Tennis thread

obhave

Tennis thread

Postby obhave » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 pm

I'm happy to see Osaka win, Serena had no answer for some of her serves and cross court shots. It was going to be a win-win no matter who won.

MWB

Tennis thread

Postby MWB » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:40 pm

I think she’s blunt, and like a lot of high level athletes doesn’t want to back down or admit she was outplayed.

Dickie Dunn

Tennis thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:39 pm

The treatment Osaka is getting online is horrific. **** the Williams sister, **** their supporters, and **** this apparent belief of "how dare you criticize a black woman".

MWB

Tennis thread

Postby MWB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Criticizing Osaka is beyond ridiculous. Excellent win by her and she was put in a bad situation. She did nothing wrong. And yes, Serena could’ve not said nothing an accepted it, but at the same time, I don’t blame her for being pissed.

obhave

Tennis thread

Postby obhave » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Criticizing Osaka is beyond ridiculous. Excellent win by her and she was put in a bad situation. She did nothing wrong. And yes, Serena could’ve not said nothing an accepted it, but at the same time, I don’t blame her for being pissed.
And, Serena was supportive of Osaka, comforting her, and making sure the audience cheered for her. There is a lot of criticism that can go to both the umpire and Serena, I get that. But, shocker here, I am fully in support of Serena speaking out. I think she is very sensitive to any "cheating" remarks since she is drug tested so often and I know that gets to her. Obviously the ump hit a nerve.

Osaka played a great match. Most of the press I have seen has not said anything against her, mostly that she won in a controversial match, which does a discredit to Osaka. I'm not sure what Dickie Dunn has seen?

Gaucho

Tennis thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:55 pm

And, Serena was supportive of Osaka, comforting her, and making sure the audience cheered for her. There is a lot of criticism that can go to both the umpire and Serena, I get that. But, shocker here, I am fully in support of Serena speaking out. I think she is very sensitive to any "cheating" remarks since she is drug tested so often and I know that gets to her. Obviously the ump hit a nerve.

Osaka played a great match. Most of the press I have seen has not said anything against her, mostly that she won in a controversial match, which does a discredit to Osaka. I'm not sure what Dickie Dunn has seen?
:thumb:

Dickie Dunn

Tennis thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:00 pm

Just a sampling of what I saw:

obhave

Tennis thread

Postby obhave » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Just a sampling of what I saw:

Oh, I really don't read comments or tweets, I thought you were talking about news articles. I'm no longer confused by your comment.

I'm excited for what next Osaka has coming.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Tennis thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 am

They were showing some of the Serena press conference and of the clips they ran she comes off as petulant. Then they shared a tweet from Billie Jean King saying that strong women can't control their emotions or something and if a man cussed out an ump he'd be called "outspoken" or something.

The "Feminism" angle is weak. There are a ton of examples of men doing the same and receiving similar penalties.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Tennis thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:26 am

If a man did that, he wouldn't be called outspoken... he'd be called a dick.

obhave

Tennis thread

Postby obhave » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:57 am

I think this article covers most of what I think about the entire final:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting ... -and-grace

obhave

Tennis thread

Postby obhave » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:01 am

An article by the same author about Osaka before the final:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting ... a-williams

I apparently agree with woman a lot. I honestly can't wait for more of Osaka.

MWB

Tennis thread

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:27 pm

They were showing some of the Serena press conference and of the clips they ran she comes off as petulant. Then they shared a tweet from Billie Jean King saying that strong women can't control their emotions or something and if a man cussed out an ump he'd be called "outspoken" or something.

The "Feminism" angle is weak. There are a ton of examples of men doing the same and receiving similar penalties.
That's a strange take on the King tweet, that she's saying women can't control their emotions. Yes, men have received similar penalties. However, men that would be equal to her level receiving the same penalty in similar situations? That doesn't seem to happen, and more leniency seems to be applied.

willeyeam

Tennis thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:32 pm

yeah, if a man cussed out an ump he'd be ejected

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Tennis thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:34 pm

That's a strange take on the King tweet, that she's saying women can't control their emotions. Yes, men have received similar penalties. However, men that would be equal to her level receiving the same penalty in similar situations? That doesn't seem to happen, and more leniency seems to be applied.
Interesting take:
Martina Navratilova: What Serena Got Wrong
Just because the guys might be able to get away with it doesn’t mean it’s acceptable.

By Martina Navratilova
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/opin ... tw-nytimes

MWB

Tennis thread

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Excellent read.

Troy Loney

Tennis thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 pm

I think that the judge was wrong, then Serena clearly lost it. But the judge should have just let her have the tirade and not seal the deal on this being a stupid controversy.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Tennis thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Judge known for picking odd times to strictly enforce the rules, picks an odd time to strictly enforce the rules. That's the headline, imo.

shafnutz05

Tennis thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:44 am

Serena Williams has a long, long track record of threatening officials, throwing tantrums, playing to the crowd to turn them against the official, etc. She also has a long history of claiming victimhood any time she is criticized for her behavior. She is a phenomenal athlete, and the best tennis player of all time, but she has always been a petulant brat and sore loser. Osaka played a wonderful match and is a rising star in tennis, and Serena managed to make it all about her. **** her.

Tomas

Tennis thread

Postby Tomas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Radek Stepanek's retirement exhibition: (sitting: Martin Havlat, Petr Cech, Pavel Nedved. Also present: Djokovic, Agassi, Tommy Haas, Leander Paes, Mika Häkkinen (F1 world champion),...)

Tomas

Tennis thread

Postby Tomas » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:26 am

If you decide to stay awake to see the AO finals, remember this:

She is LEFTY.

BEFORE:
AFTER:

THE FREAKIN' GENIUS Radek Kebrle (who will be sitting right behind Kvitova's coach):

Last edited by Tomas on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaucho

Tennis thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:33 am

You might want to spoiler that first photo.

willeyeam

Tennis thread

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:35 am

Bruh

Gaucho

Tennis thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:37 am

This was roughly a year ago, yes?

Tomas

Tennis thread

Postby Tomas » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:42 am

This was roughly a year ago, yes?