Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Happens constantly... that’s another false narrative perpetuated by social media. Just like everything, social media makes it seem like things are “more” than they actually are. This works for and against both extremes.

Well Covington and the Smollett thing were like 7 days apart. Both made nation wide news every single day. This wasnt like it was some hashtag that trended on social media for a few hours.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 pm

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1 ... 71072?s=21

???????????????????????????????????

Shad or NP to explain underlying video

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:46 pm

David Duke backs #Ilhan Omar in Elliott Abrams 'Zionist war criminal':
https://t.co/dfhsGvXeNG

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Happens constantly... that’s another false narrative perpetuated by social media. Just like everything, social media makes it seem like things are “more” than they actually are. This works for and against both extremes.

Well Covington and the Smollett thing were like 7 days apart. Both made nation wide news every single day. This wasnt like it was some hashtag that trended on social media for a few hours.
Ok. I’m not sure how that relates to my point.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 pm

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1 ... 71072?s=21

???????????????????????????????????

Shad or NP to explain underlying video

InB4 someone says "that is Shad and NP"

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Remember when Trump was a victim of an assassination attempt on the campaign trail? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:16 am

Virginia Democratic Candidate Apologizes to Jewish Community for Past Statements – Tablet Magazine
https://t.co/8o8kMzWaWg

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:20 am

Apology accepted. Now **** off.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 am

Virginia Democratic Candidate Apologizes to Jewish Community for Past Statements – Tablet Magazine
Coming so closely on the heels of Omar’s controversial statements, and following similar support for radical anti-Israel measures by Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.)—for whom Samirah served as a campaign official charged with getting out the vote—Samirah’s candidacy is further evidence of a fundamental sea change in Democratic party politics. “In one generation,” said Kyle Shideler, a scholar with the Middle East Forum think tank, “positions once viewed as radical—literally held up only by groups the U.S. government says were affiliated with Hamas—have now became mainstream and are presented totally without apology.”
This strikes to the heart of the issue. It should be concerning that just about every Islamic candidate that has been elected to Congress has ties to radicalism/anti-Semitism in varying degrees. Remember Keith Ellison's ties to the Nation of Islam and his defense of Farrakhan? Or his comparison of the 9/11 attacks to the Reichstag fire?

For a party that loves to talk about how much Republicans legitimize the far right, there is a disturbing trend in which radicals are being given a platform of influence in the Democratic Party. And while I don't think being Muslim should disqualify someone for running for Congress (freedom of religion 'n at), isn't it a little odd that so many Muslims that are being put into Congress have been so unabashedly extreme?

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:30 am

Being against Israel's policies certainly does not make one anti-Semitic. I would even argue that being against the very existence of Israel itself is not necessarily anti-Semitic.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:33 am

Being against Israel's policies certainly does not make one anti-Semitic. I would even argue that being against the very existence of Israel itself is not necessarily anti-Semitic.
No being against Israel’s policies isn’t anti-Semitic, being against isreal’s Policies and saying we only support them because of the American “J**” money is.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 am

But that's the point I've been making. I agree to some extent that criticism of Israel's policies is most certainly *not* anti-Semitic. However, every time people like Omar, Ellison, etc are called out for using rhetoric and language that goes beyond mere criticism of Israel, the old familiar fallback is "I don't have a problem with Jews, just Israel".

Do we really think that Ellison for example, with his ties to the Nation of Islam/Farrakhan, likes Jewish people but just dislikes the Israeli government? C'mon.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:38 am

Coming so closely on the heels of Omar’s controversial statements, and following similar support for radical anti-Israel measures by Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.)—for whom Samirah served as a campaign official charged with getting out the vote—Samirah’s candidacy is further evidence of a fundamental sea change in Democratic party politics. “In one generation,” said Kyle Shideler, a scholar with the Middle East Forum think tank, “positions once viewed as radical—literally held up only by groups the U.S. government says were affiliated with Hamas—have now became mainstream and are presented totally without apology.”
This strikes to the heart of the issue. It should be concerning that just about every Islamic candidate that has been elected to Congress has ties to radicalism/anti-Semitism in varying degrees. Remember Keith Ellison's ties to the Nation of Islam and his defense of Farrakhan? Or his comparison of the 9/11 attacks to the Reichstag fire?

