicago hotel, so could be worse. Any food suggestions in the immediate area?

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue May 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Are you staying in Millennium Park?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:29 pm

The Purple Pig
Frontera Grill
Portillo's

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:32 pm

It is sort of astonishing that they are able to keep juvenile whale sharks in captivity.
FOUR of them, at that. The largest is 27 feet long and still has another 7+ feet to grow. The tank was designed to house six in total, but they are stopping at four.

I’ve been to nearly all of the top ranked aquariums in the country, and this is still #1 by a wide margin.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:34 pm

I'm partial to Monterey Bay Aquarium for what, if I'm honest, is mostly down to actual attendance reasons.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue May 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Ripley's in Gatlinburg if we're ranking by cost of entry.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm partial to Monterey Bay Aquarium for what, if I'm honest, is mostly down to actual attendance reasons.
I was so excited for that aquarium, but left underwhelmed. I think it was just hyped up a bit too much for me and my expectations were set too high. That said, it’s still a very nice aquarium.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:34 pm

I was so excited for that aquarium, but left underwhelmed. I think it was just hyped up a bit too much for me and my expectations were set too high. That said, it’s still a very nice aquarium.
What I appreciate most about Monterey are things you can't actually see much at the aquarium. Things like their research/conservation/animal rehab efforts, and their Seafood Watch program.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 pm

the tricky part about that is that the Braves stadium is no longer downtown so you have to make a decision, do you stay near the stadium or do you stay in an area with more than just 1 thing to do? the area around the GA Aquarium has World of Coke, CFB Hall of Fame, CNN Center, Center for Civil and Human Rights, MLK Center. the area around Sun Trust Park has.....Sun Trust Park.
Can check out the Braves webpage for transportation options from downtown. I'd think it would be better to be downtown for the other stuff and then navigate the public transportation system for a day to get to the ballpark.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Are you staying in Millennium Park?
Nah, the Courtyard on the Magnificent Mile.

On a separate note, I got an email today from the front desk manager thanking me for being an honored Titanium Elite member and that they are looking forward to my stay.

Now...I am Silver Elite but sure as hell not Titanium Elite :lol: So I did the only thing that makes sense...emailed her back and asked her if they have any free upgrades available :P