Politics And Current Events

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 am

I shall cast my lot with Michelle O. I thought it was a good analogy for capturing the unsettled feeling of disruption of the last couple years
The analogy makes sense and also disparages a large group of people.
This. It plays on a decades old stereotype so we all know what she meant by it and if you're anti-Trump you agree with the sentiment.
At the same time, it plays on a decades old stereotype that we have an entire thread on this board refuting. It's like when I take all three kids to the grocery store and little old ladies stop me to talk to me like I'm Superman. No ma'am, this is just what parenting in the 21st century looks like. The divorced Dad is loser who only wants to be their kids' best buddy trope needs to die by fire.

At the same time, isn't this what we always refer to as outrage culture? We're offended by everything.
And if some guy would say something along the lines of he had to take his car to the mechanic and the only one available was a woman he'd be raked over the coals.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:01 am

And if some guy would say something along the lines of he had to take his car to the mechanic and the only one available was a woman he'd be raked over the coals.
Would never happen, so.....

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:08 am

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/ ... 4257350657

Impressive...
I know grunty... I know. No one thinks fox news is credible and you can do the same thing with MSNBC.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:12 am

Re Michele Obama

The parents have absolutely nothing to do with the analogy. It's an insular statement about the experience of the kids in that situation, and the subjective quality of the parenting is almost incidental and irrelevant to the unsettlement and unwanted disquiet, and comparing that to the general sense of unfamiliarity of our discourse.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:19 am

This. It plays on a decades old stereotype so we all know what she meant by it and if you're anti-Trump you agree with the sentiment.
The ratio of single custodial parents mother:father is the same as it was in the early 90s. (roughly 80:20)

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am

Re Michele Obama

The parents have absolutely nothing to do with the analogy. It's an insular statement about the experience of the kids in that situation, and the subjective quality of the parenting is almost incidental and irrelevant to the unsettlement and unwanted disquiet, and comparing that to the general sense of unfamiliarity of our discourse.
you misspelled "her comment was kinda shtty"

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 am

I would have felt slighted by the comment (in a way that a random dude in the country can be slighted by the opinion of someone he doesn't regard very highly and will never meet) under normal conditions; but I'm taking Family Law this semester and studying case after case about horrible parents on both sides. We're also studying the systems bias and how despite legislative efforts the courts just are not steering away from that gender bias. Then you have this NTP66...

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 am

Everyone is "outraged!" :?:

Nice for us all to be on the same, angry, triggered team for once...

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 am

The ratio of single custodial parents mother:father is the same as it was in the early 90s. (roughly 80:20)
That has nothing to do with the stereotype of dad being a buffoon who lets his kid do anything.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:34 am

At the same time, isn't this what we always refer to as outrage culture? We're offended by everything.
I was wondering if anyone here would call this out.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:36 am

I mean, I made the initial comment last night and then completely forgot about it until about 15 minutes ago if that counts as outrage.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:52 am

I'm certainly not outraged by it. It was a dumb comment. I now go about the rest of my day.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:05 am

I mean, I made the initial comment last night and then completely forgot about it until about 15 minutes ago if that counts as outrage.
It wasn't directed at you. It's a thing on the internet where anyone that notices when the guy in the red tie says X and people complain, or when the chick in the pantsuit says Y and people complain...then that's "outrage"...it's based on brand loyalty, the "other guys" are always "outraged" as a way of trying to diminish and be dismissive of someone else's point of view and distracting from the point being made...

In this case, everyone seems to be at odds with the comment...so, I assume that we're all "outraged"...

It was a drive-by commentary on how ridiculous people sound when they engage their brand loyalty to political parties...