For a party that loves to talk about how much Republicans legitimize the far right, there is a disturbing trend in which radicals are being given a platform of influence in the Democratic Party. And while I don't think being Muslim should disqualify someone for running for Congress (freedom of religion 'n at), isn't it a little odd that so many Muslims that are being put into Congress have been so unabashedly extreme?
So now you're insinuating they are Muslim extremists bent on jihad? :slug:

That's obviously a joke, but it's the kind of knee jerk you might get when questioning they're position. The Democratic Party sees themselves as an all welcoming, big tent party. The problem with being the big tent, is that you can get afraid of pissing people off, so you treat everyone with a D next to their name with kid gloves, for fear of being seen as alienating that section of the population. It allows a lot of individuals to hold a really looney position on an issue and not have to face consequences for it, for fear that you be deemed to be insulting their race, religion, gender, etc. I will admit for instance that while I wasn't a fan of Farrakhan before it wasn't until discourse here that I was exposed to full breadth of his rhetoric and how many politicians still accompanied the same circles as him.

Having said that, I think Shideler's comment is pretty far off base, that the Democratic party is suddenly a bunch of anti-semitics siding with Hamas. I think it's pretty far flung to say they're making up the platform of the party as well. There's obviously a position that a two-state solution would save lives, and that Israel hasn't done themselves any favors building settlements and continuing to provoke a response. It was either NP or Freddy who made the comment that it's still a whole lot better to be a minority in Israel than in to be the minority in any other Middle Eastern country, which is absolutely true. It's fine to tell them their actions need to better, and still acknowledge that they're breaking agreements and poking the kid beside them in class and feeling outraged when they get punched in the face. They shouldn't have been punched in the face, but you knew your actions were done with the intent of getting a reaction.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:41 am

Is it possible that Hamas and Israel are bad actors in Gaza?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:41 am

Do we really think that Ellison for example, with his ties to the Nation of Islam/Farrakhan, likes Jewish people but just dislikes the Israeli government? C'mon.
I went to a Catholic Church for 30 years and still identify as one, do I hate all gays?

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:42 am

But that's the point I've been making. I agree to some extent that criticism of Israel's policies is most certainly *not* anti-Semitic. However, every time people like Omar, Ellison, etc are called out for using rhetoric and language that goes beyond mere criticism of Israel, the old familiar fallback is "I don't have a problem with Jews, just Israel".

People who hear dog whistles in everything like its their life's work usually go completely deaf when it comes from that side.
Last edited by NailedPenguin on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:42 am

Do we also hate Omar for giving Abrams **** yesterday? It was great seeing the neocons reemerge to defend him.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:44 am

Wasn't Abrams wrapped up the Iran Contra fiasco?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 am

Wasn't Abrams wrapped up the Iran Contra fiasco?
Yeah, he was pardoned.

There's also this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Mozote_massacre

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:51 am

People who hear dog whistles in everything like its their life's work usually go completely deaf when it comes from that side.
There IS a difference between an American born white nationalist and a Palestinian refugee denouncing Israel...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:59 am

There IS a difference between an American born white nationalist and a Palestinian refugee denouncing Israel...
Holy oversimplification and narrative pushing, Batman!!!

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:02 am

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... at/582748/

While this does come off as though McCabe is a member of the decorum police as opposed to ex-FBI. His interactions with Trump are quite fascinating, showing the value of these guys's contemporaneous notes.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:04 am

CBear hates gays. Sad.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06 am

Do we also hate Omar for giving Abrams **** yesterday? It was great seeing the neocons reemerge to defend him.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 am

McCabe made up all that stuff about Trump because he was mad Hillary Lost.