Politics And Current Events

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Congratulations to all of our Mexican friends on National Independence Day. We will be doing great things together!

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:35 pm

https://nypost.com/2018/09/16/this-is-t ... ostitutes/
This is the first look at the US Border Patrol supervisor accused of murdering four prostitutes in a two-week Texas killing spree that only ended when a would-be fifth victim escaped and got help.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Grassley statement: "The committee vote on Judge Kavanaugh's nomination will proceed as scheduled, next Thurs. Here’s what we know: Judge Kavanaugh has undergone six FBI full-field investigations from 1993 to 2018. No such allegation resembling the anonymous claims ever surfaced"
https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeConchaTV/ ... 7463037953
I like how a polygraph test is being used to say... oh it’s true!!!!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:36 pm

A source familiar with the committee’s activities said that Feinstein’s staff initially conveyed to other Democratic members’ offices that the incident was too distant in the past to merit public discussion
https://mobile.twitter.com/McCormackJoh ... 7601024000

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 am

Kavanaugh is done. Doesn't matter if allegation is true, becauss no one actual cares if it is.
BREAKING: Lawyer for Kavanaugh accuser tells
@TODAYshow
Christine Ford is willing to testify publicly before the Senate Judiciary Cmte. Says Ford believes alleged attack was “attempted rape.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterAlexand ... 7525294080

And no one with any journalistic cache will ever ask Feinstein why she sat on an allegation of attempted rape for months. I'm generally surprised to find something wasn't on any of the Sunday shows this week.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:54 am

Kavanaugh is done. Doesn't matter if allegation is true, becauss no one actual cares if it is.
BREAKING: Lawyer for Kavanaugh accuser tells
@TODAYshow
Christine Ford is willing to testify publicly before the Senate Judiciary Cmte. Says Ford believes alleged attack was “attempted rape.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterAlexand ... 7525294080

And no one with any journalistic cache will ever ask Feinstein why she sat on an allegation of attempted rape for months. I'm generally surprised to find something wasn't on any of the Sunday shows this week.
Based on your prior post, it would seem like her office didn't think the issue should have been brought up in the hearing.

I'm guessing that once other dems learned of the allegation, they forced it to be publicized. I wouldn't be too worked up about politicians doing political things.

That said, this is the "sexy" reason for the Kavanaugh hearing to be in the public eye and getting the news folk to talk disparagingly of his potential nomination to the SC. His actions in the Bush administration and subsequent controversial hearing for his current position should be the reason he is not confirmed. Plus, there also needs to be some answers to why he was added to Trump's judges list and why his opinions of executive are so pronounced.

Bottom line, there were reasons McConnell didn't want Trump to pick this guy, he should probably withdraw, and Trump should pick a different Federalist list judge that is more of a judge and less of a GOP hard liner.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:05 am

Kavanaugh was on Romney's list. He has a perfect rating from the ABA.

We are talking about attempted rape here. Not high school philandering anymore.

Really think anyone with a conscience would think that crime is not important to bring up?

Kavanaugh is far more Roberts than Alito and is moderatr on abortion.

The Amy Barrett lady is faaaaaar more an abortion radical than Kavanaugh and she'll be up next.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 am

Of Christine Blasey Ford's allegations against Judge Kavanaugh, @KellyannePolls says "she should not be ignored or insulted. She should be heard." Conway says she's had conversations about this with Pres Trump. Also says Senate Judiciary should hear again from Judge Kavanaugh.
https://mobile.twitter.com/markknoller/ ... 5179362306

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:16 am

Of Christine Blasey Ford's allegations against Judge Kavanaugh, @KellyannePolls says "she should not be ignored or insulted. She should be heard." Conway says she's had conversations about this with Pres Trump. Also says Senate Judiciary should hear again from Judge Kavanaugh.
That is basically different from every other statement coming out of the WH, but ok.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:19 am

