Game of Thrones Discussion

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 20, 2019 9:40 am

Bran's journey to becoming the 3ER: No impact on the final story.
Arya going through brutal training to learn to be faceless: No impact on the final story (except for Walder Frey's fan service death)
Jon's true parentage being revealed: No impact on the final story.

You see a theme here?
Not sure about that. The main reason they picked Bran was because he's the 3ER, no?
And Dany probably doesn't lose it if Jon didn't tell her he's the true heir.
Wasn't it like 2 episodes ago where Bran said he couldn't be a ruler because he's the 3ER?

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 20, 2019 9:41 am

good writeup that reflects a lot of feelings I had about it. Basically, things that once mattered, just don't anymore.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2019/05 ... r-stories/

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 20, 2019 10:32 am

What a huge mess this show wound up being

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon May 20, 2019 10:41 am

Tyrion: Jon Snow should be the rightful ruler. He deserves to be King. He's the rightful heir to the Iron Throne. He knows how to lead. He's the chosen one. The people love him. Convinces Jon to kill Dany.
Time to choose a King.
Tyrion: Bran
Benioff: "Tyrion kind of forgot about wanting Jon to be king."

I'm at least glad there was some payoff to the Tryion/Bran conversation back in Ep 2. But yeah, everything is/was just so rushed city that it's tough to feel all that satisfied about any of it. Also, strangely tidy wrap-up. I agree, everyone accepting Bran so quickly and unconditionally (and then no one, not even Yara, also asking for independence after Sansa did) felt odd, but again, there was no time to explore any fallout, which is a shame, as that's generally the best part of the show.

I'm actually fine with the Bran choice, but if this is the endgame they had in mind (and for quite some time, apparently), you would've thought they would've handled him a bit differently the past few seasons. Not so much as to tip their hand, but certainly more so than what was done.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 20, 2019 10:43 am

good writeup that reflects a lot of feelings I had about it. Basically, things that once mattered, just don't anymore.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2019/05 ... r-stories/
Good read. It definitely felt like more of a stop instead of an end, which is again probably a result of them wrongly deciding that 13 episodes would be enough to end this show. I still don't get how they came to that conclusion and HBO was okay with it.
What a huge mess this show wound up being
I obviously see it as less of a mess, but IMO the issues that exist again harken back to why GRRM has written one book in 14 years.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 20, 2019 10:43 am

I liked the quick pan of the sprout as Jon left the Wall; Winter is over
I thought about this some more. The wall will melt.. there is no more Night's Watch. Sorry, troy

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 20, 2019 10:50 am

I thought about this some more. The wall will melt.. there is no more Night's Watch. Sorry, troy
I said, that Jon will end up exiled to the Night's Watch or go live north of the wall with Tormund.

I was double right.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:51 am

:lol:
From what I'm seeing of the reaction to this final season, no one - from the showrunners to the cast to the writers to behind-the-camera talent to post-production crew - appears to have brought their give-a-sht A-game to close out what, up until a couple months ago, was a game-changing television production. Things like coffee cups and water bottles remaining on set during takes, that's as much on the cast as it is on the director and continuity team; on period sets you are often not even allowed to bring anything anachronistic to a part of the set that might be photographed. For something like this to happen multiple times in the final season is just head shakingly amateurish.

You have to wonder what was going through the cast's heads as they were delivered these final scripts. "Really? These are the words? This is how it ends? This is the last eight hours of the story?"

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon May 20, 2019 10:51 am

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 20, 2019 10:55 am

I said, that Jon will end up exiled to the Night's Watch or go live north of the wall with Tormund.

I was double right.
Lol

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 20, 2019 11:00 am

:lol:
From what I'm seeing of the reaction to this final season, no one - from the showrunners to the cast to the writers to behind-the-camera talent to post-production crew - appears to have brought their give-a-sht A-game to close out what, up until a couple months ago, was a game-changing television production. Things like coffee cups and water bottles remaining on set during takes, that's as much on the cast as it is on the director and continuity team; on period sets you are often not even allowed to bring anything anachronistic to a part of the set that might be photographed. For something like this to happen multiple times in the final season is just head shakingly amateurish.

You have to wonder what was going through the cast's heads as they were delivered these final scripts. "Really? These are the words? This is how it ends? This is the last eight hours of the story?"
Emilia Clarke, who looked banging last night, was less than pumped.
https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/19/game-thron ... ia-clarke/

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 20, 2019 11:01 am

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:17 am

Emilia Clarke, who looksed banging last night probably all the time, was less than pumped.
https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/19/game-thron ... ia-clarke/
:wink:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 20, 2019 11:27 am

This was largely fine, actually. But the bad stuff was just so incredibly bad that it's hard to really celebrate this as an acceptable finale.

