Movie Thread

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:31 am

Watched escape from New York last night. Incredible movie all around. Dean Cundey had an awesome run with cinematography, but I can't help but wonder what happened with his career. Look through his bio, there is a sudden drop off in movie quality and there really isn't anything I could find out in the internet. What happened to this guy?

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0005678/

Sam's Drunk Dog

Movie Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:21 am

So we have had a horror movie with the premise that you can't talk or you die, and one with if you see you die. What sense is next? Smell?

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:07 am

"He Who Smelt It Dealt It... AND DIES"

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am

Set photo from 'Hobbs and Shaw'. I'm in.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:34 am

So we have had a horror movie with the premise that you can't talk or you die, and one with if you see you die. What sense is next? Smell?
In Jr high school, I wrote my masterpiece called doorknob: the movie. I was ahead of the curve. Some day man, some day

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:48 am

In Jr high school, I wrote my masterpiece called doorknob: the movie. I was ahead of the curve. Some day man, some day
I always wanted to make a horror movie called "The Stench" and the tagline would be: This movie really stinks.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Watched escape from New York last night. Incredible movie all around. Dean Cundey had an awesome run with cinematography, but I can't help but wonder what happened with his career. Look through his bio, there is a sudden drop off in movie quality and there really isn't anything I could find out in the internet. What happened to this guy?

Guy had (has) such a varied career; look at the types of movies and directors he's worked with. And he's photographed some of the most iconic shots in movie history. Carpenter, Spielberg, Zemeckis,

I think he deserves some kind of honorary Oscar just for the "It's a dinosaur" sequence in JP. (Actually, everyone involved in that little stretch deserves recognition, because everything comes together in that moment in a way that's just Movie Magic incarnate.)

And let us not forget Satan's Cheerleaders.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:19 pm

Guy had (has) such a varied career; look at the types of movies and directors he's worked with. And he's photographed some of the most iconic shots in movie history. Carpenter, Spielberg, Zemeckis,

I think he deserves some kind of honorary Oscar just for the "It's a dinosaur" sequence in JP. (Actually, everyone involved in that little stretch deserves recognition, because everything comes together in that moment in a way that's just Movie Magic incarnate.)

And let us not forget Satan's Cheerleaders.
Never forget. Any ideas on why he went from those one year to the next 20 years of Scooby Doo tv movies and commericals? I've read a lot of interviews with him and he's definitely an old school do it in front of the lens kind of guy. Just weird looking at that list and seeing the dramatic change.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 pm

This could be a Fast & Furious picture for all I know.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 pm

True. I have no idea what the movie is about, but I’m a big fan of all three of them, so I’m interested.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:20 am

It’s Official: Eddie Murphy Will Star In COMING TO AMERICA 2
Today's news, then, is something of a shock: according to Deadline, Murphy has signed on to headline a sequel to 1988's Coming to America. The film will be directed by Craig Brewer, who just finished working with Murphy on Netflix's Dolemite Is My Name, which is expected to arrive later this year.

What will Coming to America 2 be about? Deadline says:

"In the sequel, Akeem learns about a long lost son, and must return to America to meet his unlikely heir to the throne of Zamunda. The intention is to bring back the original cast which includes Arsenio Hall, who played the prince’s aide Semmi, Shari Headley, who was courted by the prince when he went undercover as a fast food worker, John Amos, who played her father, and James Earl Jones, who played the king."

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 am

TIL John Landis is only 68.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:08 am

isnt it a spinoff of the fast and furious franchise

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 am

isnt it a spinoff of the fast and furious franchise
Yes. Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel (and Tyrese) despise each other, so this was a way to keep the biggest movie star in the world in the fold while continuing the rest of the Fast & Furious universe.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:20 am

F&F? Hmm, I'm slightly less enthusiastic now.

Viva la Ben

Movie Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 am

Wait, Eddie Murphy has a Dolemite project on Netflix, wat?

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:06 am

Wait, Eddie Murphy has a Dolemite project on Netflix, wat?
Yes. It should be interesting. I listened to a lot of Rudy Ray Moore albums (CDs) back in college. Funny, funny dude.

Viva la Ben

Movie Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:17 am

The Dolemite movie was the inspiration of the late ODB’s catchphrase.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Yes. Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel (and Tyrese) despise each other, so this was a way to keep the biggest movie star in the world in the fold while continuing the rest of the Fast & Furious universe.
So Tyrese basically torpedoed his only source of income because he picked a beef with the highest-paid movie star on the planet? What a dummy. I remember that ridiculous rant he went on Instagram last year.

There's Vin/Rock acrimony too?

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:47 pm

So Tyrese basically torpedoed his only source of income because he picked a beef with the highest-paid movie star on the planet? What a dummy. I remember that ridiculous rant he went on Instagram last year.

There's Vin/Rock acrimony too?
It started with Vin and The Rock, notably Diesel not liking the notion that adding Johnson to the franchise saved it or increased it's fandom. Diesel started acting like a whiny dodint on set and got nonsense things like contractual guarantees of not losing a fight to Johnson. The end result was separating the two stars, Diesel sticking with F&F and Johnson getting his spinoff series with a now good guy Statham. Johnson being who he is and the star power he brings, his spinoff got prioritized over Fast and Furious 37, which is what set Tyrese (who needs child support money) on his looney ass rant.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Movie Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:51 pm

The Rock is the man, the other two can go kick rocks.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Watched Rampage last night on HBO Go. Was exactly what I expected, stupid but fun movie.

"We need to evacuate Chicago immediately!" gave me a hearty chuckle.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:17 pm

And this is why Diesel is so sad and salty.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Movie Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:19 pm

And this is why Diesel is so sad and salty.
The F&F movies went up in flames after Walker died...

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Pun?