That is basically different from every other statement coming out of the WH, but ok.
Conway calls it "very disappointing" that Prof Ford's initial request for anonymity was breached, but her recollections of events from 36 years ago should now be heard. Says timing is up to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Cites
@LindseyGrahamSC saying it could be done tomorrow.
https://mobile.twitter.com/markknoller/ ... 6312185856

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:28 am

Conway calls it "very disappointing" that Prof Ford's initial request for anonymity was breached, but her recollections of events from 36 years ago should now be heard. Says timing is up to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Cites
@LindseyGrahamSC saying it could be done tomorrow.
https://mobile.twitter.com/markknoller/ ... 6312185856
I understand, I obviously I agree with the approach, But he initial response was, this allegation is old and doesn't change the process.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:30 am

The Accuser's lawyer doing the rounds this morning:
Was your client drinking?

"My client had a beer...The men were stumbling drunk, one only needs to look at the writings of Mark Judge –who was the other person present– to know that he wrote..that they were all drinking so heavily that they would black out repeatedly," says Katz
https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSThisMorni ... 7548627968

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:35 am

The democrats really **** themselves. If he withdraws the court will swing hard right with the next one. They realize they have until January to confirm a justice, don’t they? They’ll really fast track the next one.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:37 am

@SenatorDurbin told me he supports public testimony from Dr. Christine Blasey Ford...but this week would be too soon.
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnBerman/s ... 7706272770

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 am

I guarantee the plan of the Democrats is to hope Kavanaugh is withdrawn either by himself or the White House and then delay the next candidates hearings until after the election whereby their hopes are if they win the Senate they can then block any nomination and make a Garland argument until 2020.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:40 am

If the republicans nominate a hard right activist judge... I’ll laugh.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:42 am

I guarantee the plan of the Democrats is to hope Kavanaugh is withdrawn either by himself or the White House and then delay the next candidates hearings until after the election whereby their hopes are if they win the Senate they can then block any nomination and make a Garland argument until 2020.
They are going to **** themselves with that approach. Republicans will turn out in droves.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am

If the republicans nominate a hard right activist judge... I’ll laugh.
They still have to get the 50 votes, and to be honest, I would prefer another Gorsuch to a Cavanaugh. I'd prefer a judge with conservative principles than a political actor in the positon.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 am

Really think anyone with a conscience would think that crime is not important to bring up?

The Amy Barrett lady is faaaaaar more an abortion radical than Kavanaugh and she'll be up next.
But do you bring it up against the wishes of the woman who alleges it happened? I’m not sure what the right answer is to that.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:16 am

They are going to **** themselves with that approach. Republicans will turn out in droves.
I understand the political football here, but the same could/would have been said about the Dems and the "theft" of what would have been Garland's seat. Through no fault of his own he didn't even get a hearing, and the Dems didn't come out in droves.

This guy allegedly attempted to rape a girl in high school, and would be withdrawing over that act. You can blame Dems for holding onto the information longer than you'd like, but you can't blame them for his actions.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 am

Is KellyAnne the oped writer?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 am

But do you bring it up against the wishes of the woman who alleges it happened? I’m not sure what the right answer is to that.
The lady has already said she'd testify today if needed.

Also, Kavanaugh has lawyered up.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am

I understand the political football here, but the same could/would have been said about the Dems and the "theft" of what would have been Garland's seat. Through no fault of his own he didn't even get a hearing, and the Dems didn't come out in droves.

This guy allegedly attempted to rape a girl in high school, and would be withdrawing over that act. You can blame Dems for holding onto the information longer than you'd like, but you can't blame them for his actions.

It’s weaponizing something that should never be weaponized, regardless of whether it is true or not. It’s disgraceful.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:33 am

Disgraceful is what Kavanugh is alleged to have done.

Democrats, not knowing how to handle such an old allegation, is not disgraceful. It's perplexing, but I still don't know the right thing to do here.

I'd say it's on the Trump WH to do the right think and pull the nomination. But of course Trump is behind closed doors fuming about how old allegations can ruin people.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 am

Is it more disgraceful than the act itself?