Restaurant Recommendations

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:08 am

Any suggestions for good food in state college?
Brew pubs:
-Otto's
Fantastic food, and the beer is good depending on what you get. They hit more than they miss. They also have my absolute favorite dish in State College. They smoke chicken thighs, then fry them to get the skin crispy and serve them with a side of buffalo sauce (the sweet and spicy garlic is my favorite), blue cheese, and celery. They're incredible.

-Happy Valley Brewing
Beer is coming along, but if you don't get the short rib nachos, don't bother as their food is trying to be a lot better than it actually is.

Bars:
-Champs
Go to the one on North Atherton, not the one downtown. Huge tap list and the food is pretty good too.

-Local Whiskey
Every whiskey you can think of, decent beer list. Has a really small food list, but the chicken sandwich is worth it.

-Zeno's
Pretty much if you just want to drink and hang out. It's a really cool basement bar.

Chinese:
-Little Szechuan
If you're a fan of southern chinese food, this is your place. The hot pots are awesome (I recommend the fish). Mapo tofu is delicious. And they have an eggplant casserole that is mindblowingly good.

-Big Bowl Noodle House
More Taiwanese than anything else. But if that's your jam, go here. It's cash only, so make sure you bring cash.

Pizza:
Don't bother, the pizza in State College sucks.

Mexican:
-Plaza Mexican Bar & Grill
This is the only place to go for great mexican food. Their margaritas aren't anything to write home about, but the food makes up for it. If you like spicy, be sure to ask for the habanaro hot sauce. It's a delicious homemade hot sauce that for whatever reason, they don't advertise that they have. Also, the table side guac is really cool. They bring over a cart and make it right in front of you.

-Mad Mex
It is what it is.

Breakfast:
-Irvings
Has the best bagels in town, and the breakfast sandwich is really good.

-Naked Egg
A bit outside state college, but best breakfast joint by a mile. The coffee bar makes a mean latte too.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:16 am

much thanks.=

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:26 pm

Canyon pizza does not suck

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:26 pm

*I never ate it sober or in the daylight

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:31 pm

What's a decent place between the Doubletree and PPG to get a pregame meal and drinks?

Considering those two locations are only a block or so apart, there aren't many options that are physically between them.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:32 pm

The Marriott hotel restaurant is nice

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:29 pm

Any suggestions for good food in state college?
Brew pubs:
-Otto's
Fantastic food, and the beer is good depending on what you get. They hit more than they miss. They also have my absolute favorite dish in State College. They smoke chicken thighs, then fry them to get the skin crispy and serve them with a side of buffalo sauce (the sweet and spicy garlic is my favorite), blue cheese, and celery. They're incredible.

-Happy Valley Brewing
Beer is coming along, but if you don't get the short rib nachos, don't bother as their food is trying to be a lot better than it actually is.

Bars:
-Champs
Go to the one on North Atherton, not the one downtown. Huge tap list and the food is pretty good too.

-Local Whiskey
Every whiskey you can think of, decent beer list. Has a really small food list, but the chicken sandwich is worth it.

-Zeno's
Pretty much if you just want to drink and hang out. It's a really cool basement bar.

Chinese:
-Little Szechuan
If you're a fan of southern chinese food, this is your place. The hot pots are awesome (I recommend the fish). Mapo tofu is delicious. And they have an eggplant casserole that is mindblowingly good.

-Big Bowl Noodle House
More Taiwanese than anything else. But if that's your jam, go here. It's cash only, so make sure you bring cash.

Pizza:
Don't bother, the pizza in State College sucks.

Mexican:
-Plaza Mexican Bar & Grill
This is the only place to go for great mexican food. Their margaritas aren't anything to write home about, but the food makes up for it. If you like spicy, be sure to ask for the habanaro hot sauce. It's a delicious homemade hot sauce that for whatever reason, they don't advertise that they have. Also, the table side guac is really cool. They bring over a cart and make it right in front of you.

-Mad Mex
It is what it is.

Breakfast:
-Irvings
Has the best bagels in town, and the breakfast sandwich is really good.

-Naked Egg
A bit outside state college, but best breakfast joint by a mile. The coffee bar makes a mean latte too.
The reuben at champs is fantastic. Home D has a pretty good menu too and some of the beer they brew there is pretty good.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:48 pm

What's a decent place between the Doubletree and PPG to get a pregame meal and drinks?

Considering those two locations are only a block or so apart, there aren't many options that are physically between them.
I thought they were a little further apart :lol:
We will just hit milanos.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:38 am

the oaklander has a new rooftop restaurant - spirits and tales - adjacent to soldiers and sailors. pretty cool place. it is undersized. the food and cocktails were good. the hotel flow is weird - come in on ground, go to 10 to check in, go to room from there

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Not really a restaurant per se but I got a hot sausage sammy from Ricci's in Kennedy today and it was very good.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:19 am

Wingharts. I know it's getting a really bad wrap right now but I've never had a bad time there, on Market or in Greensburg.
They have been court ordered to vacate the Greensburg location because they haven't been paying rent. :|

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 am

thatll get ya

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:46 am

The reuben at champs is fantastic. Home D has a pretty good menu too and some of the beer they brew there is pretty good.
Agreed on the Reuben. Old New York also has a fantastic Reuben

The problem with home d is consistency... well, actually the lack there of. It’s always a gamble getting a beer they brew there. It’s either decent/good or wtf is this?!?

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:46 pm

the oaklander has a new rooftop restaurant - spirits and tales - adjacent to soldiers and sailors. pretty cool place. it is undersized. the food and cocktails were good. the hotel flow is weird - come in on ground, go to 10 to check in, go to room from there
It doesn't look like it has 10 floors. Huh, learned something new today.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:33 am

Eating lunch at The Mean Fiddler pub in Manhattan today. Reviews are good so looking forward

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Bars:
-Champs
Ha, I lived in an apartment complex off Vairo and we ordered delivery from Champs so often they learned our phone number. :scared:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Bars:
-Champs
Ha, I lived in an apartment complex off Vairo and we ordered delivery from Champs so often they learned our phone number. :scared:
You mean they eventually got caller ID?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:58 pm

Tif strikes me as a guy who would live over in Vairo area. :pop:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:15 pm

@MalkinIsMyHomeboy

I might go to Chatter for dinner Thursday. Can't make it for breakfast, sadly. Want me to pick you up a t-shirt?

LITT

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:17 am

Has anyone been to Alta via yet - new big burrito concept in fox chapel

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 pm

I took the Tifosi Challenge® tonight.

Ate at a Guy Fieri restaurant and made it back to my hotel without shitting myself. Next time I'm here I'm going to take the stairs so as to set a new high score.

LITT

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:04 am

Dish is back

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:18 am

Dish is back
So they just took a two year vacation and decided to get back at it?

LITT

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:25 am

I think when they “closed” they said they were taking a sabbatical

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed May 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Gonna check out Spork Pit BBQ tonight.