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:44 am

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 am

So this whole shipping detainees to sanctuary cities thing:
A) Democrats can say it's petty, and spiteful, but they can't be against it because they endlessly vouch for the well-being and goodness of the detainees. They can however demand increased funding to take care of the detainees, as they're now doing a portion of Homeland Security's job. Which in effect means Trump has to give them extra money after threatening them with pulling federal funds.
B) Trump's Administration is in a bad position, because he keeps saying there are rapists, thieves, ISIS members, etc in these groups. And he's now purposefully relocating them into areas that will make it harder to root them out and protect the country (if he's correct about the type of people coming). So the Law & Order President is actually making the country less safe just so he can be petty.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 pm

It wasn't directed at you. It's a thing on the internet where anyone that notices when the guy in the red tie says X and people complain, or when the chick in the pantsuit says Y and people complain...then that's "outrage"...it's based on brand loyalty, the "other guys" are always "outraged" as a way of trying to diminish and be dismissive of someone else's point of view and distracting from the point being made...

In this case, everyone seems to be at odds with the comment...so, I assume that we're all "outraged"...

It was a drive-by commentary on how ridiculous people sound when they engage their brand loyalty to political parties...
Are you threatening me BRO?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:14 pm

A) Democrats can say it's petty, and spiteful, but they can't be against it because they endlessly vouch for the well-being and goodness of the detainees. They can however demand increased funding to take care of the detainees, as they're now doing a portion of Homeland Security's job. Which in effect means Trump has to give them extra money after threatening them with pulling federal funds.
B) Trump's Administration is in a bad position, because he keeps saying there are rapists, thieves, ISIS members, etc in these groups. And he's now purposefully relocating them into areas that will make it harder to root them out and protect the country (if he's correct about the type of people coming). So the Law & Order President is actually making the country less safe just so he can be petty.
Peduto said he'd welcome them with terrible towels

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:20 pm

Are you threatening me BRO?
It's a promise!

(heh, got him!)

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:22 pm

to go along with B, he's also putting a free ad out there for more to come in and get a free trip to Chicago or wherever

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 pm

I think that the vast majority of us (except tif) just thought it was a dumb, cheap thing to say. I haven't thought about it since I visited this thread earlier, and I would never dream of going on social media and freaking out about it, boycotting stuff, etc. So agreed, I don't think any of us are 'outraged'.

CBear's post re: "21st century dadding" was on cue. I also can't imagine going through Family Law like dodint has been...that stuff has to be truly enraging, lol.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Whats the percentage chances that Trumps not talking out of his ass for the first time ever and actually goes through with shipping detainees all over the country? < 3%?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 pm

I also can't imagine going through Family Law like dodint has been...that stuff has to be truly enraging, lol.
I can't say that Iaw school has been an eye opening all enlightening undertaking. But, if I've learned anything at all during my time there it's "Do not go into divorce law or family law." :lol:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:47 pm

Denver-area schools are closed on Wednesday as authorities have launched a manhunt for a woman they say is dangerous and has made “credible threats” days before the 20th anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting.

Police are searching for 18-year-old Sol Pais who allegedly traveled from Miami to Colorado because she is “infatuated” with the school shooting, USA Today reported.

“This has become a massive manhunt,” said Dean Phillips, head of the Denver office of the FBI, during a Tuesday news conference.

Authorities described her as “armed” and “extremely dangerous” and said she flew from Florida on Monday night.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... infatuated
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sol-pa ... id=UE07DHP
Massive Colorado Manhunt Over, Sol Pais Is Dead

She gone.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Denver-area schools are closed on Wednesday as authorities have launched a manhunt for a woman they say is dangerous and has made “credible threats” days before the 20th anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting.

Police are searching for 18-year-old Sol Pais who allegedly traveled from Miami to Colorado because she is “infatuated” with the school shooting, USA Today reported.

“This has become a massive manhunt,” said Dean Phillips, head of the Denver office of the FBI, during a Tuesday news conference.

Authorities described her as “armed” and “extremely dangerous” and said she flew from Florida on Monday night.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... infatuated
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sol-pa ... id=UE07DHP
Massive Colorado Manhunt Over, Sol Pais Is Dead

She gone.
Umm..the article said she got taken into custody but the bolded part you highlight says she is dead.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 pm

They never said she got taken in alive...