Travel Thread

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:24 am

The key difference is going to be the cost of flights. You should be able to fly into LAX for a decent amount less.

Edit: Sorry, keep forgetting that I fly out of PHL. It's cheaper to fly through SNA via PIT, apparently - and Delta isn't the cheapest. A combo of United/AA seems to be what's popping up the most of my search at the lowest fares.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:43 am

do you still use kayak or is that website defunct/old man territory?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 am

I only use AA.com, but if I wasn't going to fly AA, I'd be using Google Flights.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:46 am

I was thinking of random towns in PA today. What smaller towns in PA do yinz like to drive through/spend time in? I always thought Philipsburg was a beautiful town, I used to love driving through there on the way to the Clearfield Fair.

I like Saltsburg too.
Brookville, Gap and Ridgeway. Close by, I enjoy Sugar Creek, OH
Brookville is a good choice imo and one of the nicer downtowns in a PA county seat. Ridgeway is also surprisingly nice.

Other good choices:

Wellsboro
Tionesta/Tidioute

I know someone on 5af is from Williamsport. I spent an evening last summer in downtown Williamsport and it definitely seems like a lot of money is being put into downtown. it was fairly busy for a Thursday night.
:thumb: I was going to say Tionesta/Tidioute too. Put near, I guess I could say Warren has it's stretches downtown. Very nice neighborhood right outside of town. Old money.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am

Any thoughts on deep Creek Maryland for a quick weekend getaway at the end of March?
Kind of a strange weekend to go, but it depends on what you're into. It's fun in the summer and winter, but early spring? II'm sure there are hiking trails and other things, but I can't recollect much to do other than winter/summer stuff.
I agree it's not then normal time to go. Wife just wants to go somewhere out of the city for her B-Day weekend. We want to be able to drive down and back and just get away for a few days. I was looking for a bed and breakfast type place that had stuff to do in the immediate surrounding areas. We looked at Nemacolin, but a bit too rich for our blood for a weekend get away. We are going to Hawaii in September, so this is just a quick excursion/weekend thing.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am

The key difference is going to be the cost of flights. You should be able to fly into LAX for a decent amount less.

Edit: Sorry, keep forgetting that I fly out of PHL. It's cheaper to fly through SNA via PIT, apparently - and Delta isn't the cheapest. A combo of United/AA seems to be what's popping up the most of my search at the lowest fares.
appreciated. we booked ATL to SNA using a combo of cash and miles. overall schedule was better and multiple people have said that LAX isn'tr worth the hassle. also, we're going for a hockey tourney so we needed our 1 free Delta bag allowance. if SW went non-stop ATL to SNA we'd have been all over that but they don't :(

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 am

Any thoughts on deep Creek Maryland for a quick weekend getaway at the end of March?
Kind of a strange weekend to go, but it depends on what you're into. It's fun in the summer and winter, but early spring? II'm sure there are hiking trails and other things, but I can't recollect much to do other than winter/summer stuff.
I agree it's not then normal time to go. Wife just wants to go somewhere out of the city for her B-Day weekend. We want to be able to drive down and back and just get away for a few days. I was looking for a bed and breakfast type place that had stuff to do in the immediate surrounding areas. We looked at Nemacolin, but a bit too rich for our blood for a weekend get away. We are going to Hawaii in September, so this is just a quick excursion/weekend thing.
Deep Creek is a small town. We just drove through a couple weekends ago, and it looked rather dead. We're actually going in August, and have gone a couple times in the past few years, but only in the summer.

If you're into nature trails and hiking, check out the Dolly Sods in West Virginia. This is where we went when driving through Deep Creek. It should be inexpensive being the off season. Not too far away is Seneca Rocks, Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley...

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:54 pm

Gap
My man! I live in Gap. Have you visited the Town Clock Cheese Shoppe? Or Lapp Farm just up the road?
Cool, to my knowledge, I don't remember ever stopping there, but I have vivid memories of driving through when I was a kid every year on the way to Cape May and seeing the clock.
Ahh yes....good ol' Route 41. We go down 41 when we head to the OBX. @malkintent knows 41 very well, as my trip from our house to his house pretty much solely involves that road.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:33 pm

Looking at a little Euro trip this fall. Is Ryan Air like.. a thing? A safe thing? Can I really take a round trip flight from London to Edinburgh and back for $49, and live?

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Live? Yes. Live comfortably? Not so much. But that's a pretty short flight, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Be aware that if you have more luggage than maybe a Kleenex, you're paying more than $49.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Is it RyanAir that you have to pay the baggage fee when you book the ticket? And if you're changing planes, you have to collect your bag at the carousel and re-check it on the next flight. (No check-throughs.)

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Live? Yes. Live comfortably? Not so much. But that's a pretty short flight, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Be aware that if you have more luggage than maybe a Kleenex, you're paying more than $49.
I was hoping you'd see this. Thank you, shyster. I can live with uncomfortable for a $25 fare

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:26 pm

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:48 pm

word

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:03 pm

Ryanair is fine for short flights.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:25 pm

are there any airlines that aren't safe?

like, I'm not a fan of Spirit airlines or Frontier or whatever, but I don't see how an airline can still conduct business if there's a legitimate fear of safety on their planes

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Allegiant doesn't have a sterling reputation

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Can't wait to fly allegiant in July... :lol:

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Yeah I'll never fly Allegiant.
Steve Kroft: What do those reports say about Allegiant?
John Goglia: Well, just the service difficulty reports say that-- somebody's not paying attention.
Steve Kroft: You're a former member of the NTSB. Would you fly on an Allegiant plane?
John Goglia: I have encouraged my family, my friends and myself not to fly on Allegiant.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegiant- ... the-radar/

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Allegiant's negative reputation was largely due to their former fleet of very old MD-80 aircraft. As of last fall, all of those aircraft have been retired, and Allegiant now operates an all-Airbus fleet of A319s and A320s. A fair number of those Airbuses were originally bought used (as were all of those old MD-80s), but Allegiant has recently been taking delivery of new aircraft, and they will probably lean more toward new aircraft in the future. The average age of the old MD-80 fleet was 29 years, but the average age of the current fleet is now less than 13 years, so I would expect the current fleet to be much more reliable.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Yeah I'mma wait and see on that. You guys go head.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:16 pm

A lot of the carriers in central and western Asia are a bit dodgy.

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 pm

I was thinking of random towns in PA today. What smaller towns in PA do yinz like to drive through/spend time in? I always thought Philipsburg was a beautiful town, I used to love driving through there on the way to the Clearfield Fair.

I like Saltsburg too.
Brookville has a nice downtown. Plus if you're looking for wings, Dirty Ehrma's have some of the best. Philipsburg is trashy though. Bradford is a town that should definitely be gifted to New York.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 pm

I flew Tiger Air in Aus and it was a little sketchy. Looks like the entire fleet was grounded just after I left. Good stuff

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:35 pm

I like Saltsburg too.
Brookville has a nice downtown. Plus if you're looking for wings, Dirty Ehrma's have some of the best. Philipsburg is trashy though. Bradford is a town that should definitely be gifted to New York.
Haha, my family is from smethport so I have fond memories of the place, but I only visited and was able to leave after a weekend.