Good:

Dany - Legit great job here, imo. The writing and acting showed us that what we saw last week was a complete and permanent psychotic break. They needed A+ stuff from Emilia Clarke to pull this off and they did it.

Jon - Also a great job here with both what he did and where he's off to. Him just noping out of Westeros is a pretty clever alternative to some sort of martyrdom.

Sansa - Fine. Whatever. Makes sense and I don't care.

Sam - Ditto...except I didn't know Maesters could rule over Pound Town.

Brienne - Nice scene. Good conclusion.

Spectacularly Terrible:

The dragon pit scene - LOLWAT...go get your shinebox, greyworm. The grownups are talking. Thanks for letting your treasonous prisoner have unilateral authority to craft the future of the realm, though. And what is even this voting. Robin and Royce both got a say? Did I see that?

The small council scene - For f***s sake.

Bran - I can't even.

Bronn - GTFO. This is truly the worst.

Tyrion - There's no way to watch this show and think he's qualified for an important job at this point.

Arya - So that's it then. I guess they had to make her kill the NK because they had f*** all for her to do otherwise this entire season. Good luck...exploring? That's your thing now? Ooooook then.

...And I don't really care about the politics of the realm. It's obviously silly that Winterfell can secede while everyone else is ruled by a Stark who just said he doesn't do politics. They had 5 minutes to craft a story here, since they had no foundation established for anything else. So we get this completely unsustainable resolution which is a powder keg for insurrection. But so be it. Tyrion has shitty ideas, so it's consistent with his character, at least.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 am

Bran's journey to becoming the 3ER: No impact on the final story.
Arya going through brutal training to learn to be faceless: No impact on the final story (except for Walder Frey's fan service death)
Jon's true parentage being revealed: No impact on the final story.

You see a theme here?
Not sure about that. The main reason they picked Bran was because he's the 3ER, no?
And Dany probably doesn't lose it if Jon didn't tell her he's the true heir.
And aryas training allowed her to kill the night king?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm

I thought young Robin looked great. All that breast milk does a body good.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:58 pm

No Howland Reed at that Lords of Westeros meeting, right? The big guy next to Royce on the end was an Umber, right?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:17 pm

No Howland Reed at that Lords of Westeros meeting, right? The big guy next to Royce on the end was an Umber, right?
I think so. Yeah, would have been a sensible time for Reed to make an appearance.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 pm

howland reed doesn't matter. it would have made as much sense for him to be there as hot pie. less so, arguably

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 pm

howland reed doesn't matter. it would have made as much sense for him to be there as hot pie. less so, arguably
Hah, I agree. I was just commenting the other day on the heady days of wondering if Howland Reed would reappear after the flashbacks.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon May 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Greyworm should have planned on killing Jon despite the deal that was made. Arya kills him and takes his face, gets the unsullied to leave happy, and then be like Jon’s all good. F yall

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:54 pm

AV Club always has a great review for these.

https://tv.avclub.com/in-the-end-game-o ... 1834879182
When Tyrion sits at the head of the Small Council table, the chairs are empty, but one by one they fill with familiar faces in exactly the roles you might have imagined for them. Look, there’s Samwell Tarly, now Grandmaester Tarly! Remember Bronn? Well, now he’s Master of Coin, and he’s prioritizing brothel reconstruction! If you were wondering about your old pal Davos, why he’s Master of Ships, of course! And if you thought anyone but Brienne of Tarth could be Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, you were probably logically imagining a somewhat less wish fulfillment-focused finale for the series. The truth is, in the wake of fan petitions angry that the writers didn’t deliver exactly what they wanted, this section of the finale felt like it was checking off what anyone emotionally attached to these characters would have wanted for them, right down to the knighting of Ser Podrick Payne for good measure.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 20, 2019 1:54 pm

I'd put the dragon pit scene up there for worst scene in the series. It was a complete mess with some truly terrible dialogue, though I will give a thumbs up to Edmure Tully taking his shot. You miss 100% of the ones you don't take, so good on you buddy.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Mon May 20, 2019 2:14 pm

I was happy to see Edmure again because he disappeared off the face of the planet for a bit.

What's the point of still having a Night's Watch again?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 pm

I was happy to see Edmure again because he disappeared off the face of the planet for a bit.

What's the point of still having a Night's Watch again?
I took it as there isn’t a nights watch. That is was just a ploy to get the haters to agree to Jon going there, which really was just a nod to him to let him go with the Wildlings